PatMySwayze's COB LED THC Bomb Auto Organic/Coco 2017- How Fast Is Fast?

PatMySwayze

420 Member
Welcome to my first journal, the name is PatMySwayze and the name of the game for this grow was how fast and easy can I grow a small personal stash of high quality bud indoors.

Strain:
So I chose Bomb Seeds THC bomb auto which boasts "finishes flowering in only 65 days from seed indoors."
This is my first auto I have ever grown but after reading the following from their site I was sold:
"THC Bomb Auto is a classic in the making; a fast finishing, super potent, autoflowering white strain."
And claimed THC levels of "Very High (18-22%)" So with that it ticks all the boxes fast and potent I'm sold.
IMG_394715.JPG

IMG_4523.PNG

Growing medium:
I used the "Promix" organic from my local grow shop.
Promix Organic consists of: (50% Coco 50% Perlite)
Coco Peat, Perlite, Turbo Grow, Dolomite Lime, Rock Phosphate, Powdered Kelp, Mycoroot, Diatomaceous Earth, Trichoderma & Worm Castings. Plants are in 30cm (Approx. 10L) pots
IMG_459220.JPG

Nutrients:
I used Bio Bizz organic grow fertilizer Bio-Grow and Bio-Bloom.
IMG_459319.JPG

Grow Area:
Here I chose a Mars Hydro grow tent and went with the smallest one they offered it stands 160cm tall (5,4ft) and 70cm x 70cm (2.3 x 2.3ft) I went with the mars hydro because that's what my local shop stocks but that being said apart from a small bit of loose stitching I had to fix the tent seems pretty decent quality and setup is super easy. I am using a 120mm PC fan to extract and another to circulate air and passive air intake from vents in tent.
IMG_378317.JPG

Lighting:
2 x Bridgelux Vero29 50W COB LED's
1 x Mars Reflector 48
So I stared with a Mars Hydro 48 Reflector it came with the tent on special at a okayish price. The light is pretty decent quality and again just plug in and go very easy. The Mars reflector has 48 x 5 watt Epistar LED's which comes in at 240 watts but the actual wattage at the wall @220V is 100 watts.
Then I added two 50 watt Bridgelux Vero29 COB LED's 3500K This is the first time I have grown under COB LED's but after seeing the vigorous growth first hand in anther grow set up I was instantly sold.
IMG_378920.JPG

IMG_398419.JPG

IMG_399915.JPG

To start I dropped the seeds in a glass of water for 24Hrs and then moved them to paper towel for another 24hrs at this point all 3 seeds had a small tap root already growing. I then planted the seeds straight into the pots with the small tap root pointing down. At this point I was only using the Mars reflector for lighting which will run 18hrs of light 6hrs Dark from start to finish.
IMG_397612.JPG

Then only 4 days from being dropped into that glass of water the little guys popped the surface.
4 Days from seed:
IMG_400820.JPG

7 Days from seed:
Week 1 done and everything is looking good
IMG_401012.JPG

10 Days from seed:
IMG_402318.JPG

16 Days from seed:
COB LED'S have been turned on and plants seem to be going strong.
IMG_409011.JPG

IMG_408914.JPG

21 Days from seed:
Started noticing the yellowing of the fan leaves with darker green veins which from everything I have read is magnesium deficiency which should not be happening so early because the coco should have tons of magnesium. The coco should have being buffered in Cal-Mag and the worm casings I believe should help with the magnesium too. But I still misted and watered with Epsom salt solution.
IMG_412813.JPG

26 Days from seed:
Plants still showing signs of magnesium deficiency even after being treated with Epsom salts. I read online that if your PH is really out you can have these magnesium deficiency problems so I bought a PH tester and made sure I PH'ed the nutrient solution to between 5.8 and 6.0 before watering water coming out the other side water was Ph 6.0 - 6.5 In previous outdoor grow attempts I never had to PH the municipal water as it was just naturally around the 6.0 PH mark after adding nutes, but where I currently live (A nature reserve/estate) all the houses water comes from a underground well and I have a sneaky suspicion this is causing a few problems for me ph wise and its also a little salty which might be causing a issue. I have started adding Cal-Mag to each nutrient feeding. Notice the colour difference between the back plant and the other two.
IMG_415417.JPG

31 Days from seed:
New growth is looking better magnesium deficiency signs seem to have stopped but obviously old damaged leaves don't recover.
IMG_418318.JPG

35 Days from seed:
Looks like flowering has started up in the last 24Hrs and you can see the different phenotype's starting to become apparent.
IMG_420615.JPG

IMG_420115.JPG

40 Days from Seed:
Flowering is in full force and plants looking okay. New growth is nice and green but older fan leaves slightly yellow/pale green upping the nutrient strength. One plant showing sativa dominance other two much more indica dominant.
IMG_428312.JPG

50 Days from seed:
The speed these things are growing at this point is impressive. I moved the tall girl (Sativa dominant) to the back because she is much taller than the other two and making it hard to adjust the lights evenly.
IMG_437111.JPG

57 Days from seed:
Flowering is coming along buds are really filling in nicely. Plant in the back is so different from the other two.
IMG_442512.JPG

IMG_443010.JPG

60 Days from seed:
2 months down and according to seed breeder only 5 days to go but by the looks of it the claimed 65 days from seed might be a bit off. I lifted the lights because I started to notice a yellowing and cupping of the top most leaves under lights must have been due to light burn these COB's are powerful they where 30cm from plants I thought that as long as it wasn't hot if you held your hand by the plant then it should be fine but apparently just the intensity of the light from that distance was a bit too much for them lesson learned. I moved the lights to 40cm from the top of the plants.
IMG_446517.JPG

IMG_447910.JPG

65 Days from seed:
So the moment we have all been waiting for! Well at least the moment I have been waiting for. Today is Day 65 from seed this should be the day to harvest according to breeders specs but alas plants are not ready, probably the magnesium/ph issues I had in the beginning, that or they just lied about the grow times which I'm sure no seed breeder would ever ever do (I cant find the skeptical hippo eyes emoti)
So now lets see how many days it will actually take till harvest time. Hopefully they will be done in 70 days from seed because that will be the 25th of December and I couldn't think of a better thing to find under the Christmas tree than a ready to harvest cannabis tree. A few white "hairs" are starting to turn brown/orange and curling inwards so we going in the right direction.
IMG_451915.JPG

IMG_453313.JPG

IMG_453015.JPG

69 Days from seed:
More stigmas or "white hairs" are turning brown/orange. The plant on the right and the one in the back are showing allot of brown "hairs" but the plant on the left has no brown "hairs" all still white. Looks like just a few days to go for two plants at least. This brings me to one of my concerns I have not flushed the autos because of the speed they grow and the frequency in which I have been able to water without over watering. If I stopped giving nutrients a week ago to flush they would be completely yellow by now and perhaps would have affected yield. Tomorrow might be the last watering for at least two of the plants so I will make that plain water. So just a couple days left. :cheer: I am going to update tomorrow or the next day with some high res pics from my digital camera I cant find my magnifying loupe so going to use macro mode on high res camera to check out trichomes.
IMG_459515.JPG

IMG_459618.JPG

IMG_459716.JPG

IMG_459813.JPG

IMG_461616.JPG

IMG_461417.JPG

IMG_45739.JPG

IMG_456911.JPG

Na...most if us like the struggle and challenges daily

She looks like she needs a week or so more, what are u thinking

Yeah I'm thinking 5 - 7 days would normally say a bit longer but this auto does things rather speedily so probably finishing around the 75 -80 days from seed which makes this test rather disappointing haha wanted to see how close to 60 days you could get some quality buds but if we are getting closer to 80 days till harvest then you might as well get your hands on some non auto already rooted clones if your able to and veg for 3 weeks and flower for 8 weeks as I have done in the past, same time frame and you will probably have a much better result. The only reason I went auto was to get hat 65 day speed.

I've never had a photo finish in 8 weeks yet.. or an auto finish when they say...lol

Autos are still faster by weeks or months

I'm trying a few from seed to 12/12 right now, currious how they grow out, seen good things from others, we shall see. It's mainly for strain testing, my crosses and some new ones

I've never had a photo finish in 8 weeks yet.. or an auto finish when they say...lol

Autos are still faster by weeks or months

I'm trying a few from seed to 12/12 right now, currious how they grow out, seen good things from others, we shall see. It's mainly for strain testing, my crosses and some new ones

I have grown a photo strain of cheese from clones I got from a friend of a friend on two separate occasions that finished almost exactly at 8 week flower but i know that is rare. At the end of the day if i get decent product from an auto and can knock off 3 - 4 weeks from growing a photo strain i would be pretty happy, But after this harvest and I have some bud to last me a little while again I'm going back to growing photo period strains for a bit. As i said before this was just to see how fast and what sort of quality buds you could get with no training etc just put a auto seed in the ground and give water and light.

Looks really good. Congrats:D
How was shipping on the seeds? I've heard that seeds shipped to the cape are more likely to be confiscated... So I'm a bit hesitant to import seeds myself.

Looks really good. Congrats:D
How was shipping on the seeds? I've heard that seeds shipped to the cape are more likely to be confiscated... So I'm a bit hesitant to import seeds myself.

Thanks bud, just google green smoke room seeds they have some of their own locally stocked seeds which they sell under there own brand (The seeds are still produced in the UK or Netherlands one or other) and claim 48hr delivery locally in SA. They also have a extensive library of seeds from top seed banks worldwide that you can get delivered but it can take up to 6 weeks (my order took about 5 weeks) and it gets couriered to your door. Best place for seeds in SA in my opinion. Uhm now Hey #greensmokeroom how about some free shit after that endorsement haha

Thanks bud, just google green smoke room seeds they have some of their own locally stocked seeds which they sell under there own brand (The seeds are still produced in the UK or Netherlands one or other) and claim 48hr delivery locally in SA. They also have a extensive library of seeds from top seed banks worldwide that you can get delivered but it can take up to 6 weeks (my order took about 5 weeks) and it gets couriered to your door. Best place for seeds in SA in my opinion. Uhm now Hey #greensmokeroom how about some free shit after that endorsement haha
Awesome. Thanks. Will bookmark them for the next time I buy seeds :) Their prices are not horrible either... just slightly higher than MCSB

My apologies....not your first grow....but first journal:Namaste:

The 2 x COB lights that you used on your grow.....is there a local supplier for these?.....I am investigating all the LEDs but find mainly Mars in SA of which the Mars 11 1600 looks interesting.....Fluence Spydr, Kind and Amare are very expensive and need importing.....Timber Technologies in the states do a whole range of COB frames and kits.....the kits look nice.......but importing is a mission.

My apologies....not your first grow....but first journal:Namaste:

The 2 x COB lights that you used on your grow.....is there a local supplier for these?.....I am investigating all the LEDs but find mainly Mars in SA of which the Mars 11 1600 looks interesting.....Fluence Spydr, Kind and Amare are very expensive and need importing.....Timber Technologies in the states do a whole range of COB frames and kits.....the kits look nice.......but importing is a mission.

I also started my COB LED search with timber grow lights they just look so good especially there new stuff but importing is just such a mission like you say. And then I stumbled across these local guys making COB LED lights here in cape town i will link to there site below not much of a website but does have a contact email for the guys.
COB LED GRow | Efficient & Sustainable LED lighting solutions. Refined for a South African market.

I can vouch for there lights I have those 2 x single 50 watt COB LED's, a 200 watt (4 x 50Watt COB'S) (Pic Below) and a 600 watt (12 x 50 watt COB'S). Lights are all getting great results heat is no problem even these last few weeks when it was so hot here in Cape Town only downside is the price they some pricey lights but so worth it.

Green Thumb Hydro in Johannesburg also stocks those single 50 watt lights they supplied by those same guys. Greenthumb Hydroponics | Online Hydroponics Store - Greenthumb Hydroponics

IMG_398312.JPG

IMG_398713.JPG

Thanks very much for the heads up......jip.....scratching my head on which LED......I have reached the point where I am convinced we need to go LED with our summer heat.....cost of ESCOM etc...etc....the Timber COB concept really seems to me the way to go....like the fact that one can buy some aluminium angle iron and basically design and mount one's own lighting footprint with as many as you need and in whatever configuration.

Day 78 from seed:

Harvest day trichomes are 99% cloudy and just one or two clears and ambers here and there, which is my preferred harvest point.
One of the three plants still had 100% white hairs but all cloudy trichs that was a first for me. After chopping down I hung the buds up in the tent and the smaller lower buds I put in brown paper bags. once dried I will get a dry weight.

IMG_494314.JPG

IMG_495411.JPG

IMG_496214.JPG

IMG_496015.JPG

IMG_496415.JPG

Looking really good Pat. I've ordered some blueberry autos from GSR yesterday.

How long did it take for you to get your seeds?, my order is still pending since yesterday...

Looking really good Pat. I've ordered some blueberry autos from GSR yesterday.

How long did it take for you to get your seeds?, my order is still pending since yesterday...

These specific seeds where not local stock so took like 5 weeks, there local SA stock they say 2 days but my local SA stock order took a week, they did apologize etc etc

Back
Top Bottom