Perfect LED Height Distances

HigherTheHigh

I know there is probably a few threads on here with the exact details but sometimes it's better to ask as times keep changing with Led lights.

I am running two Mars SP250 lights I'm a 4*3 and there around 20" from the canopy.

will adding supplementary Led inbetween these lights benefit me in terms of yield or will I just be burning excess watts?

I think more light would be overkill. You already have bout 30% more light than recommended by Mars with the two SP-250s.

I'd combine both SP-250s into a single fixture, on 14" - 18" (35 - 45cm) centers tilted between 30° and 45° to get better coverage for the plants in a 3' x 4' footprint.

The TS series of lights can be closer to the plants than the SP series, as the LEDs are more dispersed on the circuit board. I've had plants grow to within 6" (15cm) in flower without getting light burn. With the factory power settings, I'd be about 20" from the canopy in veg, and let the plants grow to about 12" (30cm) by the time flowering starts. During flowering, I try stay about 12" (30cm) above the canopy, but don't worry until the plants get within 8" (20cm) of the light.

If you have a light meter, either Lux or PAR, you can adjust the power, and keep the light 12" (30cm) from the canopy from seed to harvest. You'll be able to get the 'perfect' amount of light to your plants. You can also leave the light at the factory settings, and use the light meter to put the fixture at the proper height to get there. You'll need to look up the PAR values, and compute the Lux values (PAR ≈ Lux / 67) or the other way around depending on the meter you have, and source of your information.

The only "supplemental" lighting I would consider is maybe a t5ho UV light in late bloom, you have plenty of available light for your space and then some!

Back
Top Bottom