420 Magazine Background

PCaddict's 1st Grow Journal

Bud

T8 is what is most commonly found in homes and offices etc, and the T5 is just a thinner diameter bulb, so the plasma inside is more condensed and emits more light when close up to it. T5 definitely makes for a better grow light overall than T8, but in the beginning of life, any bright light can be a bit much to adapt to and may need to be diffused. I just do that automatically anymore to be safe. If I only have the bright light, I keep it far away and use things to obstruct direct light to the young plants. Other, bigger plants make great light diffusers.

Attachments

SmokingWings

The T8 bulbs are much cheaper to buy than the T5’s as well as the units to run them.
Shop lights work well, Walmart, Home Depot, Lows, or just about any lighting store,
Just change out the bulbs to the bluest bulb u can find. Lol
I have been finding it harder and harder to find shop lights with replaceable bulbs. The replacement bulbs are on the shelf but the shop light units themselves are almost always LED bulbs and the LED is hard wired right to the unit. The bulbs cannot be replaced.

Some tropical fish and reptile stores (not the tropical fish section at department stores) might have the T8 bulbs for growing if the store also has a selection of live plants for aquariums.

Otherwise, everything for the tropical fish hobby, freshwater or saltwater, seems to be going strictly LED.

Skybound

Everything will one day be LED.

Duggan

Member of the Month: Aug 2016, June 2017, Sept 2019 - Plant of the Month: Aug 2014, Dec 2017, April 2018, July 2019 - Nug of the Month: April 2018
Mornin to ya SW. Try and get an old industrial florescent fixture, either a two lamp , or a four lamp. Buy some T-8 lamps at 6500K. they are available at any big box store or any Can Tire store as well. if u can find an older fixture that has the old magnetic ballasts in it , it's very easy to convert to the newer electronic ballasts to run some t-8 lamps as the sockets are the same. However if u decide to go with a T-5 fixture everything changes,...more money , diff. sockets etc.
if u need help with this i would be glad to show/tell u how to get this done. Cheers .

Gazoo

Thanks Gazoo I will have to remember this when I am ready to buy one or two. How would these do for clones until they are ready to plant
Not sure just did a fast look since I have been wanting to set up a clone station and got scared thinking
I may need to pick up the fixtures and a supply of bulbs while I can still find them. Did notice most
of the bulbs are moving to led replacement type as well

Duggan

Member of the Month: Aug 2016, June 2017, Sept 2019 - Plant of the Month: Aug 2014, Dec 2017, April 2018, July 2019 - Nug of the Month: April 2018
Cheers 'G'. Wat i like to tell peeps is to avoid the high cost of a "grow light'. They are NOT needed for early veg. They are NOT necessary as a simple florescent fixture will do just fine. It's all i ever use. My crops do NOT suffer cuz i don't use 'grow' lights for early veg. Cheers eh.

Bud

Now that’s what I’m talking about, Thanks Gazoo not so sure about that bulb bro.
The bulbs that I found online are TCLP 31017850 if I Remember right I got them on line at 10001 bulbs.
CHEEP. But it’s bin a while so who knows what prices are nowadays growers luv

Last edited:

MagicJim

Creme de la Creme Photos: Sept 2016

Pennywise

Member of the Year: 2017 - Member of the Month: Mar & Oct 2017, Aug 2018, May 2019 - Plant of the Month: Aug 2017

Duggan

PC. FYI, u do NOT need those two clip on 'canopy' fans running right now. Save em! Your baby's need only your exhaust fan/filter, that's all right now K. If u have another ,floor level circ. fan , on 'low' oscillating would be ok , but NOT blasting on your baby's OK.

Duggan

Yes, but a floor (oscillating) circ. fan is all, thats needed , on low , not pointing right at them . Up to u bud...i only use those lil clip on fans for when i need canopy cooling/air movement.
Cheers ,...time for my game tonight... :high-five:

Bud

:nomo: Go take a really hot shower PC let the water beat down on your head for a while or till u run out of hot water, take a cupple of aspirin and go to sleep. I think that u have OD’ed a bit. Done it my self
Occasionally I try not to over indulge, to much of a good thing I guess? I get horrible migraines that can last days...... word to the wys. Moderation is it....

Top Bottom