Paintedbudman's Hydroponic GDP Grow In New Tent And New LED Lights

1 day in soil, Looking pretty good but this is one stage where at times I have had trouble. For no reason I know of, very rarely, the small growing seedling will just fail. Head turns down and stem shrinks then dead. This has happened twice in my 6 years of growing but always a concern. Got my fingers crossed. If she makes it to seeing first leaf set, she'll be fine (give her ~2-3 days, I think usually). Currently she is ~1/4" tall and hunkered down like an old man with a sore back, but maybe I'm just projecting though :laugh:.

Could be due to the seed turnaround. Next time I plant I will try it your way. Makes sense, always have had a problem with the seedling lifting the seedcoat off the ground. With what you showed me, the root will push the seed into the ground giving it something to push against as splits the seedcoat as well as something to hold the seed in place while it pulls the seedling out.

This morning the seedling head was turning down and the dicot leaves were drying and turning brown on the outside without opening up enough to let the little first pair of leaves out. So, I performed surgery and removed one of the dicot leaves to allow light to the first pair of real leaves. I've done this once or twice in the past. The first time was inadvertent. The seedcoat was sticking the dicot leaves together and I was trying to remove it and broke off one of the dicot leaves. It grew just fine from there. In fact, it grew better than other plants I hadn't messed with that had similar issues in the past. As usual pics below.

Maybe I'm odd or have a weird sense of humor but look what I found lurking around the new seedling when I zoomed in to take a very close look at the leaves. An extremely small dog can be seen sheltering by the seedling. LOL, anybody else see a white dog face peeking out at you too??

As promised weekly update on data collected from spreadsheets. No graphs yet but as data collection continues, I will start showing some graphical representation.

First is chamber data.

Next is plant information

Any questions, comments, thoughts, ideas, etc., etc. I am always looking forward to input. You never know where that next great idea will come from! Thanks!!

32k lux for a new seedling seems very high. I shoot for under 10k in the first week or two.
Also, if you can raise the humidity I would try for 70%.

Happy Growing.

I do have a plastic cup over the seedling most of the time attenuating the light and keeping the humidity up at least right over the plant. Can't really control the humidity in the grow tent environment much right now. Cold temperature air doesn't have the moisture in it and the heating/air conditioning setup uses a lot of external air for makeup and as such pushes the humidity down to the mid 40s. I've tried a couple of things in the past but if I managed to get the humidity right then I had temperature problems. I decided to deal with the humidity and keep the temperature under control. On the light, I'll claim a bit of ignorance here. Never really had an issue in the past but my old lights were almost all the burple LEDs. My new light is different and I'm on a learning curve. I'll reduce the light and see if that helps. I have been meaning to calibrate the dimmer with the lux readings for a bit now but was too excited about the planting to get it done .... might be a good time today. BTW I haven't measured the Lux reading under the plastic cup ... might be another good thing to do today.

I just measured the LUX under the small white plastic cup I use to cover the seedling. I measured 9400 lux, right in there where you suggest. BTW just for information here is a pic of the pH, EC, and LUX meters I have been using.

I'll try it and let you know. Might do some good to have the fan blowing right on the wet towel to help interrupt the vapor boundry layer and bring more water vapor into the air.

She is still having trouble, but I haven't given up on her yet. The stem still seems to be the same thickness as it was ... I've seen this neck down when the seedling gives up the ghost sometimes. The leaves and stem still seem flexible. I'm not ready to drop another seed yet but if things don't turn around in the next day or two, I guess I will have to. Regardless, here is a pic of her currently. FelipeBlu, I may get a chance to try out the proper seed planting technique sooner than I thought.

Also, took the advice to reduce the light intensity. I was looking at calibration and it's doable but is a pain. The adjustment knob doesn't do anything until you are almost halfway around. The remainder adjusts the lux from ~8000 to ~32000 lux but there are no numbers around the knob, so it's all judgment calls on the reading. Figured I would just adjust the intensity to where I choose using the LUX meter and set the dial appropriately. I was thinking of adjusting the light to maintain ~700 ppfd or 38500 LUX (used a conversion I think is close for my light) at the canopy top.

Still hanging in there. The little girl's leaves are very nice green and seem to be bending to gather more light. Looking pretty good, just going to slow things down a bit. Thats ok, I'm going to be gone for a week after the 1st and I really didn't want to come back to an out-of-control plant. I've got someone watching things for me, but they know just enough to water the plants. Anyway here is todays picture ..... I had the wrong side of my scale forwrd LOL. I checked and on the right side and she is about 7/8" tall.

I agree FelipeBlu. I was looking very closely with a magnifying glass and a light I think I can see the next set of leaves just peeking out .... but we will see. Should be easily seen in a couple days if I'm seeing what i think I'm seeing.

The girl still appears healthy if slow moving. I turned the lights up a bit (went from 9900 lux to 11200). I will continue to increase light intensity slowly over the next week and a half or so. Here are two pictures. She stands 7/8" tall unless you want to include the stretching leaf. In which case, she is 1.125" tall. Note the small leaflets growing in the center. Still small but distinct this morning. Yeah!!!! :yahoo::cheer::woohoo::goof:That is the best indication to me that she will be fine. If she can make new leaves then she will grow out of the little problem of a bent stem.

This morning I added 2 gallons of water and also increased my EC from 464 to 731 by adding 50ml Flkoragrow, 25ml floramicro, and 25ml of calmag+. The little girl is growing but slowly, still only 7/8" tall but her little leaves are getting bigger and the second set of leaves are very obvious now. Looking good .... pretty sure she will survive now!!

Back
Top Bottom