PEI: Islanders Evenly Split On Recreational Marijuana, Poll Shows

Katelyn Baker

A recent poll found that 46 per cent of Islanders support legalizing marijuana for personal use.

The study, conducted by public opinion and market research company Corporate Research Associates, asked 1,502 residents from the Atlantic provinces if they support or oppose the legalization of marijuana for medical or personal use.

On P.E.I. 46 percent supported legalizing for personal use. 47 per cent opposed. And six per cent didn't know or didn't answer.

CRA interviewed 300 people on Prince Edward Island. The results on P.E.I. are considered accurate within 5.6 percentage points.

Similar results throughout region

The overall results for Atlantic Canada were similar for personal use. 53 per cent supported and 41 percent opposed legalization for personal use.

The results for the region are considered accurate within 2.5 percentage points.

"Support for legalization of marijuana for personal use has been slowly but steadily increasing over the last three years," said Don Mills, chairman and CEO of Corporate Research Associate.

"That support, however, is not uniform across the four Atlantic Provinces, as Nova Scotians are more supportive of such legislation than the other three provinces in the region."

Support for legalization for medical use remains steady in the region at 82 per cent. On P.E.I. that support is at 81 per cent.

Support higher among younger people

Support for the legalization of marijuana for personal use is higher among younger residents of all provinces. Of those 18 to 34 years old, 70 per cent say they would support this legislation.

The CRA poll was done by telephone between Nov. 7 and Dec. 1, 2016. It's considered accurate 95 out of 100 times.

DavidDonnelly.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Islanders Evenly Split On Recreational Marijuana, Poll Shows
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: David Donnelly

Back
Top Bottom