P-91 - CFL 12Pack - SCROG - DWC 1st Grow

Re: dirtinmyears P-91, CFL 12-Pack, SCROG, DWC 1st Grow

Liking the water cure updates! I had read about it before but haven't seen an actual cure done. I might do this with some of my little popcorn buds and then use them to make a tincture or butter. (although what am I going to do with 5 gallons of trim).

Well, blew the dust off the old scale. I usually calibrate her with a 10 gram brass weight, but the stoner method is to place a US nickel (not sure on other currency :)) on the scale and it should read ~5 grams. Not the very best method as you can weigh five different coins and get five different weights... but it's great in a pinch ;)

Day_4_Water_Cure2.jpg

Shouldn't you be using a "Dime" to calibrate it? :)

I'm learning so much from you, Blue, and others on the water curing. Blue, do you think I could have done this with my partially cured buds that started to mold when I forgot to burp a couple jars (happened last year)? Seemed like all of the buds were getting a small amount of mold on them (wasn't ridiculous, but I didn't want to chance smoking moldy bud). I made the regrettable decision at the time to just dump 2z of otherwise fantastic bud into the garbage. Someone said I could have still cooked with it, and for learning purposes, I'm wondering if I could have "finished" the cure using a water cure like this... Just wondering if you or anyone else has input on this... Thanks!!

I'm learning so much from you, Blue, and others on the water curing. Blue, do you think I could have done this with my partially cured buds that started to mold when I forgot to burp a couple jars (happened last year)? Seemed like all of the buds were getting a small amount of mold on them (wasn't ridiculous, but I didn't want to chance smoking moldy bud). I made the regrettable decision at the time to just dump 2z of otherwise fantastic bud into the garbage. Someone said I could have still cooked with it, and for learning purposes, I'm wondering if I could have "finished" the cure using a water cure like this... Just wondering if you or anyone else has input on this... Thanks!!

Hey bro you could have absoutely saved your crop, sorry to tell you now but maybe it will help you or someone else down the line. Distilled water seems to work great, I've never seen any trace of mold after the WC. But for my peace of mind, on Woodsman's advice, if I'm treating for mold I'll also use some h2o2 the first day or so just to make extra sure.

Hey bro you could have absoutely saved your crop, sorry to tell you now but maybe it will help you or someone else down the line. Distilled water seems to work great, I've never seen any trace of mold after the WC. But for my peace of mind, on Woodsman's advice, if I'm treating for mold I'll also use some h2o2 the first day or so just to make extra sure.

Thanks Blue! I'm done crying about it (make no mistake, I almost did cry sorry to say). This is exactly the answer I wanted, because it'll be of big help down the line if, heaven forbid, something like that happens again. :smokin:

:thanks: my friend!

Liking the water cure updates! I had read about it before but haven't seen an actual cure done. I might do this with some of my little popcorn buds and then use them to make a tincture or butter. (although what am I going to do with 5 gallons of trim).

Thanks, I've been doing some research online at the same time the cure is happening to try and get an overall impression on the results. One thing I've noticed that is those who have done it love the smoothness of WC and the fact the buds pack more punch per gram by up to 1/3. Also, WC buds are great for making butters and oils as the taste can be lighter than air cured meds.

From those who are against it, I've learned the majority won't even try it as it takes away the smell and taste that is most often sought after. Those who have tried it and hated it often referred to it as killing the taste and bag appeal. I've yet to hear someone say it's not stronger per volume though :thumb:.

...Objectively, Those are things that I have read and seen, so once I'm done and do the smoke report, I'll have a better basis for my stance on the subject :). In your case with a 5 gal bucket of trim... I say go for it! :thumb:

..I do have that 10 gram weight ;).

Thanks for following along... I hope I can shed some more light on the subject through my own experiences and give my example to those who may have not seen or heard about it. The process has been around a very long time and is very similar to "Osmotic Dehydration"...I'll let you guys Google that one, but think "canned or jarred foods" :).

Blue is right, the cleaner the water the better. I didn't use the peroxide as I overlooked that step, but had I kept the PM covered buds I would have started using it after the first water change.

Oh, and xlr8... I was almost catatonic when I realized I had to chop early. I was heartbroken at the thought of loosing my girls after all the work and effort. Blue saved the day and restored my frontal lobotomy :rofl:

Wifey just gave me an update on the beans... ~23 hours later and 7 of 8 seeds have cracked! It will be a late update but I'll get some pics tonight.

Quick Update...

Day 6 water Cure

Today is day 6 of the water cure, the water is pretty clear in the big jar and clear in the small Jars.

Day_6_water_cure1.jpg

I left the lids off and cut up a net cup to use as a screen to keep the buds under water. I want to see if they darken up a bit faster letting the air escape with the rest of the crap in the water (although there's not much left) :)

Day_6_water_cure3.jpg
Day_6_water_cure2.jpg

I have the food dehydrator but it may run too hot. It's has on "ON/OFF" button, so it has off or ~155-160 deg. I thought about hooking it up on a timer and let it cycle on and off to keep temps down in the 90's or so. I'm going to see how quick it gets hot and then start playing with times. It would be a fun experiment (medicated :rofl:) to see if it could work and I have some time.

I'm wondering if it's gonna be "Lucky Seven" or "Easy Eight" :high-five:

Day_6_water_cure4.jpg

I was thinking -once again, medicated- and thought I might try using the Jiffy pellets as a rockwool substitue or buy expanding a few of them and breaking them up for a top layer in a good ol' red plastic cup filled with around 2/3 of FFOF. That way they could grow some roots in the Sphagnum moss and wood chips and have the food ready when they get to the soil. Please chime in if this sounds way off :rofl:

Two days ago when I was planting the veggies I put some snow peas into the pellets, the seed pack said they should pop in 5-7 days in normal sunlight and an indoor dark period... well, I stuck them under my CFL fixture on a 24/0 light cycle and one popped tonight already so I think I wanna try them out on the bagseed now :thumb:

Talk with ya soon... hey, this took soooo long to post, because I'm...:smokin:

:peacetwo:

High DIME! :Rasta:

Your water cure is going great! I like said, I'm going to try it when a get a good harvest. Can't taste anything anyway. :surf:

"High" is the key word OMM :rofl:. Thanks for the visit my friend, always a pleasure. Id love to see some more Water cures, seems like it's making a comeback. I think I'll keep doing this on future grows but dry curing the good buds.

Take care!

Hey dime! One last thing I'd try is to use some warm but not hot water, the higher temps should speed things along... between that and the nets you'll be getting all you can out of them. You're basically done so if the water's still clear after that I'd start drying them. Good luck bro.

And good luck with the beans, your broken pellets sounds good, I'm going that route right now with plugs in soil and it works great. :peace:

Hey Blue, thanks!

The water in the jars is in the mid 70s this AM and clear. I figure I'll try putting some warmer water in and most likely start drying tomorrow. I think I'm going to pull a nug or two out of the small jars and dry those for a sample :). I love samples... I'm a tad bit nervous and excited at the same time. I do plan on taking the time to trim up the buds I'm going to keep and put that trim in with the rest of the fluffy stuff for hash and butter. Next time around I'll groom them before hand and put the trim in with the fluffy stuff.

Well... The seeds are getting Planted Today! Looks like its gonna be "Lucky Seven" afterall The roots shot out like crazy overnight so In they go. Getting the cups ready after I post this. Since I'm not one to shy away from an experiment (it usually happens on it's own anyway :)) I'm going to attempt a 12/12 from seed / SOG-ish style grow. My light should keep the growth tight enough and some defoliation down the road should keep the height in range for the CFLs. I'll start that journal as soon as I see some green poking through the soil.

Farnorth, when the time comes- and we're sure she is a she- I would be honored if you would name one of the girls. I figure it will be seed #1 as she (gender influence here ;)) sank and popped first. Thanks for the help with getting them started.

Updates and pics to come later today!

Sounds like a plan my friend! Doc grew 12/12 from seed and those plants got big... like 2.5-3 zips size or roughly what you'll get vegging for a month, since that's what they do anyhow. I've been Johnny one note lately I know, but when they get to the size you want I'd break out the fiskars, unless you can handle 7 quite large plants.... nothing like what you get putting rooted clones into flower.

From your comment I take it they're not femmed? Good luck and I hope you beat the odds and they're all girls anyhow :woohoo:

To be honest Blue... This is going to be a total crap-shoot :rofl:
The seeds came from a bag of Pinapple Express from the grow-op. I have no idea if any of them will be girls. I figured Id start seven and just see what happens.

The shears are ready! My light can handle around 6-8 sq ft as that's what the twins were taking up at the end. 7 big plants... Yeah, probably not. trimming is going to have to take place.

I'm really not expecting a huge yield... This is more of a learning experience :) . My electricity bill from my setup is ~ $15 a month and I have all the supplies already so I figure... What the Hell? :rofl:

Thanks for your help Blue!

So I pulled a sample nug from the WC and it's air drying right now. I know I sound like a broken record but the trichs are all over the place :yummy:

She's not winning any beauty contests... too much fuzz on her lips :). (you with dirty minds now know who you are :rofl:)
PE_seeds4.jpg

Planted the seven seeds that cracked, and then saw a split in number 8 :thumb: so I'll throw her in a cup too once the root gets a bit bigger.

PE_seeds1.jpg

Cups are filled with 2/3 FFOF and 1/3 crumbled Jiffy pellets. I soaked the pellets earlier in a 50/50 mix of filtered tap and RO, TDS of the water read 070. I broke them up and lightly packed it down.

PE_seeds2.jpg

I've read the Sphagnum peat can retain too much water so I let them air out a bit before covering the cups with plastic wrap, and used rubber bands to hold it in place. Once they start growing a bit I'll take it off and run the humidifier/s.

PE_seeds3.jpg

I'll post a smoke report on the WC sample bud soon... it's drying fast.

:peacetwo:

DIME, that bud looks great to me, although, I never minded the girls with the fuzzy lips! :rofl:

Great job on the WC and good start on those PE's. I have to say, the PE's are real nice looking plants and smell even better. I think my PE's in veg have a stronger smell than the AK that's less than a week from harvest!
:cheer:

Thanks Mr! The WC has cut the smell down quite a bit, almost to a faint smell. I'm looking forward to smoking it later.

I'm excited about the seeds... Just hope I end up with some girls.

Take care!

Looking forward to the report dime, I think the bud looks real cool :tokin:

Just think, your whole crop will be cured and dried in a day or two :yahoo:

OK guys... I'm baaaaaked! :lot-o-toke:

I didn't take pics of the jars as they look pretty much the same but I did get some trich shots.

Day 7 of Water Cure

Day_7_water_cure1.jpg
Day_7_water_cure2.jpg

...and the smoke report :thumb:

...30 minutes later and I'm here to this point :rofl:

The sample was a tad bit damp on the inside but overall it was dry. The taste was a bit earthy with a hint of mint but felt very full like a nice wine. The smoke expands once inhaled and the exhale was smooth while the flavor kicks in again. Finishes smooth leaving a satisfied palette.

The high...well ya! :thumb:

It's a bit like couch-lock except it's in your head :). From the chest up and down the arms is almost numb. Simple tasks... like typing, take almost complete concentration. (do you know how long it took me to spell concentration? :rofl:) not even sure if that's right :rofl:

All of this from two good size rips off the bong :bigtoke:

This took 45 min. to post :loopy: GOOD NIGHT!

Looking forward to the report dime, I think the bud looks real cool :tokin:

Just think, your whole crop will be cured and dried in a day or two :yahoo:

I wonder how I missed this ^ :rofl: That bud shrank by about 40% :). I think the big jar will loose a third of it's volume when dry, which is fine since I now know to only take one hit ;)

I think maybe tomorrow or Monday it will get drained and dried :thumb:

Talk with you guys tomorrow

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom