Perlite buckets

ecofrog

Hello

My first thread ever, so excited. Here is my root zone management technique, perlite buckets.
20140413_174415.jpg
Its a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled 2 inches from the bottom of the bucket. This turns the bottom of the bucket into a small reservoir that the plant can use at its leisure. These holes additionally allow for air exchange at the root zone. insure that the plant can never be overwatered as fluid will just run out of the holes and provide a really decent way of gauging when the plant needs water. That 5gallon goes into another container so i can measure water effluent and not make a mess. I shop vac and exhaust water tho i could develop an auto drain and/or recirculating system if i needed. A modified tomato cage holds everything up and makes the whole plant completely moveable thruout the grow.

This system works really well if you use compost teas and other 'organic methods' yet you still want the growth and control of hydro. All of you growers using ProMix HP or other soil less mixes with 30% v/v perlite, quit clogging your perlite with peat.

So a hempy bucket... Those have been around a long time. I'm growing a sour skywalker in one right now. I love that it's hydro without all the electric crap. About twenty days into flower and haven't had a single deficiency or problem growing this way. I think it's the only way I'll grow. Plus, it's great for a poor cheap bastard like me

So do you think if you plugged the bottom two inches of holes in an airpot that it might give you best of both worlds? Or just set it in a small basin with 2 inches marked? I do straight perlite, so just curious

So a hempy bucket... Those have been around a long time. ... Plus, it's great for a poor cheap bastard like me
Oh i never knew the name, thanks for that. I googled hempy bucket and see they have been used a while. I have grown in perlite for 20+ years then someone suggested to me many years ago and now i know where they got it from. It is more expensive than DWC or NFT but if you can use the perlite in some other use after the fact, its really a great way to grow. As you said, its mostly electric free. Also, i feel the root ecosystem is much more complete when there is media vs no media (DWC or NFT) with the roots growing into the perlite and fungi, bact (the herd) apart of the growing environment. Non media hydro has a much lower herd count. Also, perlite has almost a 0 CEC/AEC value which means it doesnt hold onto salts unless its moist or has built up things like humic residues. Ive noticed the ability to flush my buckets out to very low PPM in just a few days which i like.

Airpot would mean more air exchange but also would dry out faster. Also, for me to be happy, i would need to have an airpot with a saucer within another saucer. Also, im not sure how airpots do with 100% perlite. Give it a try...

I might give it a try next grow. Would definitely need the chunky perlite. I usually go though and boil my perlite real good after a grow, and then screen it and reuse it a couple times. I do like the fact that you don't have to precharge it and don't have to worry about salt buildup. I've been watering everyday with it and haven't had a single problem. 20 plus years, I might be hitting you up for some perlite hempy grow tips. I've been using Lucas formula and have been happy with it, but it's my first grow so I don't really have anything to compare it to yet. You got any preferences that I should know for great grows? All I read up on was hempy threads, never asked questions before.

Back
Top Bottom