PatMySwayze's COB LED THC Bomb Auto Organic/Coco 2017- How Fast Is Fast?

These specific seeds where not local stock so took like 5 weeks, there local SA stock they say 2 days but my local SA stock order took a week, they did apologize etc etc
Oh, ok. I thought u ordered local stock as well. They seem a bit slow, so if they don't update me or reply to my mail today, then I'll probably just order seed that MCSB doesn't stock & if I really want it...

I ordered some blueberry autos & I'm hoping to have them in soil by the weekend. :)

Thanks very much for the heads up......jip.....scratching my head on which LED......I have reached the point where I am convinced we need to go LED with our summer heat.....cost of ESCOM etc...etc....the Timber COB concept really seems to me the way to go....like the fact that one can buy some aluminium angle iron and basically design and mount one's own lighting footprint with as many as you need and in whatever configuration.
Just uncovered a crowd called Sanlight (Austrian/German)....seems to be an agent for them in CT (Bellville), I have sent an enquiry mail.
SANlight S4W - highly efficient LED Grow light for big indoor areas
Not many Sanlight reviews and the video reviews done in Spain are done by Sensi Seed.....so not sure how unbiased they are...lol.....but a lumen is a lumen....a watt is a watt.......one just needs to do the maths.

Just get some lights from these guys, well priced and good service. Only why to get cheaper lights is to import the components from rapidled.com and build them yourself.

Grow Opz - Hydroponics and LED Grow Lights

And awesome grow, looking forward to the next one

yes.....currently looking at the concept of bringing in components and doing a self build.....busy investigating Vero Cobs, Bridgelux EB series strips, Samsung F series strips and maybe even a combination thereof......I'm in no rush. Busy educating myself on all the "growmau5" videos......I need education on drivers matching, driver light efficiencies yada yada yada...designing a LED config is allot more technical than I thought........buying a ready made.....takes the worry out of it.....but I still want to understand whats happening and drive my grows using up to date science.

yes.....currently looking at the concept of bringing in components and doing a self build.....busy investigating Vero Cobs, Bridgelux EB series strips, Samsung F series strips and maybe even a combination thereof......I'm in no rush. Busy educating myself on all the "growmau5" videos......I need education on drivers matching, driver light efficiencies yada yada yada...designing a LED config is allot more technical than I thought........buying a ready made.....takes the worry out of it.....but I still want to understand whats happening and drive my grows using up to date science.

Coolio keep in mind that the growopz guys are about R150 to R250 more on the price of their pre-built units. They do cobs and quantum boards but you'l see they're running them less efficient than Growmau5 would suggest but his info is generally for biggish grows / saving power and going for photon density. So you use more lights but run then lower. That can work out more expensive. But yeah Growmau5 is the goto guy for this. The staff at growopz are also helpful with all this tricky info....they should maybe give me some discount with all this free advertising I'm doing for them. But they did give me a great deal on quantum boards so.

@PatMySwayze - what are the local stock seeds like? pop any yet?

Coolio keep in mind that the growopz guys are about R150 to R250 more on the price of their pre-built units. They do cobs and quantum boards but you'l see they're running them less efficient than Growmau5 would suggest but his info is generally for biggish grows / saving power and going for photon density. So you use more lights but run then lower. That can work out more expensive. But yeah Growmau5 is the goto guy for this. The staff at growopz are also helpful with all this tricky info....they should maybe give me some discount with all this free advertising I'm doing for them. But they did give me a great deal on quantum boards so.

@PatMyswayze - what are the local stock seeds like? pop any yet?

Great......Thanks.....if the money differential between home build and ready built off the shelf is minimal.....I'm not a prude and will certainly buy ready build.....although I love fiddling and building lol....good fun. I will ask around and see if they can quote custom build.....if I go Cob....I would like a specific mix on CCT, CRI and how hard the chips must run.

Looks like I missed all the fun, I'm also here in Cape town and bought my cobs and QB from Daniel at Growopz

@PatMySwayze - nice looking bud.

Mailed Daniel at Growopz.......received a "funny" response............like they are too busy building light frames and guys like me, who would like to buy components can wait.....its not their priority right now......OK.......busy looking at Cutter Electronics.....think they are in Aussie.

My footprints are 4 x 4 feet which is 1.2 x 1.2......planning on 5 lights........first light, looking at either 12 or 16 cob frame.....Vero or Citizen......want to run them at 700mA or 1050 mA.

The second light I want to use 10 x Samsung 1.1 meter double strips LT-HB24 B's....use an aluminium U channel and build like the Spydr X style design.

Then try those two before I build the rest.

See Digikey supply components and see they have a SA website as well......anyone used them to buy components?

@PatMyswayze - nice looking bud.

Mailed Daniel at Growopz.......received a "funny" response............like they are too busy building light frames and guys like me, who would like to buy components can wait.....its not their priority right now......OK.......busy looking at Cutter Electronics.....think they are in Aussie.

My footprints are 4 x 4 feet which is 1.2 x 1.2......planning on 5 lights........first light, looking at either 12 or 16 cob frame.....Vero or Citizen......want to run them at 700mA or 1050 mA.

The second light I want to use 10 x Samsung 1.1 meter double strips LT-HB24 B's....use an aluminium U channel and build like the Spydr X style design.

Then try those two before I build the rest.

See Digikey supply components and see they have a SA website as well......anyone used them to buy components?

Digikey just acts as middlemen, you still have to pay postage and import duty. If you can, buy directly from sites like rapidled or cutter electronics ( be sure to do a search on discount codes, they generally offer a 5% discount) When customs phones you to ask whats in the parcel tell them its electrical components and not led lights. They charge you more for lights. And yeah the growopz guys sell made up kits, they don't sell components of the good stuff.

Digikey just acts as middlemen, you still have to pay postage and import duty. If you can, buy directly from sites like rapidled or cutter electronics ( be sure to do a search on discount codes, they generally offer a 5% discount) When customs phones you to ask whats in the parcel tell them its electrical components and not led lights. They charge you more for lights. And yeah the growopz guys sell made up kits, they don't sell components of the good stuff.

OK......looks like Rapid is the better prices.......read up on import tax......flood lights and industrial electrical components low......but horticultural and domestic lighting high tax.

Thanks for the info guys.

OK......looks like Rapid is the better prices.......read up on import tax......flood lights and industrial electrical components low......but horticultural and domestic lighting high tax.

Thanks for the info guys.

Anything with light in it will add to the customs, dont even mention just say components. Customs arent too clued up

And keep in mind your setup will be very efficient, not at its brightest. So you save on power consumption but you need more lights per area. Guys like Growmau5 and GreenGene grow in this way to save on power consumption and to push for that extra bit of yield to make it more cost effective.

My understanding is that the softer you run the chips.....the better/quality light efficiency.....less power into heat.....easy passive heat sink as well.....but the build is more expensive because you need more units and drivers.

See a lot of guys run standard at 1400.......if i can afford it, will try for lower..... 1050 or 700......want to do things right from the start. The light fanatics talk about one cob per square foot as optimal......4 x 4 is 16 square = 16 cobs.....I'm stuck on decision between 12 and 16.

Would love to get a par meter before the build.....to get the positioning of cobs on the frame optimal.....I see too many setups where center is too high and sides need more. A Rollit thread was experimenting....... moving the standard spacing around and getting better dispersal of PPFD.....I mean that why I'm investigating cobs and strip lighting.....for more even and balanced PPFD over the whole canopy....... instead of a big ass panel in the center?

Then maybe a strip lights around the outer perimeter to up the PPFD on the sides......can even angle the strips.....problem is strips need to be closer than the cob units......so a lot of the strip light will be dispersed too much....and not too effective.

Having fun.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom