PC case microgrow. Pretty diagram. Looking for feedback before construction begins :)

Re: PC case microgrow. Pretty diagram. Looking for feedback before construction begin

Yeah, I am doing lots of research, and not a lot of action at the moment.

Trying to find a nice soil to use. I would like to use Fox Farms to keep everyone here happy, but I just can't find it anywhere in australia.

And it would be pretty funny importing soil.

I am also still trying to find the perfect PC case. There are a few I can get but I am looking for lack of features on the interior to make as little mods to the case as needed.

I agree, importing soil might raise a flag or two ha :laugh: But just find something reasonably good. Even miracle grow soil with their time release nutes WILL work but WILL require a lot more attention since you have no idea what nutrient and how much your plant is getting, might also be a little harsh on seedlings. If worse comes to worse, go with a soil with NOTHING in it, just straight up top soil. That way you can control what goes in and out for your plants. It shouldn't be too hard to find that kind of soil, just look at probably any plant nursery.

I too found that finding the right PC case to be more of a burden than I thought. I wanted it in the right price range, size, interior, and even looks.

Re: PC case microgrow. Pretty diagram. Looking for feedback before construction begin

If worse comes to worse, go with a soil with NOTHING in it

I am thinking of using something like coco or rockwool and running to waste. Then i can manually add nutrient because these mediums are "neutral (ferts not ph wise)"

guys at local store think best bet is Canna Coco
CANNA COCO | CANNA Australia

I am thinking of using something like coco or rockwool and running to waste. Then i can manually add nutrient because these mediums are "neutral (ferts not ph wise)"

guys at local store think best bet is Canna Coco
Coco | CANNA Australia

Good choice, I love using coco, it's PH balanced for the most part, retains water, holds air, and is cheap! :grinjoint:

Hi guys, looking at growing 1 plant in a stealth pc case operation :)

Thankyou to the following people for the inspiration.
greenblood : computer-case-setup-progress
stratlogic : grow-box-construction
mean bean : urban-growing-hydro-led-cabinet

Thought I would post my thoughts and plans before I leap in and ruin it without thinking. Here is my intended design.

pcbox1.jpg

pcbox2.jpg

pcbox3.jpg

A couple of things I am thinking about:

Strain
Unknown bagseed, 3 different sources. First run is purely for testing my setup. If it turns out well, then great :)

I have seen a lot of people here using Lowryder varieties. Can I get away with using a different strain. hell im not even sure if I can import seeds legally here (australia). Maybe if this one works, I can spend some time trying to get a dedicated strain for micro-grows.

Lighting
Will be some sort of CFL - due to heat and space. In Australia, summertime coming, heat is a major concern.

Heat:
Temps here can get to 40-45 degrees C (100 F) for you americans. Inside my house will probably not get below 25 deg C (77F) overnight

Soil/Hydro etc?
Any thoughts. I'm thinking of just hand watering (this time) with maybe some perlite/soil mixture ?

Airflow
PC case fans are only for circulation. The real airflow will be an inline fan just beyond the carbon filter. Any suggestion from you guys as to what size fan would be needed for this size environment?

Glass/perspex
Thinking of separating the lighting section from the growing area to isolate heat. Will perspex/glass reduce light penetration much ?

Movable lighting
In a small scale setup like this, would it be wise to have the lighting assembly lower during initial stages, then move it up to its final position over time ?

Novelty:
Being a computer geek, I am thinking of streaming a webcam inside the case. or at least a time lapse if nothing else :0

great design... i have over 300 cases coming in to me in the next couple days from a warehouse that shut down... do you mind if i use some of your design?? its the best i have seen yet

Nice looking pc grow case. I would suggest using known female clone(s) for the grow, rather than growing from seed, for this type of grow. A small Scrog screen may help increase yield.

Back
Top Bottom