Partisan Bickering Could Derail Medical Marijuana Bill

Jacob Redmond

It looks like the Charlotte's Web Medical Access Act of 2015, sponsored by U.S. Rep. Scott Perry, R-York County, will need some kind of miracle to pass the House - a miracle on the order of, well, Charlotte's web itself.

If you recall the classic children's tale, the compassionate and literate spider spun words ("some pig," "terrific") into her web to save Wilbur's bacon.

Maybe Rep. Perry can find a real-life Charlotte who can weave a web to persuade his colleagues to approve legislation that would remove federal barriers to medical marijuana.

"Pass this bill!"

"Be compassionate!"

"What if your child suffered from seizures?" - though that one might not fit in a web.

Why all this pessimism?

Because Gov.Track.us, a nonpartisan government transparency site, recently said Rep. Perry's bill (as well as a companion bill in the Senate) has about a 2 percent chance of passage - based on such factors as bipartisan cosponsorship.

Two percent?

That's discouraging.

H.R. 1635, the "Charlotte's Web Medical Access Act of 2015," which was introduced by Reps. Perry and Bob Dold (of Illinois' 10th Congressional District) in March, is named after Charlotte Figi, a little girl from Colorado who suffers from a rare form of epilepsy. Her parents say she has received relief from a medical marijuana concoction called "Charlotte's Web." The "web" is low in THC and high in cannabidiol - which doesn't actually get you high.

Rep. Perry's bill would allow use of cannabidiol, or CBD, in a limited number of medical applications.

"Many of my colleagues have been approached in their districts by families whose children suffer from severe epilepsy," Rep. Perry said. "People across the nation are being forced to consider geographically breaking up their families to move to states that allow CBD treatment. The federal government shouldn't break up families who are just trying to help their children. Were I in a similar situation, I'd want the same for my children; and CBD oil offers great hope for relief. I applaud the Senators for taking action. These kids and people like them deserve a chance at a healthy and productive life and our government shouldn't stand in the way."

Some have argued the bill is too limited. But at least it would be a step in the right direction.

Unless or until the Charlotte's Web bill passes, it will be up to states to determine whether CBD can be used for medical purposes - and many have done so.

Unfortunately, that doesn't include Pennsylvania yet - and perhaps not in the immediate future.

The state Senate passed a bill sponsored by Sen. Mike Folmer, R-Lebanon/York counties, that would allow CBD to be used to treat a limited number of ailments.

But now it's in the House. And medical marijuana proponents were dismayed to learn it's been assigned to the House Health Committee.

According to a recent PA Independent story, the chairman of that committee, Rep. Matt Baker, R-Tioga County, strongly opposes medical marijuana.

Legislative committee systems exist for a reason - to give bills full and fair hearings.

But too often committees are where good ideas go to die - both in Washington and in Harrisburg.

One or a small handful of naysayers should not be allowed to stand in the way of providing relief to those whose illnesses have not responded to traditional medicine.

Charlotte, where are you when these suffering souls need your persuasive powers?

14593.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: EDITORIAL: Partisan bickering could derail medical marijuana bill
Author: Web Staff
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: The Mercury: Breaking News, Sports, Business, Entertainment & Pottstown News

Back
Top Bottom