Oxygen concentrator with DWC bucket

Corncob

I've read here and there, about others using an oxygen concentrator (in addition) with their air stone. Upon my vast (20 minutes through Google) look into this, I've not seen a single person document the use of an oxygen concentrator for hydroponic use.

A little info on what an oxygen concentrator does. I'm not gonna post some long winded article, but I'll break it down as simple as possible. If you would like to know more, please, by all means, do a bit of research.

This machine, roughly 10"Lx12"Wx18"T, takes ambient air, removes everything EXCEPT oxygen. It's then delivered through a small tube. It is also adjustable in L/m (liters per minute). Most concentrators will go up to 5 l/m, but I also know there are units that go up to 10.

Now, some people have said,

"isn't an air stone enough?
Yes it's enough, but diffused O2 isn't what is trying to be accomplished with the oxygen concentrator. Yes, it will bubble in the bucket, but that's to be expected.

Isn't there a enough dissolved oxygen in the water already?
Here is where I believe people are misunderstanding why the con (concentrator) is being used. The diffused oxygen in ambient air, is being delivered through my air pump, at a rate of 20.9%. This is how much oxygen is in the air we all breathe. I am now delivering oxygen at a rate of 95% into the bucket. That's over 4x the amount of oxygen that a normal pump delivers.

Btw, I have an O2 meter to read levels in the room, to make sure it hasn't reached explosive limits, and my room is still at the 20.9 ambient O2 saturation.

Thanks for allowing me to share, let's have a discussion if there's one to be had.

I have one of these EverFlow concentrators that goes up to 5....how would I use this in grow tent w/ soil....and how do I use it in hydro situation plastic 5gal 6 plant plastic storage bin?

From the things I have read about it.

There would be no need for a concentrator in most cases in DWC as long as a good pump and stones are being used it will already be over the waters max DO level.

A concentrator could be used without a pump or stone to reach max DO. But that would not give you the movement in the bucket that most of us want. After max DO is reached the water can not hold anymore. So at that point you would just be adding it to the rooms air.

But that is just from what I read about it.

I am sure I am over my max DO already in my buckets with my pump stone setup from what I have read and the charts I have seen.

For most people a chiller would do much more then a concentrator to up their DO levels. Water temp is the main controlling factor of possible DO levels.

In RDWC a concentrator could be of more of a help then in DWC in my opinion.

Oh wow....@DukeO thanks for such a quick reply...I now know more than I did yesterday!
:thanks:

I would be using the contentrator as my pump....can this be done?
Would I still need air stone then?
How does one keep water temp cool in RDWC/DWC using a concentrator since it creates so much motion (not that the extra motion to create Do is bad)?

Keeping a DWC setup cool without a chiller is a big issue for a lot of us. Max DO levels for water is around 68-72f any higher or lower the water can not hold as much dissolved oxygen. Some put ice bottles or come up with others ways to keep the temps down.

Running warmer then 75F a lot of us will start to have a lot of issues with rot root and slime. I run z7 water treatment and Hydrogaurd in my DWC to have water temps up to 80f. I also run a lot of air through my stones for motion and for bubbles popping to mist the roots out of the water.

Oh wow....thanks for such a quick reply...I now know more than I did yesterday!
:thanks:
How does one keep water temp cool in RDWC/DWC using a concentrator since it creates so much motion (not that the extra motion to create Do is bad)?

"Effect of high concentrated dissolved oxygen on the plant growth in a deep hydroponic culture under a low temperature"

Most of the people on this thread don't have a clue what they're talking about, except the person who asked the original question.

Boosting O2 of highly chilled nutrient solution has a HUGE effect on growth both in veg and flower - published research shows over over two times the growth, and extremely long shelf life in vegetables and fruits.

No one has ever published the results of using medical grade oxygen in a 420 hydroponic setup because it's illegal to grow marijuana in most states, and it's also illegal to use medical grade O2 without a prescription.

That doesn't change the fact that yields, potency and taste could all be positively affected. It just means none of you broke ass punks have 2,350 to spend on a concentrator, or the medical condition to justify the prescription.

It all depends on how badly you want to know the answer to the question "How does maximum O2 concentrations affect the growth of hydroponically grown marijuana?"

Back
Top Bottom