Papaya Goes Soil - CFL - 2nd Grow - Soil Grow Journal

Thanks for the reps! Yes im in love with the HPS. These colas are so formed and dense. Its crazy how different they look from my CFL grow. Im going to continue with the 600 for a couple of months and i may switch to a 1000 or go with 2 600 watts! Either way im with HPS!

made a believer out of me - HPS all the way!!

I thought love was only true in fairytales
Meant for someone else but not for me
Love was out to get me
That's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all my dreams

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind
I'm in love, I'm a believer
I couldn't leave her if I tried

I thought love was more or less a givin' thing
But the more I gave the less I got
What's the use in trying?
All you get is pain
When I needed sunshine I got rain

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer

Love was out to get me
Now that's the way it seemed
Disappointment haunted all my dreams

Oh then I saw her face, now I'm a believer

Yes I saw her face, now I'm a believer
Said I'm a believer, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
(I'm a believer)
Said I'm a believer, yeah
(I'm a believer)
Said I'm a believer, yeah
(I'm a believer)

Monkees - I'm A Believer Lyrics

lmfao.........................

those buds are f-in HUGE - OMG!! - Kudos Hunter!

Haha! Thanks brother! It was amazing that just about every cola that wasn't bent because it was out of room was almost the exact same. Even the smaller buds on the lower colas were the same. They all were Hand and fist size i was so shocked when i started cutting them out! Next grow they are going to be even bigger!! =)

Also im in the market for a vaporizer! I have every other smoking device why dont i have a true desktop vaporizer yet!?!?

Haha! Thanks brother! It was amazing that just about every cola that wasn't bent because it was out of room was almost the exact same. Even the smaller buds on the lower colas were the same. They all were Hand and fist size i was so shocked when i started cutting them out! Next grow they are going to be even bigger!! =)

Also im in the market for a vaporizer! I have every other smoking device why dont i have a true desktop vaporizer yet!?!?

i gave you an Honest review in my thread about your vaporizer question - hope it helps!!!

Yea when i saw your buds i was OMG OMG OMG OMG - cant wait to harvest - i wanted to scream with excitement -
You and skybound really helped me step out of my closet LED grow - If i could just keeping repping you both i would!

lol just noticed we both have 630 something posts lol -

Great looking buds there HN.. +1 for you sir.

A question tho...

Why keep a mother plant at all?

IMO they take up space and waste nutrients! An extra light to keep it alive also adds to the electricity bill..

A suggestion, if you can clone successfully, just take clones of your plants 2 weeks before you put them into flower. When your plants in flower are done, your clones will be ready to go into the flower tent/room and spit out 10+zips each!

I can suggest the Arizer Extreme Q. Its awesome. I own one. I didn't buy it from the sponsor page because why when i could pay less for it everywhere else?

Its basically a Storz & Bickell Volcano Vaporizer, but 1/3 the price! Worth the $200 delievered to my door price i paid. Also got a free grinder and some smelly proof bags with my purchase.

Thanks everyone!!!

Also thanks for the review mrrobert and greenthumb! I went ahead and went with the Arizer Extreme Q 4.0 Vaporizer w/ Remote! It was $144 and free shipping and ebay owed me $30 so i got it for $114! It will be here by the weekend. Cant wait!!!!! These buds should be good and dry by Saturday! Couldn't fork over $669 for the volcano (digital one)..... I could buy 4 more 600 watt HPS kits for that!! haha

Greenthumb, also about the mother plants. I just built my aero cloner and havent really tested it out yet. Once i get things going since i now just built 2 new rooms i may take your advice. Before if i cloned 2 weeks before flower the girls would be to big before i would have the tent for them. I vegged for the flowering time with these past two papayas and it was a pain. But i now have space!!!! But im also taking my tent down and just keeping the 2 new rooms i built. One is 4 X 3 and the other is 5.5 X 3.

Im also wanting to try out and test new strains so you are correct there really is no need for mother plants. I love my papayas but a 6 month run with only them im wanting to see something different at this point. And plus im only doing small grows with 2 plants most likely so mother plants would not be in my best interest!

Thanks for the advice!

Exactly..

Here is what you should do.. take cuttings 2 weeks before you send a plant into flower, that way the clone has 2 weeks to root, which is usually long enough for most cloning methods. I had roots in 7 days in my bubble cloner, and i have a good amount of roots out the bottom of my rockwool clones, after 3 weeks tho. they were rooting in a week, fully rooted in 2 weeks. Which proves my point that 2 weeks is long enough for most people to propagate roots from cuttings. Some people faster than others!

Once the original plant is done flowering, you will get an idea for how your clones of that plant will be. If you like the look/smell/taste, keep running it. If it isn't all that great, its a pain to grow, etc, then you know and you wont take clones from the new plants about to go into flower. Or you can toss the plants that you know you wont like and move onto another strain.

The thing with mother plants, is like i said, it takes up space, and nutrients, and your time that you could use for other things. If you had friends who grew as well and wanted to buy clones from you, then yea, that would be a reason to keep mother plants.

And wicked for getting the Arizer Q.. i have the same one you got.. it literally does the same that the volcano does but for a fraction of the price!

I put my heating element at 390 - 400 - i like to make sure i got everything the first run - some like it a little cooler

let it heat for about 5 mins

grind weed

place weed in bowl and place bowl on heating element with NO FAN ON

Let the weed "de-carb" for for about 5-10 mins with no fan

roll the bag up and attach the bag to the filling nozzle - i like to roll the bag and make the bag filling force the bag to unroll - i found it makes for a better fill with less air.

Turn the fan on low - i only use the low setting - anything higher puts too much air and not enough vape for me (unless your in a rush)

let the bag fill for 3-4 mins or so

BAM bomb ass flavor - bomb ass high :)

At 410 ish i only need one run to cash the bowl out for me - the second run after that is not very tasty - or you can get two runs kinda keeping the temps at 390 - all up to you :)

anything over 400f and you are inhaling toxic Benzene

The reason a Vaporizer is a vaporizer, is isn't meant to be used at lower temperature settings. for me, 188 degees Celsius is the highest temp i will take my Arizer Q which is 370F.

Here's a temperature chart to gauge how hot you want your Arizer Q. Test out all the different temps and see what you like best!

Vape_temp_chart.jpg

remember it all depends on how resinous your cannabis is. I get some pretty dank sticky here in BC, and i have to sometimes let the buds dry out before i even grind it up and put it in the vape in order to actually get a decently thick vapour

Thanks mrrober and greenthumb!! You guys are such help!

Bud is drying nice! Its been 58-60% RH since i chopped. Im going to jar it tomorrow on thanksgiving! I put some samples in a jar with my humidity monitor and it went over 70% so thats why im going to give it till tomorrow. Tomorrow will be 4 days drying. My humidity has been perfect for this drying session. I believe thats what happen to my last papayas.

Cant wait to get my 2 new rooms ready and my tent down. Ready to get my next grows underway!!!

Went ahead and cut the 2 papayas the rest of the way down. Im not going to keep them and they were in my way. By, by papaya! Ill see you next time when i order more seeds!

Here is what i cut off the remaining of the 2 girls.

11262.png

it sounds like you are being a little impatient brother!

An early chop, 3 days of drying (too soon). Whats the rush? :laughtwo:

A quick dry will leave your buds smelling and tasting like hay, or dried grass. A longer slower dry will help bring out the terpenes, oils and the aromas of your buds. Also 3 days of slow drying might also be too soon and you will have soggy buds in your jars. If you are using humidity packs (i'm assuming Boveda packs) let your buds dry till they are starting to feel dry on the outside, then put them into your jars. Burp your jars daily for 10-14 days and you will have yourself some nicely cured smoke!

The buds look great, and you should ensure you do everything you can to keep them that way!

No rush greenthumb! The only reason i took them earlier than i wanted is because of the yellowing and dying leaves. As you can see in some of my pics the buds had dying sugar leaves and they were starting to look bad since i had flushed. As far as the drying your guide said 3-4 days and no longer than 5. So at day 3 mark i jarred a few of the buds to see where the humidity was. My RH has stayed at 60% in my dry room for a nice slow dry. The humidity of the buds in jars at day 3 were over 70% so of course i left them for the 4th day of drying. Today they feel dry on the outside and dont have that fluffy wet feel. Nice and firm and sugar leaves are crispy. The stems fracture as you said and dont break. It has now been 96 hours drying at 55-60%. I now have jarred my buds and going to give them a nice long cure with the 62% humidipaks. I let my last papayas dry out to fast with low humidity so i did everything to keep it around 60% this time. I will burp the jars and buds daily for the next 2 weeks.

I guess im kinda confused Greenthumb as your guide says 3-4 days but you are telling me thats to soon? I just want to make sure i do everything right this time! From my limited experience the buds are now ready for jars. If i let them go the 5th day they will be to dry for a good cure in my opinion!! Whats your take on it greenthumb?

Update!

So its time to see how much weight we have!!! Let me start off by saying im very very pleased with everything. A couple of things i will do different on my next grow but i love learning and advancing in the hobby! Its so addictive and fun. Let me say i have EXCEEDED my goal and expectations from this grow!!

Total weight: 513.3 grams!

I have 451.9 grams of jarred smokable bud a little over 16 ounces!!!

i have 61.4 grams of smaller buds for butter (not in the pictures). I tossed a few bigger buds in this also! I love my edibles! I should be able to make 2 pounds of butter (8 sticks) with this. I can cook multiple batches of cookies and things with that much.

I also have at least another half ounce that still is drying from the cut last night! They are smaller buds though and prob use them for butter as well.

Im so happy with this grow like i said and am really pleased how well the SCROG did and that HPS is just freaking amazing. I will buy a bulb every month if i had to for it lol.... Like i said a few things will be changed for the next grow but small learning curves. This was the first time i grew with soil so i did start my flush a little to early. I didnt know it would start dying off in a matter of days.

I still cant believe the amount i got from these two girls. I kept cutting and cutting haha.. I have now accomplished my 1 pound goal! Thanks everyone! Im going to try for 2 pounds on my next 2 plant scrog! hahaha we will see how that goes.... I came very close to my 1 gram per wattage light on this grow. I couldn't have ask for better results number wise. Going to test out this 600 next grow. Maybe i can exceed 1 gram per watt!! :cheer:

Here some pics!

11271.png

11272.png

11273.png

11274.png

11275.png

11276.png

11277.png

11278.png

11279.png

112710.png

112711.png