Overgrowing Or Not?

Ricod306

Hi guys hope all are well

I have a 5 x 5 foot tent. I am currently cycling 4 autos at a time in there and at the moment she looks like this:
IMG_20201213_170140.jpg

The cobs are roughly 405W. What I'm scared of as you can see some are stretching a lot and I fear it is due to insufficient light. The 4 in the middle are 5 weeks old and the outer ones are 9.

I am considering getting another tent. And then only putting 4 at a time in a tent. What I will be using then is a 4x4ft and then the marshydro ts 3000 light (is the yield good?) . I eventually wish to use two marshydro sp 6500 fixtures in my 5x5ft tent but now I am wondering will the autos be able to deliver to the lights full potential?

Final question in 12 weeks from seelding to harvest which is more yielding auto or photo?

Foot note: Yes I am currently focusing on quantity while maintaining current high quality. So thus I am considering to rather get one more grow tent than hurting my buds quality and quantity by reducing the amount of plants in a tent.

Lots of factors will effect yield. Strain, training, environment, growers skill etc etc. 400W in 5x5 equates to 16W per Sq.ft and you want to aim for 30-35W. You could use two of those rigs and fill that tent right up. Or just do less but more productive plants under that light. Yield difference from autos to photos over 12 weeks I'd say again will all depend on strain, environment, training and growers skill.

Just to add. In general, more light = more bud. So the right amount of lighting and training to expose more of the plant to that light. Good growers on here average 7oz per auto in 10-12 weeks. Not sure on photos. Again lots of variables. Maybe 2 tents, one veg, one flower with photos would be a good route if you want quantity and quality. Nothing wrong with autos but they're less forgiving if you have any problems.

The stretching is not down to the light conditions present & more related to dominate genetics of strain grown indica vs sativa which in the first few weeks of flowering can possible double or triple it's size - observation point.

Mainly so from photo fem strains but I'm sure this carry's on in some regards with autos.

7 oz per auto err, Mmm wet weight after drying you may get an average of between 15 - 20 %

Truth to more light + greater yield is a win win situation.

Mmm more maths, was it PAR or UMFOL... darn abbreviations - optimal point & safe hanging distances.

Oh 'n' controlling temperature... more lights may mean more heat !

That's dry weight. There's guys doing it on here. I've had 5oz dry off 3 small autos in a little cabinet.
I do hope that was a figure of speech, as that sounded like you got 5oz dry off 3 small autos which = 1 oz 1/2 dry & little extra give or take per plant.

I do hope that was a figure of speech, as that sounded like you got 5oz dry off 3 small autos which = 1 oz 1/2 dry & little extra give or take per plant.
Yes exactly. Well 2oz off two and 1oz off one grown in a 5" pot. But that's in a tiny cabinet 57x42x64cm. Not saying everyone does it but guys growing autos in larger tents can pull 7oz+ per plant.

Yes exactly. Well 2oz off two and 1oz off one grown in a 5" pot. But that's in a tiny cabinet 57x42x64cm. Not saying everyone does it but guys growing autos in larger tents can pull 7oz+ per plant.
Given the space grown in, that yield sounds amazing !

Co2 can be real Ace card up the sleeve as well.

Given the space grown in, that yield sounds amazing !

Co2 can be real Ace card up the sleeve as well.
With a 65W HLG LED board. I may have got lucky that grow and it was absolute mayhem inside the cabinet but autos can produce some good yields. I looked into putting a CO2 generator in the cabinet but something put me off and I can't remember what :laugh:

I get 15oz per auto one each in a 3x3 tent, three tents each with 450w wall pull LED lights. Overlapping limbs on multiple plants will cost you on harvest. Having just one light will hurt you, multiple lights spread coverage. In your 5x5 I'd go 3 150w good quality samsung leds with meanwell drivers.

No reason you can't run 3 and get 40+ ounces.

Hi guys hope all are well

I have a 5 x 5 foot tent. I am currently cycling 4 autos at a time in there and at the moment she looks like this:
IMG_20201213_170140.jpg

The cobs are roughly 405W. What I'm scared of as you can see some are stretching a lot and I fear it is due to insufficient light. The 4 in the middle are 5 weeks old and the outer ones are 9.

I am considering getting another tent. And then only putting 4 at a time in a tent. What I will be using then is a 4x4ft and then the marshydro ts 3000 light (is the yield good?) . I eventually wish to use two marshydro sp 6500 fixtures in my 5x5ft tent but now I am wondering will the autos be able to deliver to the lights full potential?

Final question in 12 weeks from seelding to harvest which is more yielding auto or photo?

Foot note: Yes I am currently focusing on quantity while maintaining current high quality. So thus I am considering to rather get one more grow tent than hurting my buds quality and quantity by reducing the amount of plants in a tent.

I'm still vegging at 2-3 months so your auto will yield more until I chop then my photo plants yield more just a tad later. Over time photo will out yield AUTO and also better quality depending on what you think quality is.

I run 4 plants in a 4x4 or 5x5 space, AUTOs I could run way more.

I think we might be missing the simple point of the yield !

Whether that be auto, fem or regular plant or clone of one grown out via which method the grower chooses.

The simple truth is the strain grown & what it can possible yield some of this is explained as e.g 500g per M2 with reference to SOG / SCROG methods or other training methods which may resemble lots of colas.

Some breeders may suggest other wise.

But largely yield can change widely between strains to training method used.

I think we might be missing the simple point of the yield !

Whether that be auto, fem or regular plant or clone of one grown out via which method the grower chooses.

The simple truth is the strain grown & what it can possible yield some of this is explained as e.g 500g per M2 with reference to SOG / SCROG methods or other training methods which may resemble lots of colas.

Some breeders may suggest other wise.

But largely yield can change widely between strains to training method used.
Lots of factors will effect yield. Strain,
Definitely mate. One of the big ones.

Yield depends mostly on genetics. I wood say 95% or more. We growers here to bring out the best of that last 5%.

I'd be hard pressed to be able to train an AUTO plant to yield more. I'm sure its been done.

Yield depends mostly on genetics. I wood say 95% or more. We growers here to bring out the best of that last 5%.

I'd be hard pressed to be able to train an AUTO plant to yield more. I'm sure its been done.
I am finishing up 3 Gorilla Glue Auto’s.
I up potted twice and finally into 5 gal bags.
3 different training methods.
I topped one.
I did LST on one ,
and quad line on the last.
Up potting and the majority of training was completed mostly by Day #21.
All started preflower between Day 32 & 36 .
All seeds. started at the same time , same soil , same nutrients.
I harvested the one that was topped yesterday , as she matured faster than the other two by a week or so. Maybe 10 days ? We shall see.
She gave me 490 grams of ( wet ) premium stinky , sticky trimmed buds. Not counting the popcorn and trimmings.
She was not the largest.
The plant that was trained by LST is much larger.
Comparing the yield on the topped plant , I suspect I will get well over 800 grams on the LST plant
The quad is the smallest.
This is my first attempt at auto’s so I cannot say if similar results would occur w/ other varieties ,
but I see
B76391FD-F1F0-4041-82EB-B06FF20957B7.jpeg
6A24C93D-95C5-4676-BEEA-DF6F3630B4E3.jpeg
training made a big difference w/ these.
10328540-E58E-47A6-AC6F-4BFAEE1BC099.jpeg
A8B0C089-6D76-4714-A87D-27665B1FA395.jpeg

I am finishing up 3 Gorilla Glue Auto’s.
I up potted twice and finally into 5 gal bags.
3 different training methods.
I topped one.
I did LST on one ,
and quad line on the last.
Up potting and the majority of training was completed mostly by Day #21.
All started preflower between Day 32 & 36 .
All seeds. started at the same time , same soil , same nutrients.
I harvested the one that was topped yesterday , as she matured faster than the other two by a week or so. Maybe 10 days ? We shall see.
She gave me 490 grams of ( wet ) premium stinky , sticky trimmed buds. Not counting the popcorn and trimmings.
She was not the largest.
The plant that was trained by LST is much larger.
Comparing the yield on the topped plant , I suspect I will get well over 800 grams on the LST plant
The quad is the smallest.
This is my first attempt at auto’s so I cannot say if similar results would occur w/ other varieties ,
but I see
B76391FD-F1F0-4041-82EB-B06FF20957B7.jpeg
6A24C93D-95C5-4676-BEEA-DF6F3630B4E3.jpeg
training made a big difference w/ these.
10328540-E58E-47A6-AC6F-4BFAEE1BC099.jpeg
A8B0C089-6D76-4714-A87D-27665B1FA395.jpeg
These photos are 9 days old.

Personally the only use I have for autos is for growing outside in our short but intense grow season here in northern Alberta.

Indoors they suck up too much power that costs me 23.5¢/kwh so other than breeding them I don't want them inside.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom