Pacific Northwest Outdoor Grow 2017

Day one of this journal but not day one of the ladies who will be the stars of this show. I had originally planned on only growing one variety this summer, I wired a friends grow and part of the deal was access to their genetics. For me, with the position the company I work for gave me, I am very limited on free time, so just letting them know my order before they do their cloning, then picking them up at my convince has been very handy. Now it has been a few years since I spent much time around anyone who the world would classify as a stoner. When I quite smoking weed 30+ years ago, I broke all contact with old friends and anyone I discovered were still partaking. The reason was pretty simple for me. I know me, and I also knew if I was around those kinds of people I would never stop and I would go right back to smoking when ever I could get my hands on it. What can I say, I hate being a quitter. I live in a state where it is not only legal for medical, and recreational to boot. Whats a guy to do, I mean I quite smoking only because I got married then had a kid. I did not feel I had the right to jeopardize my wife or my childs future of the off chance I got busted and spent time in jail. Ok so remember earlier when I said I know myself, well I know 1st hand what being locked up does to a persons head. I got locked up for 3 different times as a juvenile and while the longest visit as only 13 month while the others were 6 months and less. every time I got locked up all my friends continued on with their lives and my life stood still until I got out. First time when I got back It was not very difficult to re adjust to being with my friends, after all it was like being gone for the summer, not that much had changed in their lives, the 2nd time it was not as easy but still doable, but the third time was the longest and when I got out, it was if I did not know these people anymore. Yes I knew their names and I had all kinds of memories of great times with them but my relationship with them was memories, but their relationship with each other had grown. I always felt that I had the absolute worst luck when it came to the law, with everything but one thing. I never got caught anytime I had anything to do with cannabis, but I also knew the kind of luck I have with breaking the law. Another thing I have had very good luck is my wife. Not that I deserve to be so lucky, if I had my way I would have had 2 ex-wifes before I even met my wife, had it not been for the other 2 woman being smart enough to not go through with getting married to me. Early on I had the worst luck with women, it was not that I could not find one, it was for some reason I was always attracted to the crazy ones with tons of baggage. Then to meet my wife,not crazy and no baggage, wholly crap I so did not want to screw that up by doing something stupid like doing time for procession of weed or something just as stupid.
So back on subject, I had originally wanted to grow just one strain this grow and one that was a good producer with a short growing time. I had planned on growing only Raspberry Kush. I like the look of the buds, I enjoy the buzz I get when I smoke it, and it makes doing chores around the house, much more enjoyable because it releases much of the pain that I currently get to enjoy. Christ growing older and have more and more constant pains is not near as much fun as I had envisioned it would be. Well I show up to get my clones and I get the old I know you wanted just one variety but here try some of this, and grab a couple of those oh and here is a new one I just got. Whats a guy to do, I did not want to start cracking seeds. Yeah I have some I could crack but being short on time, I did not want spend the time growing a bunch of plants so I could go through them and pick the ones I wanted to grow, I just wanted to go look at the plants and say , those right there, thats the ones I would like. Well I did get the ones that I felt were the strongest of the clones to choose from but just in more varieties then I would have preferred.
So for those interested, these are the varieties of plants I have:
Raspberry Kush (yep got it but just not as many as I would have liked)
Cinex (good producer with early harvest time)
Thick Wicket (enjoyable smoke, works well on my pains and a good producer)
the 4th variety slips my mind but as I recall they said I should like this one as well

All my plants were given to me as clones, well more like young teens. They were all in 1 gallon pots and it was time to transfer all but 2 of them up into bigger pots. The thick wicket were the babies of the bunch. They had just been up potted into 1 gallon pots when I got them. I transferred them all into 5 gallon pots. Thats where it all started to go down hill for me. I am tired all the time and while I was up potting, i did not pay attention to where I left one of the thick wickets and one of my chickens ate it down to a bare stump. My wife looked at it and said it was a goner but I figured what did I have to loose, I just kept watering it with the rest of the plants and surprisingly it came through just nicely, well it came through that one nicely, now the question is will it recover as nicely this time I screwed up. See While I work 5 days a week the real work gets done on the other 2 days of the week. Last weekend I spent the entire weekend building a greenhouse, removing the top 8 inches of soil in the greenhouse then tilling in 5 yards of mushroom compost. I also amended the soil with Lime, Epson salt, Bat Guano, Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Coconut Coir, and Perlite.
This weekend I got the plants moved into the greenhouse and out of the veg tent. I guess I should not of smoked a few bowls before getting started because by the time I got the last plant in the ground I knocked over the shovel on no less then 3 plants splitting the main branches and severely bringing my day down with a major bummer but thats life so I bandaged up 2 of the plants and am hoping for the best adjust trimming down the 3rd plant. Unfortunately for the 3rd plant that shovel could not of fallen in a more destructive manor, it just exploded the base of 3 major stems on the plants. Nothing could be done for her other then amputate.
Tomorrow I will post a few pictures of my progress with the greenhouse. I still have a few things left to get it up to where I am happy with it, I still have to install the exhaust fans but for the most part I am on track with where I want to be with this grow. Heck I even had time to fence in my front yard and put a chicken tunnel through the garden so my chickens can now roam the front yard as well as the back during the day. Hopefully this gesture will stop them from sneaking into my greenhouse and eating my weed.

Pictures tomorrow,
I will get them uploaded before I get uploaded :rofl:

I will start this off with two comments, one I should never, ever post when I am stoned, my lord my mind wanders all over the place. Just read some of what I wrote and even I had trouble following it :laughtwo: and number two, it has been a busy couple of weeks.

So I said I would post pictures before I uploaded myself so lets begin because I could really use an upload this morning. My joints are killing me. Feel like the scene from the Wizard of Oz with the tin-man.

So after I set up the frame for the greenhouse I covered the top and the long walls with plastic I got from a friend, then ordered a truck load of mushroom compost to work into the soil to work as the base of my growing medium. I already had some coconut coir and perlite on hand as well as most of the other amendments I had planned on tilling in. When the delivery truck dropped of the load, it was still dry out and I knew I had to get moving before the rain started back in.
IMG_137443.jpg

Unfortunately for me, I am not that fast of worker and the rains came and came hard. Now I went from hauling dry material to the back to till into the greenhouse to this slop-fest
IMG_138237.jpg
IMG_140632.jpg

I tilled it in in layers so I could get the best mix possible (least that what I kept telling myself)
On the bright side, it was nice and dry inside the greenhouse and work went on without much interruption other then the constant harassment from my other ladies who just wanted to help out by scratching the ground and looking for bugs.
IMG_137843.jpg

I had to hurry up and get this phase done soon since my only time to work on this is the weekends and my veg tent inside was getting very crowded and the ladies could definitely use some space between them.
IMG_143039.jpg
IMG_142738.jpg
IMG_142437.jpg
IMG_142535.jpg

I had no more room to give and a few of the plants suffered wind burn from being so close to the fans I have in the tent to circulate the air.
From the time I got the clones until I moved them outdoors I had to come up with a fast way to water and feed the girls since I have been doing all my honey-does during the week so I will have my weekends completely free to work on the green house. What I came up with is this.
IMG_144940.jpg

I bought an RO filter and filled a 100 gallon horse trough just outside the back door. I also bought a 1/6 HP submersible trash pump which I connected to a garden hose for watering the plants. Since I only fed them every other watering and I was watering every 2 days, I used the 10 gallon plastic barrel to mix their feed in then would use that for feedings. Makes watering so much easier and quicker when using a good shower wand, though I was not watering until I got drainage out the bottoms of the pots. Occasionally a pot or 2 would show signs of water coming out the bottom but the goal was to water thoroughly but not completely. While this method worked fairly well not all plants drink at the same rate and some would show signs of drooping leaves when it was time for watering.
After paying for the compost I decided it was time to get a bit more serious about creating my own compost. While I do have a compost bin, it is not capable of composting everything I could compost plus it does not produce enough so I doubled my composting capabilities by picking this up.
IMG_145036.jpg

It is still not enough but it is an improvement. So that is where I was last weekend, this weekend I got the ladies into the ground, though not with out beating the crap out of a few of them first. Not intentionally , but none the less through careless I did beat up 3 of the plants pretty hard which will effect the outcome of their production. So her are pictures of the ladies in their new home.

Starting with the Thick Wickets
both took a major beating and one had to have some serious amputations to doctor her back into the game.
IMG_144638.jpg
IMG_143740.jpg

Next we have a few Cinnex

IMG_144037.jpg
IMG_143939.jpg

then we have Raspberry Kush
IMG_144538.jpg
IMG_144242.jpg
IMG_143840.jpg

the one I forgot the name of is here also
IMG_144441.jpg

I finished installing the ends of the greenhouses yesterday and all I have left is to install the exhaust fans to finish out the build.
IMG_144740.jpg
IMG_143546.jpg
IMG_143345.jpg
IMG_143240.jpg
IMG_143135.jpg
IMG_141139.jpg

It is getting late, it is already 9:30 here and I still need to get uploaded myself, water the plants, and get the exhaust system in place with a thermostat installed.

Hope this was a better read then my 1st post, but now that I am legal and have no fears of being tested for work until my drug card is at least 6 months old, I have been hitting it pretty hard on the weekends and well lets just say, this is cutting into my upload time :roorrip::bong:

Have a great weekend everyone

I will start this off with two comments, one I should never, ever post when I am stoned, my lord my mind wanders all over the place. Just read some of what I wrote and even I had trouble following it

I only have that problem on days that end in Y ;) wish it was as simple as just not posting when I am stoned :rofl: too many times I read what I wrote later and go "huh how the heck did I get from point A to point B" :rofl::rofl:

Nice looking setup going :thumb:, I will try and follow along for the ride as life tends to keep me busier than I would like to be ;)

Day one of this journal but not day one of the ladies who will be the stars of this show. I had originally planned on only growing one variety this summer, I wired a friends grow and part of the deal was access to their genetics. For me, with the position the company I work for gave me, I am very limited on free time, so just letting them know my order before they do their cloning, then picking them up at my convince has been very handy. Now it has been a few years since I spent much time around anyone who the world would classify as a stoner. When I quite smoking weed 30+ years ago, I broke all contact with old friends and anyone I discovered were still partaking. The reason was pretty simple for me. I know me, and I also knew if I was around those kinds of people I would never stop and I would go right back to smoking when ever I could get my hands on it. What can I say, I hate being a quitter. I live in a state where it is not only legal for medical, and recreational to boot. Whats a guy to do, I mean I quite smoking only because I got married then had a kid. I did not feel I had the right to jeopardize my wife or my childs future of the off chance I got busted and spent time in jail. Ok so remember earlier when I said I know myself, well I know 1st hand what being locked up does to a persons head. I got locked up for 3 different times as a juvenile and while the longest visit as only 13 month while the others were 6 months and less. every time I got locked up all my friends continued on with their lives and my life stood still until I got out. First time when I got back It was not very difficult to re adjust to being with my friends, after all it was like being gone for the summer, not that much had changed in their lives, the 2nd time it was not as easy but still doable, but the third time was the longest and when I got out, it was if I did not know these people anymore. Yes I knew their names and I had all kinds of memories of great times with them but my relationship with them was memories, but their relationship with each other had grown. I always felt that I had the absolute worst luck when it came to the law, with everything but one thing. I never got caught anytime I had anything to do with cannabis, but I also knew the kind of luck I have with breaking the law. Another thing I have had very good luck is my wife. Not that I deserve to be so lucky, if I had my way I would have had 2 ex-wifes before I even met my wife, had it not been for the other 2 woman being smart enough to not go through with getting married to me. Early on I had the worst luck with women, it was not that I could not find one, it was for some reason I was always attracted to the crazy ones with tons of baggage. Then to meet my wife,not crazy and no baggage, wholly crap I so did not want to screw that up by doing something stupid like doing time for procession of weed or something just as stupid.
So back on subject, I had originally wanted to grow just one strain this grow and one that was a good producer with a short growing time. I had planned on growing only Raspberry Kush. I like the look of the buds, I enjoy the buzz I get when I smoke it, and it makes doing chores around the house, much more enjoyable because it releases much of the pain that I currently get to enjoy. Christ growing older and have more and more constant pains is not near as much fun as I had envisioned it would be. Well I show up to get my clones and I get the old I know you wanted just one variety but here try some of this, and grab a couple of those oh and here is a new one I just got. Whats a guy to do, I did not want to start cracking seeds. Yeah I have some I could crack but being short on time, I did not want spend the time growing a bunch of plants so I could go through them and pick the ones I wanted to grow, I just wanted to go look at the plants and say , those right there, thats the ones I would like. Well I did get the ones that I felt were the strongest of the clones to choose from but just in more varieties then I would have preferred.
So for those interested, these are the varieties of plants I have:
Raspberry Kush (yep got it but just not as many as I would have liked)
Cinex (good producer with early harvest time)
Thick Wicket (enjoyable smoke, works well on my pains and a good producer)
the 4th variety slips my mind but as I recall they said I should like this one as well

All my plants were given to me as clones, well more like young teens. They were all in 1 gallon pots and it was time to transfer all but 2 of them up into bigger pots. The thick wicket were the babies of the bunch. They had just been up potted into 1 gallon pots when I got them. I transferred them all into 5 gallon pots. Thats where it all started to go down hill for me. I am tired all the time and while I was up potting, i did not pay attention to where I left one of the thick wickets and one of my chickens ate it down to a bare stump. My wife looked at it and said it was a goner but I figured what did I have to loose, I just kept watering it with the rest of the plants and surprisingly it came through just nicely, well it came through that one nicely, now the question is will it recover as nicely this time I screwed up. See While I work 5 days a week the real work gets done on the other 2 days of the week. Last weekend I spent the entire weekend building a greenhouse, removing the top 8 inches of soil in the greenhouse then tilling in 5 yards of mushroom compost. I also amended the soil with Lime, Epson salt, Bat Guano, Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Coconut Coir, and Perlite.
This weekend I got the plants moved into the greenhouse and out of the veg tent. I guess I should not of smoked a few bowls before getting started because by the time I got the last plant in the ground I knocked over the shovel on no less then 3 plants splitting the main branches and severely bringing my day down with a major bummer but thats life so I bandaged up 2 of the plants and am hoping for the best adjust trimming down the 3rd plant. Unfortunately for the 3rd plant that shovel could not of fallen in a more destructive manor, it just exploded the base of 3 major stems on the plants. Nothing could be done for her other then amputate.
Tomorrow I will post a few pictures of my progress with the greenhouse. I still have a few things left to get it up to where I am happy with it, I still have to install the exhaust fans but for the most part I am on track with where I want to be with this grow. Heck I even had time to fence in my front yard and put a chicken tunnel through the garden so my chickens can now roam the front yard as well as the back during the day. Hopefully this gesture will stop them from sneaking into my greenhouse and eating my weed.

Pictures tomorrow,
I will get them uploaded before I get uploaded :rofl:

Looking forward to seeing the greenhouse progress. I'm an outdoor grower in the UK and I also make use of greenhouses from time to time so I will follow your journal for sure. You certainly prepped it well so hopefully that prepped soil mix, the greenhouse and the genetics should pay off. Good luck man. :()

I only have that problem on days that end in Y ;) wish it was as simple as just not posting when I am stoned :rofl: too many times I read what I wrote later and go "huh how the heck did I get from point A to point B" :rofl::rofl:

Nice looking setup going :thumb:, I will try and follow along for the ride as life tends to keep me busier than I would like to be ;)

Thanks for the compliment. I completely understand how life can eat up a lot of ones time. Though since posting this morning and after uploading myself, I got a wild hair up somewhere and decided to add a few more plants in the greenhouse. I just figured why not since I have the room. I added a couple of peppermint plants because I heard that many insects do not like them and i added bell peppers, leeks and a lemon tree. Though the lemon tree will be kept in a pot so I can move it inside for the winter. Was also thinking about possibly putting in some strawberries but that will have to wait till after I upload some more. Still have not got my exhaust system set up either and with the forecast, I may want to upload heavily and just get it done today.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Scrolling through trying to locate my grow journal and saw your PNW reference so I thought I'd stop to say what up!

welcome StonyMagoo

It got hot as hell yesterday at work and I was freaking out at work worrying all day that I may have closed up the greenhouse to early without putting in enough exhaust venting. All day I was imagining coming home to wilted baked plants. When I finally got home yesterday it hit 91 degrees. To my surprise the plants all looked great, no signs of wilting. I do think I will be adding more ventilation though this coming weekend.
We are expecting another hot day today and I sure wish I had more ventilation now but so long as I keep a very close eye on them and make sure they do not run low on water I think I will get through this till the weekend when I will have more time to deal with this.

It hit 90+ degrees here yesterday and today, while it did cool down it was stolen the 80s. I was a bit concerned that the girls might not deal with the temps very well since I just got them moved out and into their new home. Took a few pictures when I got home from work today and it looks like they are doing just dandy.
IMG_147337.jpg
IMG_145640.jpg
IMG_145834.jpg
IMG_146033.jpg
IMG_146128.jpg
IMG_146232.jpg
IMG_146338.jpg
IMG_146442.jpg

Now if we could just get some low 70 degree days I will be stressing less.

It hit 90+ degrees here yesterday and today, while it did cool down it was stolen the 80s. I was a bit concerned that the girls might not deal with the temps very well since I just got them moved out and into their new home. Took a few pictures when I got home from work today and it looks like they are doing just dandy.
IMG_147337.jpg
IMG_145640.jpg
IMG_145834.jpg
IMG_146033.jpg
IMG_146128.jpg
IMG_146232.jpg
IMG_146338.jpg
IMG_146442.jpg

Now if we could just get some low 70 degree days I will be stressing less.

They're looking good. I've also heard and read some cannabis doesn't like extremely high temperatures but my only experience is cannabis loving the hot sun. How's the humidity in your area climate at the moment? By the way the DIY greenhouse you built is awesome . those fans you installed should help keep your girls cool. Great job so far my man.

Have you thought about being able to vent your greenhouse. Around here in Tennessee you see a lot of setups like yours and they will take like an old wood frame window on hinges and prop this thing open during hot daytime temps..

Nice setup ..

Thanks J-dog once we get a place out in the country I plan on increasing the length by another 20+ feet and going with 50 feet and installing a light deep system.

Damn son...!!

Actually I am surprised I do not see more of these around, it was really cheap to build.

They're looking good. I've also heard and read some cannabis doesn't like extremely high temperatures but my only experience is cannabis loving the hot sun. How's the humidity in your area climate at the moment? By the way the DIY greenhouse you built is awesome . those fans you installed should help keep your girls cool. Great job so far my man.

It is Oregon so humidity can be an issue but normally when it it gets really hot the humidity levels drop. This week we are getting light rains but it has been around 70 to 74 in the greenhouse all day. I had to shut down the main exhaust fan and close up the greenhouse.

Have you thought about being able to vent your greenhouse. Around here in Tennessee you see a lot of setups like yours and they will take like an old wood frame window on hinges and prop this thing open during hot daytime temps..

Once we get more land I will be putting in roll up sides and a light deep system. I already have the designs and most of the materials on hand. What I really want to build is a geothermal greenhouse but until we get some land out in the country that will have to wait.

So here are a few pictures I took today when I got home from work in no specific order.
IMG_156727.jpg
IMG_156629.jpg
IMG_156532.jpg
IMG_156430.jpg
IMG_156233.jpg
IMG_156127.jpg
IMG_156029.jpg
IMG_155630.jpg
IMG_155526.jpg
IMG_155239.jpg
IMG_155037.jpg
IMG_154938.jpg
IMG_154831.jpg
IMG_154733.jpg
IMG_154437.jpg

next weekend I hope to have the time to do a little trimming on the girls. Clean them up a little.

Howdy
Did not get time to trim the girls up but did get around to giving them their first feeding of nutrients since I put them in the ground. I was a bit reluctant to feeding them since my soil consists so heavy with mushroom compost amongst other things. I feed the girls with a top dressing of worm casting watered in with a feeding of flora nova and Alaskan Fish fertilizer. That was 3 days ago and since I have only given water. The soil in the greenhouse tends to dry out a whole lot faster then my regular garden of fruits and veggies. I am only watering my fruits and veggies every 3 to 5 days depending on weather conditions but in the greenhouse the longest I have gone between watering is every other day.
When we had the hot spell where the temps were in the 90's I had to water every day but now that we are back down into the 80's I am only watering every other day.
I had planned on using wire fencing to wrap around the plants for support. I have 2 that are already wrapped and one that I am doing a old SCROG I had laying around. Now I am rethinking if I want to use fencing on them all. I have a couple of other ideas I want to give a whirl and see which one is the easiest for me to use. I hope to get at least most of the plants supported this weekend, though I have been informed by the wife that we will be going down to Portland for the Rose Parade Saturday morning.
Here are a few photos of the girls that I took this afternoon once I got home from work.

This is a Champagne before I started tucking the branches
IMG_162225.jpg

IMG_162328.jpg

This is after a few minutes of tucking
IMG_162628.jpg
IMG_162525.jpg

Next we have the two Thick Wicket's
One is supported with wire fencing the other will be supported with another method yet to be determined.
Both of these plants had a shovel dropped on them by accident and took some major damage when they were transplanted.
IMG_161633.jpg
IMG_156233.jpg

next we have 3 Cinnex plants
IMG_162030.jpg
IMG_161730.jpg
IMG_161826.jpg

last but not least we have 3 Raspberry Kush
IMG_162030.jpg
IMG_162130.jpg
IMG_163126.jpg

no signs of pests yet though I am sure they are coming. I planted Peppermint in the greenhouse because someone told me that many insects do not like Peppermint. I also have a few pepper plants, some leeks and this weekend I will be adding a cherry tomato plant into the greenhouse as well. I am a big fan of eating my own fruits and veggies. Besides saving a few bucks at the store I know exactly how they were grown. Right now we are enjoying fresh strawberries and I am pretty excited about the fact the wife told me that the raspberries should be ready pretty soon. After those comes the blueberries.
Life is pretty good here in Oregon. I know there are many people who will say that the Portland area is not conducive to growing outdoor cannabis, they claim that the rains in the falls will ruin your crop and you will end up loosing most of your crop to bud rot. Well I am here to tell you it is possible and not that difficult to do. Is it idea conditions? Hell no, the only idea conditions I know of are growing indoors but everywhere has their own set of issues they have to deal with to keep their crop from going south.

Hope everyones gardens are green and fruitful,

Back
Top Bottom