Patient's 2020

Oh fine sir. Thank you for stopping by. I am an ardant DIYer. I haven't built my own light...yet. Who knows? Yes please on that page number. Or i can try and do an "advanced search" for title and member name.

I am sticking to organics because i don't do have time to tend to much and I eyeball more than measure.

i added the date link above on my post :)

looks like this but thicker i let it out a little , the bottle was full but i used in some teas along as using for ph down
just keep somewhere cool and dark
P1110597.JPG

For those that read this thread... ;) ...that home made fish emulsion is a failed attempt. I used tap water for it. DOH! Our tap has chloramines and they kill microbes. So my brew turned out incomplete and has not taken on the right smell. I am not done. This is not my last attempt. Though, the next attempt will be documented in my other thread "Patient's grows". I will treat my water for like I used to for compost tea. I added Top Fin (PetsMart) water conditioner and my brews always worked. Totally overlooked and learned the same lesson twice. Never try and brew anything microbial with tap water...evah' evah' evah'. It kills it!

Have you used EM1 in any of you mixes, soils or compost teas.
I use it for my outdoor container gardens as organic as possible. If I were growing cannabis outdoor organic I would for sure use it, and indoor organic also. I grow in a small area so I have to get my best yields possible so I go Coco/Perlite DTW. This has worked best for me over the years.
I do add the spent coco from my previous grow into the compost pile an I also add EM1 to my compost pile.

I wake every day assuming they are gone.
Oh Man - I get that - I'm way out in the woods but on a highway - when it starts getting close to the end I get a bit antsy!!! It was way worse last year - and I didn't even know that the stuff I had I probably couldn't give it away!!! It is nice to be able to lock up the greenhouse but if they want it I'd probably have to replace glass as well. For some reason I didn't worry as much this time.

I will start digging on the matter. I have never heard of it. Thank you very much.

It is basically multiple strains of Bacillus bacteria, same bacteria in your gut. A Japanese Dr. of Agronomy created it, interesting story, you may look it up.
It is used to make Bokashi also, which is fermented food waste.
I was in the golf maintenance biz during my career and starting in the early 90's I began using more organics on my properties, by the mid 90's I was using vermicompost in me topdressing mix for both the greens and tees. I then progressed to making composteas of different types for the time of year and goal for that compost. Closed every Monday I have two crews on tractors pulling tanks around from green to green or tee to tee to spray them with a 5 gallons of compost tea with additives per 25 gallons of and each green would get 5 gallons of solution per 1000 sqft of green surface.
Has a 1000 gallon mix tank by my pump station that I would make the day prior and let it brew for 24 to 36 hrs the spray the golf course. Always had plenty to spray all of the floral bed and shrub around the club house and one the course, my horticulture person loved that.

Sort of look at EM1 for plants, it does so very much. Like FECO/CCO does wonders for humans.

Yeah...I am currently on the verge of Korean Natural Farming. It will be a while before getting there. I have harvested Lactobacillus and started researching fermented plant juice and fermented...ehh. it's been a while since looking those up, but I am probably leaning towards that path of organic DIY. Bokashi and trichoderma...been reading, not lately. It is what my grow is slowly evolving to, I believe.

If anyone has followed y'all know i am in search of a cheap All Purpose with low numbers, like a 2-2-2. I ran my BlackWater on my Bonsai nutes. It kicked butt! Now i am out an Kellogg's isn't making anymore. Sooo...desperate times...
I found a thread by Terroir Seeds' (gardening) Stephen Scott. It describes how to brew your own fish emulsion. Given my need for a cheap All Purpose and seeing what the BlackWater is doing, i may just try this. Letting sardines rot in a mixture of Kelp & Molasses w/compost. Stir for a month. Strain floating solids. Pee-Yew! The results are undeniable with the BlackWater. My Bonsai's are hungry. I am redneck enough. ;)

-copied from Terroir Seeds site-
Fish Emulsion Feeds Your Plants
Fish emulsion has been a go-to product for the organic and natural home gardener for years now, as it has proven its effectiveness in feeding the soil and plants with biologically available nutrients while increasing soil and microbe health. The main drawback to commercial fish emulsion is the cost and the smell. While we can’t do anything to help you with the fishy smell, we can help you make your own fish emulsion that will not only save you a lot of money in product and shipping costs, but just might make a better product than you can buy! This homemade fish emulsion will almost always supply more nutrients than commercially available, but also supplies much more beneficial bacteria from the brewing process. In order to ship, commercial emulsions have little to no active bacteria, because they make containers swell as they continue to grow!

All fish emulsions are good organic nitrogen sources, but they also supply phosphorus, potassium, amino acids, proteins and trace elements or micro-nutrients that are really needed to provide deep nutrition to your soil community and plants. One of the benefits of fish emulsion is that they provide a slower release of nutrients into the soil without over-feeding all at once. It is usually applied as a soil drench, but some gardeners swear by using it as a foliar fertilizer as well.

Adding seaweed or kelp to the brewing process adds about 60 trace elements and natural growth hormones to the mix, really boosting the effectiveness of the fish emulsion. The seaweed or kelp transforms the emulsion into a complete biological fertilizer. Beneficial soil fungi love seaweed. Dried seaweed is available at most oriental grocery stores. The amount you need to add will depend entirely on your soil needs. If you are just getting started in improving your soil, add up to a cup of dried seaweed or 2 – 3 cups fresh. If your soil is doing pretty good then add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of dried seaweed and up to 1 – 2 cups fresh.

Making Your Own Fish Emulsion
Fish Emulsion Ingredients

To make your own, obtain a dedicated 5 gallon bucket for this project. Trust me; you won’t want to use it for anything else once you’re done! Buy 10 cans of herring type fish such as sardines, mackerel or anchovies. Sourcing these from a dollar store or scratch and dent store makes perfect sense, as you don’t care about the can and aren’t going to eat them.

Zeus with Compost

Rich, well-aged compost is a key ingredient to great fish emulsion, as it has lots of active microbes and other biological life which will help kick-start the fermentation of the fish. A good compost hunting dog is not required, but really helps. We’ve found the Doberman breed to be very helpful in finding just the right compost! Dalmatians do a pretty good job as well.

Adding Compost to Bucket

Fill the bucket half full of well-aged compost, aged sawdust or leaves, or a combination of all three. You are looking for the dark brown, crumbly compost that smells like rich earth.

Adding Water to Compost

Add water to about 2 inches from the top…

Adding Sardines

add in the cans of fish, rinsing the cans with the water to make sure you get every last drop of the “good stuff”. The juices or oils in the can will breed beneficial microbes and supply extra proteins.

Blackstrap Molasses

To supercharge the brew, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of blackstrap molasses to provide sugars and minerals to the fermenting process. The sugars also help control odors. Next, add the chopped or powdered seaweed to the mix. If you need extra sulfur and magnesium, add 1 Tbs Epsom salts.

Stirring Compost and Sardines

Stir well and cover with a lid to control the odor, but not tightly as it will build pressure as it brews.

Be Careful!
NOTE – Make sure that flies do not get into the bucket or you will have a marvelous breeding ground for maggots! One solution is to drill several holes in the lid for the bucket and glue screen mesh on the inside of the lid, allowing air flow but keeping those pesky flies out. Remember, you are brewing the most delicious aromas the flies have ever smelled!

Let it Ferment
Let it brew for at least 2 weeks, a month is better. Give the contents a good stir every couple of days.

Once it has brewed for a month, it is ready for use!

There are a lot of ways to use this brew, so be creative. Some folks will strain off the solids, put them in the compost pile and use the liquid as a concentrated “tea” to be diluted with water. Others keep everything together and stir the mix well before taking what they need. What you have is a supply of bio-available nutrients in a soluble form.

Use as a Soil Drench and Foliar Fertilizer
For a soil drench, use 2 – 3 Tbs per gallon of water and apply to the roots on a monthly basis during the growing season. 1 Tbs per gallon of water makes a good foliar fertilizer. Just make sure to apply it by misting during the cooler parts of the day, not drenching the leaves in the heat. Half a cup per gallon will give your compost pile a kick start.

This brew will keep for at least a year, but you might want to make fresh each season. If you need less than 5 gallons, halve or quarter the recipe. It will smell, so store it where the odor won’t knock you out. I don’t trust the “deodorized” fish emulsions, as to remove the odor, some component of the fish product was removed either physically or chemically and is no longer available as a nutrient
Good info. Blending the fish to a pulp speeds up the process. Me and the missus get the fishes guts from the fishmongers for free and use that in our home made stinky stews. Not good for indoor grows though. Tried it once and the house stunk like a dumpster on a summer's day.:oops: just catching up on the thread. May take me a while to get through.
Well written by the way :thumb:

@Squiggle spoiler alert. It goes south. I used municipal water. I know better. I friggin brew teas! Man, I will never get back the time I have had to learn stuff twice. Always treat tap water for chloramines.

Jadam farming/gardening may interest some of you :) its the road im taken now :peace:
Made a quick brew yesterday Today at 2:00 AM
looks like this after one night ;)
Be super careful with brewing POOP lol cant stress this enough, it can be dangerous
I used homemade EM1

P1110844.JPG

P1110845.JPG

Jadam farming/gardening may interest some of you :) its the road im taken now :peace:
Made a quick brew yesterday Today at 2:00 AM
looks like this after one night ;)
Be super careful with brewing POOP lol cant stress this enough, it can be dangerous
I used homemade EM1

P1110844.JPG

P1110845.JPG
That looks nasty. Does it smell as bad as it looks?
Thing is though , it's all natural and full of goodies. Not like all the chemical products that are out there and most importantly, it free.
Nice one:thumb:

@Squiggle spoiler alert. It goes south. I used municipal water. I know better. I friggin brew teas! Man, I will never get back the time I have had to learn stuff twice. Always treat tap water for chloramines.
Damn. You have ruined the ending of the story now;)
What a shame and I feel your pain.
Municipal water is essentially toxic and we drink the stuff. We will never stop learning and we can only learn from our mistakes.
I've been married twice, that was a mistake. I will never get that time back. Or the money :p

No doubt I will be dropping a few more comments on this thread as I get through it. Speak soon
Squiggz

Well this outdoor season has come to a close. I am starting an indoor grow for seeds. I am pairing a BluSkunk & Harley-Tsu. See what we get. My 2nd run will be to try and unlock the auto gene in some f2's. I paired my Skunk with a NYC Diesel auto. Those off spring have half auto genes.
20201028_153326.jpg

Viewing the punnet square on the left, we pair photo & auto. The photo is homozygous for non auto genes "aa". The auto is homozygous for the auto gene "AA". The pairing gives all off spring the gene. Since the auto gene is recessive, it doesn't surface due to the photo gene being dominant. These are the "f1's". In the punnet square on the right, we breed the f1's together. By breeding the f1's together to get f2's, we unlock the auto gene in 25% of the f2's.
"This is mathematical and not how it works in real life." J.C.
Been waiting for somoeone to bust this outt!! And it looks like you had some success @Patient Puffer :bravo:

Sorry to spoil it Squiggy. I wish I could go back and put a disclaimer on that bucket of fish emulsion I started. Definitely don't attempt it without good clean water. (as nutty says)

The treated water would have allowed the microbes to populate the bucket. I could have a top of the line FAA (fish amino acid). Instead I have a bucket of literal garbage needing to be dumped in a hole.

We all learn. My feet are getting under me, finally.

Finally made it through to the end.
Fantastic journey and comical with it, some amazing plants and awesome harvests. Shame about the stinky bucket though.

You are highly skilled my friend and I have learned a lot from this thread

:thumb:

Thanks for the ride mate

Squiggle

Back
Top Bottom