Panama x Malawi - Probiotic & Organic Indoor Soil Grow

look up Doc Bud's bud washing forum. After harvest you can easily get the crud off. Its really basic and really effective.

Won't the new flower material that grows grow over the flakes and envelope them making bud washing not able to get them? That's why I'm trying to spray them off now.

It's these little white flakes I'm talking about. At first I thought they were some kind of pest or pest sign, but I've looked at them up close at 120x and they don't look like anything organic. I basically have to turn my sprayer from a spray to just a stream and literally water-log the buds to get the stuff to wash off because it's just sticky as hell, it's like little flakes of glitter.

IMG_20171207_124836.jpg
IMG_20171207_124843.jpg
IMG_20171207_124856.jpg
IMG_20171207_124910.jpg

My first thought was bud washing as well, or just trimming the stuff off, but I'm worried that since I'm only a little half-way through that the flowers are going to further envelope and enclose around the little flakes. I guess for now I'll just keep trying to wash a little bit at a time :/

They still look really good, but man I'm just gonna be thinking I'm smoking these little flakes now... :( Got most of them off, and the ones around the edges didn't get any on them ( another reason I don't think it's a pest sign of some kind )

IMG_20171207_130250.jpg
IMG_20171207_130243.jpg
IMG_20171207_130052.jpg
IMG_20171207_130047.jpg
IMG_20171207_130039.jpg
IMG_20171207_130017.jpg
IMG_20171207_130006.jpg
IMG_20171207_130000.jpg

I'm not sure if these purple colors in there are really there or if it's my lighting o_O

Well I have heard that indicas supposedly benefit from heavy defoliating near the end of flower, and from what I'm seeing, they do it less naturally while it seems like sativas do it more naturally. Aren't the Blue Kush and Blueberry indica dominants?

The Blue Kush is a 50/50 and the Blueberry is indica dominant 80/20

Won't the new flower material that grows grow over the flakes and envelope them making bud washing not able to get them? That's why I'm trying to spray them off now.

You can pick them out once you cut if the bud wash doesn't work. I am finding a few flakes of the material that my predator mites came with on my buds as I am trimming them....I just pick them out.

The girls are looking great Fert! I would keep trying to spray them off and keep an eye on them. Again, I think that bud washing will get most of them off or at least to the point where you only have to pick a few off as you trim up the buds.

Don't worry much about the "dust" there... Once you hang the plant to dry and them during the trimming you will be able to pick that stuff off... bud wash too is good.

Your flowers look GREAT .... all you really need to do is water.... the plants will start to eat up the fan leaves as it gets closer to harvest. I let that happen. several reasons too first of which is less trimming, and then the flowers taste better with less chlorophyll in them. The whole reason we dry and cure buds really.

Looking at your clones.. that's where I see something up. Your soil mix is either pretty strong in something OR you are over watering. Dead green leaves is a bad sign.

First thing I do is make sure I'm not over watering. Easy enough just wait for the pots to get light weight, then go easy on the watering until the plants start to get bigger.

Your flowers look fine... you mentioned your foiler you wanted to use a few days ago... you can foiler on EWC tea as much as you want. I always dilute the teas with water tho... Kelp and EWC are my go to and also I've been using Horsetail Fern tea - make it just like you make black tea - hot water steep until cool then into the fridge and then dilute with water and foiler on. That will get rid of any mold/PM issues as well as give the plant a lot of micro nutrients.

You're doing great... it's easy to overthink... easier to just water a few times and wait out any issues. They will either get worse or get better. Most times nothing we can do.

Don't worry much about the "dust" there... Once you hang the plant to dry and them during the trimming you will be able to pick that stuff off... bud wash too is good.

Your flowers look GREAT .... all you really need to do is water.... the plants will start to eat up the fan leaves as it gets closer to harvest. I let that happen. several reasons too first of which is less trimming, and then the flowers taste better with less chlorophyll in them. The whole reason we dry and cure buds really.

Looking at your clones.. that's where I see something up. Your soil mix is either pretty strong in something OR you are over watering. Dead green leaves is a bad sign.

First thing I do is make sure I'm not over watering. Easy enough just wait for the pots to get light weight, then go easy on the watering until the plants start to get bigger.

Your flowers look fine... you mentioned your foiler you wanted to use a few days ago... you can foiler on EWC tea as much as you want. I always dilute the teas with water tho... Kelp and EWC are my go to and also I've been using Horsetail Fern tea - make it just like you make black tea - hot water steep until cool then into the fridge and then dilute with water and foiler on. That will get rid of any mold/PM issues as well as give the plant a lot of micro nutrients.

You're doing great... it's easy to overthink... easier to just water a few times and wait out any issues. They will either get worse or get better. Most times nothing we can do.

Oh were the clones in solo cups in the picture you saw? They were definitely in hot stuff then I had to transplant them into stuff I diluted down. Here they are now. They're reveg'ing because I took the clones a little too far into flower. Hoping you just meant the old pics...

IMG_20171208_155251.jpg
IMG_20171208_155245.jpg
IMG_20171208_155239.jpg
IMG_20171208_155227.jpg
IMG_20171208_155222.jpg
IMG_20171208_155214.jpg
IMG_20171208_155204.jpg
IMG_20171208_155157.jpg
IMG_20171208_155151.jpg

Oh and as for over-watering, I have never gotten the hang of feeling the weight of pots. Maybe I'm just too strong ( ha ) but whenever I lift a pot up and it's not fully watered it just feels light to me. Like there's no sensing of the between. So I bought one of these meters and "calibrated" it. I let the plants get wilted looking and put the meter in, they came back 2-3 range, and so I just use this meter and when it gets to about a 4-5 (or at most a 3) that's when I water.

IMG_20171208_155312.jpg

As for the tape-flakes, I've got most of the dust off by hand, except I'm leaving the specs on the sugar leaves because I am not worried about those ones getting "enveloped" and will just be able to wash/trim them off. Also it's definitely the duct tape or enamel. I compared a spec of it under 120x to my dandruff and it doesn't even look close; plus it melts into a golden brown glob when placed close to an open flame. So definitely don't wanna end up smoking that stuff.

Old story, 15 years ago or so, I use to smoke old school Mexican schwag with some buddies and one of them was basically a walking lung. He would hit an entire bowl in a single bong-rip; and I mean this isn't nice-tasting stuff like we have now. Anyway, one day our bowl broke, and he had the ingenious idea to wrap it back onto the down-stem with duct tape. I really wasn't sold on the idea, and was worried about breathing in duct tape fumes, so he packed a bowl and started ripping it and my other friends said, "See it's fine?" just as the tape melted, bubbled, and basically dripped off along with the bowl piece. It was the first time we'd ever seen our friend the lung cough as he realized he just smoked a heaping help of duct tape. So the rest of the story... Well let's just say I've had my fill of smoking duct tape.

Thanks Bob. Well hopefully I'm just back to the waiting game now. I hate it when it's just waiting, but it's better than when something is going wrong!

True story on the trimming part. I chopped the first of my ATFs and it had lost most of the fan leaves that yellowed early on. Didn't take much of anything at all to trim that bad boy up. I am now officially a fan of fan leaves yellowing and falling off on the back half of flower! Looking forward to testing the better taste too.

True story on the trimming part. I chopped the first of my ATFs and it had lost most of the fan leaves that yellowed early on. Didn't take much of anything at all to trim that bad boy up. I am now officially a fan of fan leaves yellowing and falling off on the back half of flower! Looking forward to testing the better taste too.

Yeah I kinda wish they hadn't yellowed though because I kind of like to save my leaves for juicing. But at least it will save a bunch of time in the long run.

The Panama x Malawi is supposed to be a 12 week strain according to ACE, but I don't know how long this Maddog (Platinum GSC x Cherry OG) needs. Still seeing white pistils on it at week 7 so I don't think it will be a 9 week strain like the PGSC was. Guessing another 3 weeks. Sadly I don't think any of the blackberry kush pollen got me any seeds.

Day 54 of flowering. I think the Maddog is pretty close, it's getting mostly cloudy. I'm guessing it is a 65-70 day strain.

IMG_20171212_145604.jpg

The Panama x Malawi is still going along okay, more of the leaves are yellowing up as time goes on. Supposedly it should still have 30 days more flower period. Meanwhile I bought some brushes to help brush out some of those little duct tape flakes. So far it's working pretty good, the more sticky the brush gets from the trichomes, the more readily it picks up the flakes. I just have to be careful not to accidentally brush them onto buds underneath of them.

IMG_20171212_145938.jpg
IMG_20171212_145912.jpg
IMG_20171212_145905.jpg
IMG_20171212_145744.jpg
IMG_20171212_145732.jpg
IMG_20171212_145727.jpg
IMG_20171212_145719.jpg
IMG_20171212_145653.jpg
IMG_20171212_145641.jpg

Meanwhile, USPS tracking shows my soil sample made its way to the lab but still no word on the results. They say they take a little while longer if you don't send it in with their little sampling box. I don't mind the wait just hoping it goes through without a hitch.

I also realized the most obvious way to pollinate all these in the best way, and I really don't know why it didn't occur to me before. As I have 2x clones of each plant, I will just flower each Panama x Malawi clone and the Maddog clone in the flowering tent and have a crop similar to what I'm doing this time, and in the other tent I will reverse the other clones to male for pollen collecting, and then collect the pollen from them and pollinate a branch of each of the other plants.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your soil sample. I need to get mine in. I have the forms printed out, I just haven't mailed in any samples. I am going to send them three samples.....a batch of unused KindSoil, a batch of unused Stank Soil and a batch of used Stank Soil. I want to compare mine vs the Kind Soil and then see mine after a run and get an idea of what I have to work with in the 2nd run.

Well today is officially 8 weeks of flower. I'm still working on manually brushing out all those duct tape specks. I don't know how they got everywhere they did! They're up on the underside of leaves even. For a second I thought maybe they were some kind of pest after all but I couldn't find any pest insect that looks like crystaline specks of white enamel with no uniform size or shape.

The buds are starting to become pretty distinguished in terms of phenotypes, and I think there's 3 distinct types I can make out. One is pretty bright green in color, very vibrant orange pistills, very resinous and compact smaller buds. There is another that is a little darker in color, it tends to cluster up into big fat colas, and then there's one that seems to be a mix of the two.

So far I really like the color of the PxM #3, I'm not sure but I think it's more Malawi dominant and the darker green ones with the fat clustering colas are probably Panama. I'm guessing that because Malawi is supposed to be what gives the most resin production, and the bright green ones are a little stickier in my opinion. There's definitely a wild smell to it that I just can't describe at all, and I mean, that would seem to jive with an African strain more than a Central American strain--the Malawi genetics are much rarer, so less likely I've smelled anything like them before.

I've got the colas strung up like marionettes because they didn't really bend up like I wanted them to, and I want to get them a little closer to the light. I pulled off a lot of dead leaves, I'll be surprised if there's any fan leaves left on these by the end of the 12 weeks. Meanwhile the Maddog's leaves are just starting to yellow out, and I think they'll be ready a little before the Panama x Malawi if I want to let them get fairly amber which I might just for the heck of it.

IMG_20171214_140602.jpg
IMG_20171214_140505.jpg
IMG_20171214_140702.jpg
IMG_20171214_140753.jpg
IMG_20171214_140802.jpg
IMG_20171214_140808.jpg
IMG_20171214_140822.jpg
IMG_20171214_140912.jpg
IMG_20171214_140916.jpg

Oh, and here are some shots of the Maddog. Too bad I pruned the plant so severely, there's probably less than half an ounce on the whole plant.

IMG_20171214_151000.jpg
IMG_20171214_150939.jpg
IMG_20171214_150911.jpg

Well I got my soil tests back. I'm kind of disappointed because I didn't realize they wouldn't be testing Nitrogen. Anyway it seems that it's got plenty of everything else it needs, would like to get the pH down between 6.5-7.0 though. I don't really know if that CEC % is low or what all the saturation percentages mean. Considering this is similar to the flowering mix except 2x in nutrient concentrations I think I understand why I was seeing burn now. I'm kind of annoyed though, that they would offer nitrogen recommendations without actually testing the nitrogen content--so much for not guessing.

SoilTestReports.png

Well I have more bad news, I was looking over the buds still trying to brush out all the duct tape bits, and I noticed seeds developing. I don't know how as I have been examining these pretty closely and haven't found any male flowers, but the pollen had to have come from somewhere. I think it happened when my power went out and I had to reset my light timer.

It's especially troubling because now I'm not sure if I can bud wash if there's seeds in the bud.

Well I have more bad news, I was looking over the buds still trying to brush out all the duct tape bits, and I noticed seeds developing. I don't know how as I have been examining these pretty closely and haven't found any male flowers, but the pollen had to have come from somewhere. I think it happened when my power went out and I had to reset my light timer.

It's especially troubling because now I'm not sure if I can bud wash if there's seeds in the bud.
You can still bud wash even if it has seeds if they fall out they float to the top n jus pick em out n save em if u want if they r good enuf to save that is lol. And it it sounds 2me like she prolly hermied on u alil bit. If anything happens to change my light pattern in my flower tent when I have my purple kush going she tends to make a few hermie seeds as well. And u mentioned ur light timer had an issue so It was prolly that altho i could be wrong. Jus my 2 cents worth for what ever thats worth haha.

Back
Top Bottom