Patient's Bonsai

I see housekeeping of threads is paramount here, this thread should be short lived. @admin if this belongs somewhere else, please move it. (Synopsis) I drove for a dispensary and had access to great herb. I collected some seeds along the way. Blue Cheese, Mango, Lavender Skunk, etc. I was about to run out and crossed strains and inbred them to alleviate a seed deficiency. I have lost great phenos due to lack of a cheap reliable clone method (popsicle form passive wick tutorial coming soon) and a place to save the clones. At my old grow forum, a fellow grower had a thread showcasing his veg cab. I incorporated his ideas. He also turned me on to a link...
I will go over what was useful about it and what wasn't. Here is my Franken-Box.
20200909_185829.jpg
She started out as 5 ft breeding box. Upon seeing other's builds and my excess height, i spliced on a couple more feet to it.
20200909_185920.jpg
The top section (clones) has a slatted floor to allow the PLL bulbs underneath to heat the reservoir i use in my cloning method. It keeps them at 80°. Right where it needs to be for the technique. Plastic mesh keeps Solo cups from tipping.
20200909_185943.jpg
I called 1000bulbs and told them what i wanted. They told me what i needed. I ordered a 45w centium ballast for 2 - 4 pin CFL (PLL) bulbs. The order cost me about $76. I wired the ballast outside the box and wired them up. My phenos arent as healthy as possible. I haven't kept up on my trims, but they are fed. They are past due for annual root trim that i have yet to ever do.
20200909_190021.jpg
This is the bottom flower chamber. I have yet to flower in here since modifying it. I need to cover the sides of the box within a few inches of the reflector to eliminate light infiltration and some black paint for the sides. This section is currently helping along some new phenos from this year's outdoor grow. I won't lose a prized pheno again.

Getting back to that "Bonsai thread". The gentleman is very thorough and detailed. I applied his method but didn't follow his technique. I took cuttings and once rooted i placed in Solo cups. Then once seeing roots i transplant to square pots. (6"×6"×6") I used pure compost and packed the hell out of the medium. Make sure the sides are packed down but NOT too packed. I also mixed in Perlite with the Compost to break it up a bit. I found my clones weren't rooting or growing by packing the media too tight. Despite getting good compost, my Bonsai's need to be fed. That's another subject. I am looking for something new. The nutes need to be organic to keep from any nitrate build up and the usual deficiency is Mag. I occasionally does them with some Epsom Salt (1 Tbsp/1 gal) and it fixes the issue.

My current pheno collection includes AC/DC, Harley-Tsu, BlueSkunk (male), LimeSkunk, SourSkunk...etc. Most i have made. I am still searching for a good Mango. I lost this year's pheno to pests. She's alive...just infested and outside.

I have lost great phenos due to lack of a cheap reliable clone method

Cheapest reliable method of rooting cannabis cuttings is to cut an end off with some leaves on it, stick it in a glass of water, and place the glass on your kitchen windowsill until the thing roots. That works nearly every time. Well, most methods do, really, on a plant that'll grow roots from a branch when its weight brings it into contant with the ground for a while, lol - but that one is probably the cheapest ;) .

I have had terrible success at cloning. The wife can chew it off and spit on it and it will grow. I have experienced <25% success. I may have over tended or under. I don't know. The method i was turned on to is very hands off and increased my terrible success rate to nearly 100%. i have read about the water&cup method, but i have yet to try it. Its not like rockets taking off or interstellar space travel. Its just a simple method for a person like me that has zero time to tend to stuff. It goes along the lines of my super soil. Set it and forget it. I totally changed my ability to keep a plant. @TorturedSoul

Screenshot_2018-11-04-21-04-18-1~2.png
Found an old pic on its maiden run. BlueCheese and Mangoes in there.
Screenshot_2018-11-04-21-03-08-1.png
not much of a foot print but enough for some indoor fun. This indoor fun occasionally results in outdoor successes...
Screenshot_2020-02-10-08-21-30.png
Skunk×Mystery
Screenshot_2020-02-10-08-20-12.png
Blue Water f2 - (Harelyquinn×Sour Tsunami) × BlueDream

@CannaFish There is no strain in particular. I have inbred my Mango seeds when i was about to run out. Strain? Clueless, actually. I have seen this seed grow short and tall. The short ones are rare and a pic up above shows a short male being the pollen donor for the Mango(ish) seeds i have. My brother has grown out these seeds and has produced some superb sativa smoke. Flavor was like Mango candy and a high that seemed to have no ceiling. The one I am growing this year is decent. I flowered the donor mother and sampled. So i believe the owner of the dispensary billed it as Mango Kush. He really didn't know what he had. Good guy, though.

I have had terrible success at cloning. The wife can chew it off and spit on it and it will grow. I have experienced <25% success.

Wow. I used to mess with things like Rootone, Olivia's Cloning Gel (and then feeding the newly-rooted clone with Olivia's Cloning Solution). Put together an aerated bucket thing with a floating platform to stick the cuttings through. Most everything rooted. Couple other gizmos, same success rate. Never did care for the humidity dome crap, because I want to see roots, not rot. But tried most things, and they all worked. Even did that thing where people strip off most of the leaves, and hack bits off of the ones they leave attached. <SHRUGS> Wanted to see what the fuss was all about ;) . Stuck them in dampened vermiculite, perlite, soil... combinations of two or more of those things. Added a little coco coir if it was laying there alongside the other stuff, basically whatever was handy. It all works. Took cuttings, got interrupted, wrapped them in damp paper towels and stuck them into the refrigerator for anywhere from several hours to overnight. Once found one laying beside the couch the next day (I knew I hadn't miscounted, LMAO) - talk about a "wet noodle." If it's been a while, I'll cut a fresh end at a nice angle. And I like to arrange things so the mother plant has been fed within the last day or so (not a problem if it's a hydroponic grow, of course) to ensure that the cutting has an adequate amount of nitrogen in it, but if it's a healthy plant that's kind of a given anyway. Once you've pulled a badly wilted cutting out of the bottom of the refrigerator (or off the floor :rolleyes: ), stuck it in something like a container of water or damp media, and returned an hour or so later to see it "standing at attention," you sort of stop thinking/worrying about it, and learn to leave them alone so they can get on with life. I suppose if it's receiving way too much light, there might be an issue with it expending its resources on "green growth" instead of producing roots. If it's over 100°F or under 50°F. If you allow the medium (or cup) dry out before the cutting has formed any roots, or have it in an environment that is so humid that you're discouraging/inhibiting transpiration, it'll make things difficult for it. Give it a good drink to begin with. Wait for it to start to wilt (from thirst), and give it another good drink. Pretty soon, you'll either see roots or (if you've planted it in something) notice that it's a wee bit larger than it was the day before.

If you experience problems in the future, just post exactly what you're doing and the environmental conditions. Someone will probably notice what the issue is, and let you know.

I didn't get the "water method" from a book, BtW, or from one of these Internet forums. That came from watching Mom. She doesn't grow cannabis, but she grows lots of other plants - and it seems like she's cut a piece off of just about every kind of plant she's ever grown or seen, and rooted all of them that way. She's grown plants from the tag end of a bunch of celery and the bottom of an onion, too, after they've been in her refrigerator for a while (as she got around to eating the rest of the thing). She doesn't even usually bother to change the water, so she occasionally grows some algae, too :D .

I have had terrible success at cloning. The wife can chew it off and spit on it and it will grow. I have experienced <25% success. I may have over tended or under. I don't know. The method i was turned on to is very hands off and increased my terrible success rate to nearly 100%. i have read about the water&cup method, but i have yet to try it. Its not like rockets taking off or interstellar space travel. Its just a simple method for a person like me that has zero time to tend to stuff. It goes along the lines of my super soil. Set it and forget it. I totally changed my ability to keep a plant. @TorturedSoul
Hey bro. I have been cloning in coco! It’s super easy, take a pot of coco, like a gallon size. And stick about10 cuttings in it spread out. Use Clonex or whatever rooting hormone you want.keep misting them a few times a day. In about ten days start checking for roots and get them in their own pots. Don’t let the roots get tangled. Or get you a 5 dollar plastic seed starter and fill with coco nad do the rest the same.

@Enjoil
I do appreciate all this help. I pack a popsicle form with Vermiculite. The popsicle form rests in a Pyrex filled with water. The Pyrex rests above those PLL lights and stays heated at 80°. I keep the level up on the water and that all I have to do. No dome. No misting. It's guaranteed to work. I have come across a tough to clone strain. It's my BluWater strain. She can develop heavy lignation (barkiness). For some reason the cuttings usually are barky. They get bark quickly. Leaving me with a tough to clone strain. I keep searching for a phenomenon of it that doesn't do that. The BluWaters hit occasionally. I also have a couple of strains that clones easily.

For my mothers, I use a bottle to feed them. I was using Kellogg's All Purpose (Fish emulsion, Kelp w/molasses) 2-2-2. It is/was spectacular and was exactly what I needed. I started using Kellogg's after AgeOld (Fish hydrosylate, Kelp) 3-3-2, got pricey. Now Kellogg's All Purpose is non-existent. Like they quit making it. Amazon doesn't have it. (Boom) So I am searching for a new All Purpose Organic liquid fertilizer. I ran out and got some Dr. Earth (pump & grow) 2-2-2. It says it uses food remnants. Smells like soy sauce. We will see. I am trying it out on my Bell Peppers. While searching the web I found this AgroThrive
Screenshot_2020-09-10-22-34-30_1.jpg
They have a free offer for a couple 4 oz bottles. They have large bottles and I am not ready to just drop cash on something I haven't seen used yet. I am going to use this for an indoor grow and see what happens.

My question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a organic all purpose liquid fertilizer? ...relatively inexpensive is a plus.

20200911_144824.jpg
Seriously, this stuff arrived in 3 days. (Wth) Amazon Prime isn't that fast. These are only 4 oz jugs and couldn't run a plant outdoors all season. This is enough to grow a few small ones indoors just to see. I used to be in awe of those jugs of nutes with teens and what not. 13-11-25. I am over that show. The more i am growing i am finding that less is more. I am running a BlackWater (MendoPurp genes) on an All Purpose 2-2-2.
20200911_073041.jpg
No complaints here. Those low numbers are just fine with me. They (AgroThrive) has sent some nomenclature to read and i will be going over to learn a bit about their product.

I also would like to add... @stoneotter
I only water and feed 1/2 strength nutes weekly. As i said i am busy. ;) Given the time between waterings i find my bonsai pots stay moist longer when they are mulched on top. My Bonsais have had the power dip out on them for 3 days twice. Some have shriveled up due to being dry, these plants aren't topped properly...i really have ran these through the ringer. I may start over as i have new CBD clones...hmmm...the new phenos are what i want to keep. These current ones havent had a root trim either in 1.5 yrs. I really am not caring for them properly. I should be doing better with them.

I've been growing KC Brains Mango for several with good success (mrs cough's favorite meds).
Not the heaviest yield but a nice, mild buzz that helps with her get through the day. She can't smoke so we decarb it and fill capsules for her to take every few hours.
Of you were close by or I'd offer ya a cutting, but i highly doubt it as it would be pretty ballsy to grow outside here in prohibition land

@Southerncough
I believe the Mango i have to be a KC Brains, now i am not sure anymore. I was on the fence about it, now i don't know. You say yours is mellow. This one i have is quite uplifting and energetic. I took a couple seeds from a dispensary strain and bred with it to produce what i have today. The plant grows on the tall side, light green color, buds 12"+ outdoors about the girth of a banana and smells like Mango. Occasionally a short pheno will pop out of the seeds. Oddly enough, these are usually a male.

Back
Top Bottom