PB's Persistent Pot Condo: Established 2019

Pbass

I've been really enjoying 420magazine and it's forums, thank you all for your mistakes! I'm learning so much from your successes and failures and recoveries, I can't imagine how far back I'd be along in the process without you. So since it seems to be the proper 420mag etiquette to also share my successes and the mistakes I'm still making despite your help, welcome to my first grow journal!

Strain: LA Confidential feminized photoperiod from seed – gifted, came from hermie (?)
Variety: Indica 100% I think
Stage: Veg
Days: 38 on black felt pot, 24 days on denim bags (yes I made those I had some time on my hands)
Medium: Soil, some started in plain jane Miracle Grow potting, replanted in Jiffy All Purpose Potting Mix
Pot Size: black felt pot 3.5ish, denim bags 2.5ish
Air Cooled: No
Room Temp: 74 – 78 degrees
RH: 50% ish
PH: 7ish - no pen yet, pool tester kit that goes to 6.8 and magic soil wand that reads right on 7
Pests: No (knocks on wood)
Watering schedule: As needed, by weight and visually, every 2 days or 3 days. Water is well water, PH right at 7, I put 4 tablespoons of vinegar per gallon to home remedy the PH as best I can, I'm guessing resulting in mid 6's.
Ferts: Fox Farms Grow Big, Big Bloom, Wholly Mackerel, eventually Tiger Bloom...full strength mix, cut with water at varying percentages based on what bug is up my butt at the moment every other feeding (too much probably). I can get it at the grocery store that's why I decided on Fox Farms. I also picked up on clearance a bottle of Black Magic Cal/Mag.

These plants started from seed, the oldest plant under a McGruber deal (desklamp, 65w incandescent), the 3 younger under a used Viparspectra Par450 (dimmable model, like I need more options to ponder) for $130 which is spec'd at 202w at the wall. I've since added a couple of cheapo's to help with my next grow (4 adults, 12 plants in MI woohoo!). Those are Afbest 300's which say they pull 150 at the wall, I haven't verified that though. I know they are bright as crap...noisy compared to the VP450, but I don't mind I'm a IT guy, I got fans blowing all over the place. With the closet closed I can't even hear them over my computer. Anyway I'm always on a razor thin budget and I needed more light, $11 bucks a piece my gosh I can't go wrong!

I've basically beat the crap out of these plants since they were old enough to bend. I'm totally obsessed and am constantly bending and tying and tucking and moving them where I want them. Three have been topped, one fimm'd, probably in the wrong place at the wrong time. The big light started too close I think so that slowed development down, they are at about 30” above now to try and get some stretch which is happening a bit. Light cycle has been settled on 20/4 after some variations (another variable to change too quickly yay!). Two of the four are pretty weak and odd genetically it seems to me, (bit of deformation, definitely stunted growth, odd growth patterns) but I figured what the hell I'll flesh them out. They aren't doing as well as the others and are prone to tacoing but eh, what they'll be they'll be. Everyone seems pretty happy despite me! The oldest plant is about 8" tall from the soil, other three are around 6".

I'm ruminating now on how and when I should go to 12/12 in my space properly as I can't afford a tent atm and I have a second set of seedlings going. My last top was just a day or so ago, so I figure I have two weeks minimum to decide and maybe come up with a new room and more light.

That gets us current, thanks for looking in and cheers!

Here are my girls as of 3/6:

And here's how the closet is set up:

A closer look at the lights:

And the first update...a mistake! Broke my favorite shoot last night! She's taped up, hoping for a full recovery! Break was right at the node, I didn't notice it right away, not sure if I caught it in time or not.
Before:

After:

And the fix:

She actually looks a touch firmer this am, but the big leaves are definitely dried out. Center shoot seems to be firming up though! Let's hope so!

I quit hemming and hawing about trimming and just did it, I think it turned out well. Can't seem to upload the pics but they are nice and tidy.

Nice! Building yourself a grow room!! If you have the space, why not! I’m new to the site, looking forward to watching your grow progress.

Is that 2 1/2” studs? I’m an ISM Lather by trade, so I love to see that shit! Lol your plants look awesome by the way!! Keep it up!

Thanks @Backlipslide , welcome, this is a great site with alot of awesome, smart and helpful potheads! It is 2 1/2 stud, I (almost) finished my basement with it and have some extra. I'm quite confident I didn't do it right, but it's just interior walls and my kids haven't knocked them down yet! It's really easy to work with although I imagine a inspector would have a good chuckle about it and ask me nicely to tear it all down. I have a couple of pieces of drywall for a bathroom I was going to build also, gonna steal that as well because I have NO CLUE how to build a bathroom either!

48x54x97 should be plenty of room for a flower room! I have 72 more inches to work with for a even bigger second room eventually, I just have to occupy my closet for a little while longer before my wife breaks down and caves into my mad pot scientist plans! Cheers!

Hi @Souptaco thank you! While overall the grow has gone very nicely (knocks on wood) maybe everything I've done, including the MG soil has slowed me down a bit. I have a strong inclination that the MG soil was a bit too hot to start, but there's no constant to go by. With that said, the 2 plants that seem to be doing excellently (nice colors, steady growth, no tacoing, no spindly stalks, responded to topping and LST just fine) were started in MG...the other two, which are not so strong I think started in Jiffy Potting Mix which from what I can tell off the bag have no extra nutes added.

I have a feeling the two strong ones are just powering through despite me and my less hearty plants are feeling the effects of my mistakes and indecision, but it's my first grow and holy crap I can have 12 plants so I don't really care what the turnout is! Once I finish my new grow room and get the environment how I like it it down in the basement (in a closet on the main level atm) I'll go ahead and flip them down there. I've got another batch brewing, some bagseed from my friends hermie grow (I'm separating the LAC's way before I'll have to worry about the new neighbors) that I will keep a closer eye on as I hear seeds from full on hermies are more apt to grow nuts as ones from females who trans'd on just one stem like the mother of the LAC's did. Wife isn't getting the closet back any time soon. 12 plants OMG! Woohoo!

I also started clones, although I didn't keep them straight when I was trimming and I might have some from the weak pants as well as the strong ones. I'll have to keep my eye on that too, this next time around I might just discard the weak growers.

Thanks @Backlipslide , welcome, this is a great site with alot of awesome, smart and helpful potheads! It is 2 1/2 stud, I (almost) finished my basement with it and have some extra. I'm quite confident I didn't do it right, but it's just interior walls and my kids haven't knocked them down yet! It's really easy to work with although I imagine a inspector would have a good chuckle about it and ask me nicely to tear it all down. I have a couple of pieces of drywall for a bathroom I was going to build also, gonna steal that as well because I have NO CLUE how to build a bathroom either!

48x54x97 should be plenty of room for a flower room! I have 72 more inches to work with for a even bigger second room eventually, I just have to occupy my closet for a little while longer before my wife breaks down and caves into my mad pot scientist plans! Cheers!

As long as the walls are plumb, 16 inches are on center, you have it anchored (kicked to the wall) and a floater stud in the corner to make a solid corner your going to be fine. You keep the floater stud in the corner for the drywall to go in behind and screw the floater stud to the drywall. It makes a solid corner so that when it’s tapped it doesn’t crack in the future.

That’s a nice size flowering room dude!! Look forward to see it progresses! Are you going to cap it up top to have a vacuum sealed room? I’m very interested in your lil project. :bong:

Gmornin @Backlipslide umm well they look pretty plum anyway dont they? :rolleyes:

Honestly bro I got nothing for skill here. I'm 24 on center and only marginally scecured to the back walls. I'm wingin' it like I do pretty much everything else. It seems pretty sturdy though and its at the furthest away corner you can get to in my house, and I quit drinking years ago so there dang sure better be no reason it gets tapped!

It ain't gonna be pretty as you can see here which I apologize to myself and your professional sensibilities on but I'm really scrounging in the banking department atm. I hoisted the two sheets of drywall from the bathroom job and the cover is a old projector screen I got at goodwill a while back for a couple of bucks. I think I'm just going to make a velcro'd flap for the door for now so get my girls flowering!.

I do think I'll spend 40 bucks or so on some reflective bubble insulation and a roll of duct tape. I'm afraid about the heat, it gets a bit cold down here in the evenings. I have a heater but I need reflection of some sort and the insulation will make me feel better than just some cheap noisy mylar blankets or something.

I guess it will be reletively air tight as I will be sealing my seams with the tape, but I do plan on a vent of some sort going out somewhere to the left of my electrical there soon, thats ground level outside right behind the insulation. Plus then I can fire up a fatty or a bong rip in there, which I do not like to do in the house now out of courtesy for my fam.
However it turns out it's nothin' but a bunch of fun eh?! 12 plants holy crap! Have I thanked you lately Michigan? Have a great day guys I'm heading to Home Depot here in a bit! Cheers!

Gmornin @Backlipslide umm well they look pretty plum anyway dont they? :rolleyes:

Honestly bro I got nothing for skill here. I'm 24 on center and only marginally scecured to the back walls. I'm wingin' it like I do pretty much everything else. It seems pretty sturdy though and its at the furthest away corner you can get to in my house, and I quit drinking years ago so there dang sure better be no reason it gets tapped!

It ain't gonna be pretty as you can see here which I apologize to myself and your professional sensibilities on but I'm really scrounging in the banking department atm. I hoisted the two sheets of drywall from the bathroom job and the cover is a old projector screen I got at goodwill a while back for a couple of bucks. I think I'm just going to make a velcro'd flap for the door for now so get my girls flowering!.

I do think I'll spend 40 bucks or so on some reflective bubble insulation and a roll of duct tape. I'm afraid about the heat, it gets a bit cold down here in the evenings. I have a heater but I need reflection of some sort and the insulation will make me feel better than just some cheap noisy mylar blankets or something.

I guess it will be reletively air tight as I will be sealing my seams with the tape, but I do plan on a vent of some sort going out somewhere to the left of my electrical there soon, thats ground level outside right behind the insulation. Plus then I can fire up a fatty or a bong rip in there, which I do not like to do in the house now out of courtesy for my fam.
However it turns out it's nothin' but a bunch of fun eh?! 12 plants holy crap! Have I thanked you lately Michigan? Have a great day guys I'm heading to Home Depot here in a bit! Cheers!

Yeah for it being tapped I was more or less saying for a basement wall(or any wall) that gets finished and painted. Your lil grow room I completely understand. You can also get styrofoam “insulation” that is 1 or 1 1/2 thick that you can stick in the walls before putting a reflective material on, it might help keeping the cold out and the heat in. If your tight on money I understand. Just trying to make sure you build it to where you will be happy with it for the long run. A lil money now for a longer lasting grow room makes a big difference. Either way I’m excited to see you finish it! :yummy:

I thought I had mentioned it, but I can’t seem to find where exactly it is.. maybe it’s on a different thread, I’m not sure :hmmmm: I apologize if I had already mentioned it to you, or if you are aware of this already.

You will want an insertion of fresh air and an extraction point pushing air out. In my tent that I built, I cut holes in the bottom of my tent to allow fresh air in, and a fan at the top of my tent flipped upside down pulling air from the the bottom to the extraction fan up top. I later bought a carbon air fan and filter combo to hide the strong marijuana smell. Hooked up the same way it worked awesome with my previous two girls. My tent is idle at the moment. Turned out my two girls I had ready to put in the flowering tent when they finished, were males. Now it’s the waiting game for my two seedlings to be big enough to be uprooted and possibly put under my big light.

I got rid of the second fan as it was keeping my tent too cool. The hole in the center had cords coming through and also aloud some extra fresh air in the tent. It also allowed me to dial in my temps to where I didn’t have to worry about looking at the hygrometer everyday.

Good suggestion @Backlipslide it's already feeling a bit stuffy in there. Don't laugh at my door!

Like I said it ain't pretty but it's still awesome! I didn't show you my supplimental lights either did I? 138 more watts! I used 2 5000k and 1 2700k cfl in each fixture, which I picked up for 2 dollars each for the fixtures and a buck a piece for the lights!

Oh and I broke down and bought mylar blankets for 3 bucks a piece. Was gonna be 60+ bucks for the insulation.

It's reflecting nicely and not makeing any significant rattle even with the big fan on.

If you guys were to vote for me for the mars hydro giveaway contest, this room would really fill up quick! :ganjamon::yummy::p:D:thumb::yahoo:

Looks good sir! Trick with the space blankets is to have them stretched and as tight as possible. That’s what I used for my tent as well, had to get it built in a pinch, and so far it works awesome. I will, be switching to some panda film here down the road though. A sturdier more permanent material that reflects 100% of the light back towards the plant and not lose any through the material. Just food for thought. Looking good!

I will be sure to try and go vote for you, just not right now as I’m a lil busy.

Here’s a picture of my past two plants when they were still in veg, also before I put them in 5 gallon cloth pots. Wow that’s an older picture then I thought lol

I guess with all this activity I've remembered that I might have some issues here:

Calcium def? Root rot? Maybe that Cruella Deville branch was trying to tell me something? I noticed a little root popping out of the side of my felt pot, is that ok? I'm using 1tsp cal/mag (Black Magic) per gal, along with recommended FF Big Bloom, Grow Big and Wholly Mackerel, diluted to 75% on the big gal, 50% on the others. Watering when they are light weight and dry on top and bottom (although the felt pot never gets wet on the bottom). Felt pot is up to 4 cups at 42 days old, 3 cups for the 28 day olds that are healthier and drinking more, 2.5 cup for my runt, she seems to take water way less often. Any thoughts?

Edit: This rust/browning is only showing up on a few of my big old fan leaves. All other growth looks excellent.

Back
Top Bottom