Perpetual Batch Grow - Indoor Hyrdo 4 1K Lights Ebb & Flow

TJGrow

Greetings and welcome to the TJGrow journal. I'm starting the journal after getting thru most of my setup and build out. I'm writing all this up in the hope of finding a few like minded online grow buddies. I always need a little help and I'm at the point where I can help others. This may not help folks with small grows as you won't face the same space constraints or folks with very large facilities. But for other folks with a single "bedroom sized" grow rooms this should be very valuable.
I've been part of a couple of grows with a partner. My first grows were run by my partner using 4 600w HPS lights. I just followed along and learned what I could. While I got a lot of hands on experience and we did produce decent grows I learned more from the mistakes. I learned a lot for the experience and now that I'm building out on my own I'm applying what I learned from that and what I've found online into a more valuable operation.
My First Grow:
IMG00029-20101011-2326.jpg

Goals
What I'm setting out to do is to maximize the production value of my facility. I'm looking to get the most quality and quantity product out of what I have available.
The nut here is to keep the plants alive and viable thru the grow. Given how helpless the plants are in a grow room this is a big job not to be taken lightly.
Why Perpetual
Time

Plants must survive at least 4 weeks vegging, 9-10 weeks flowering, 1-2 week drying, and 2 weeks curing. While these times can vary greatly I'm using times on the Kush strains I'm growing to illustrate my point. That's 13-14 weeks in the grow room or 3-4 batches a year. With my partner we did all this work in one grow room using 4 600w lights. It was the only place we had both big enough to hold a full batch of plants at the end of the veg. Once we cut them down we had to dry in the room because we still needed the area and the venting to hold the batch. We were unable to use all the lights all the time. You could speed up the grows with less veg time or you could try to force the harvests early but this costs volume and yield.
Space
I knew we had a problem when we put the first batch on the grow trays. All those little bitty plants on the grow tray just looked like a total waste of space. The issue was that we did need all that space to hold the fully grown plants so we couldn't use any more plants. The area under our lights went from empty to full during each grow. I have limited space and more space comes with increased overhead and risk.
Splitting the room into 1 veg light and 3 flower lights would knock the 4 weeks of veg time off each grow. You end up with 12 week batches or 4 per year but each batch is only 3 lights. It's a wash on the yield. (4 lights 3 batches or 3 lights 4 batches) I had to add a veg room big enough to hold a full batch so I could still grow 4 lights. I don't have that kind of space available.
Shit
Shit happens. My partner and I faced many issues with these batches: Mites, mold, nutes, grower errors and a heat wave. With 3 batches a year losing one is catastrophic. You can't replace dead plants during the grow so you just lose yield with each issue and you don't get a chance to make it up.

Perpetual
Space Solution

You want to keep the space full at all times to maximize the yield. As soon as I started in on planning multiple batches seemed like the only way to keep everything full all the time. With many small batches I don't need a full sized veg room I can get by with a veg closet. I still hold a full room of plants but as some are very young and small, only the oldest of the girls is close to full sized. My batches are between 4 and 6 plants and are targeted at the same canopy footprint. I'm buying my clones for now so my new plants are 4 inches or so tall in 1 inch cubes. I can grow them up to over 2 feet and still hold 4 batches in my veg closet. The closet uses 3 125 watt CFL lights which are cheap to run. These have proven capable of producing the needed maturity in 40 days. My rotation period is 10 days as my flower room will hold 6-7 batches allowing 9-10 weeks of flower time without overflow. New batches in the first 10 days of flowering are really growing out with the girls doubling in size. A combination of the natural growth pattern and the increased light level moving from 125 watt CFL to a spot beside the 1000w MH lights. Once they start to bud out the growth slows to just the buds. The plants have a full canopy and are ready utilize a full light for the next 40 days. When they hit 50 days they move into the confluence area between the lights. At 60 days they move out beside the lights until they are fully harvested.
Both my veg and flower rooms will fill up to capacity and stay that way until I shut it down.
Time Solution
The most valuable time I have is under the flowering lights. This is the bottleneck on my grows. Vegging in the separate closet knocks 4 weeks off my batch time in the flower room. My harvests are only one batch at a time. I will always have a batch drying in dry box in the flower room beyond the lights. I reduce the time each batch spends under the lights 5-6 weeks. I'm harvesting "1 light" every 10 days for a possible 36 batches a year. Instead of 3 batches each 4 lights a year (12 lights of yield) I can do 36 batches of 1 light (36 lights of yield) With my 4 plants a light model that's 48 plants harvested vs 144. The killer part is that my costs are almost the same. The increased over head is mostly the expense of the plants food, and medium. I will spend a little more on lights. No dark weeks to dry or idle lights during veg. Even if I lose volume if would have to be ridiculous to not come out ahead.
Shit Solution
With a rotation up and running losing a plant or even a full batch is much less of an issue. I have another right behind it to take its place. I can test strains and everything else one batch or plant at a time. I can apply a new trick to the next batch 10 days later. I still face faculty wide issue like bugs but I have two separate rooms giving me some protection from that.

I'm still working on these sections to follow with plenty of diagrams and pics:
Set Up
Vegg Closet
Water Room
Flower Room
History

Set Up

I’ve converted a closet into my veg room, a bathroom into my water room and a bedroom into a grow room. I’m using ebb and flow watering using 6 inch Rockwool cubes. I’m using General Hydroponics nutes, and Neem oil. I've got a web cam on them so I can check in on them remotely and take lots of pics.
Veg Closet
This is a converted closet off the bed room. It’s on 18/6 lighting from 3 125 watt CFL lights in hoods. The trays are 66 gal plastic tubs ($9 a piece) they have a single water line plumed into the bottom. The res is in the water room. I’m transplanting my new clones right into 6 inch cubes now.
IMG00125-20101217-1246.jpg

IMG00122-20101217-1245.jpg

Bubba Kush above and Afgan Kush below there's some Grand Daddy Purple in between.
IMG00124-20101217-1246.jpg

Water Room
This is a converted bathroom. I have 3 18 gal tubs for reservoirs. I’ll be adding one more as I complete the build out. Each res can support 4 trays (2-3 plants per tray) Right now one is ph Water , one is a grow and the other a bud food mix. I can move the feed lines from one to the other to change the mix.
IMG00117-20101216-1533.jpg

IMG00116-20101216-1533.jpg

Flower Room
I ran into one major issue building out the room. I can’t use the ceiling or the walls to mount the lights. My place is anything but a normal residential construction. I was forced to suspend the lights from a “scaffold” in the room. I built an interconnected set of adjustable metal wire shelves. My lights rest on the top shelf or are suspended underneath. Not what I wanted but very workable. I’m using 4-6 plant batches and my flower room will hold 7 batches.
roomfloorplan.jpg

This is the layout of the trays and batches in the flower room.
IMG00118-20101216-1602.jpg

OG Lemon Kush (at 39 days) on the left Purple Kush (at 19 days) on the right. Behind and above is a batch of Blueberry (at 9 days).
IMG00115-20101216-1533_3_.jpg

Purple Kush
IMG00076-20101207-1652.jpg

These are OG Lemon Kush bottom left is 10 days behind the others. I use the cages and twist ties to keep them at the same height.

Re: Perpetual Batch Grow - Indoor Hyrdo 4 1k lights Ebb&FLow

Damn dude this is gonna be cool. I have a similar setup...well not really similar but perpetual. I am doing a weekly harvest with smaller plants.
:tokin:
I am going to be following along here...I dont have a lot of time. Just want to say hey, this is kick ass and Ill be back around to pick your brain. Peace and good growin

First 5 Weeks

History (weeks 0 to 5)
I began growing with a partner at a remote site. I started in vegging thinking I'd convert that site to perpetual. My partner lost the remote location and left me with 16 vegging plants 8 Purple Kush and 8 OG Lemon Kush. I bought these from the local collective and had been building out my veg operation around them. When I decided to go it on my own I had these 16 at 6 weeks of real low light, 2 Hindu Skunk and 2 Afgan Kush at 12 weeks of mostly low light. It took me awhile to clear out the space and get ready to grow in my new spot.
IMG00034-20101026-2028.jpg

My first step was to outfit the veg closet and get the light levels up. I started using some regular low watt CFL bulbs. The plants stayed healthy but did not grow very much.
IMG00037-20101026-2029.jpg

I upgraded to the 3 125watt CFLs and put in the first ebb and flow watering. The whole set up cost me just over $200. My 20 plants were in 4 and 3 inch cubes and all fit into the 2 66gal tubs. During this time I lost a full batch to sudden death. That is they "wilted" to death over night while deployed between other plants unaffected. All were Purple OG Kush and I think it must have been genetic. I also picked up spider mites during this time from a plant a buddy brought over for me. I thought I had them dealt with using some Azatrol. The damage was light and limited to just a few plants.
2010-11-08_09-13-49_520.jpg

I got the room ready and turned on my first flower light. I moved in 4 OG Lemon Kush, 1 Purple Kush, 2 Afgan Kush, 2 Hindu Skunk. It made the first batch a double mix intended to test the strains in the new room. The 4 OG Lemon Kush were my biggest plants and had to go to clear space for more new stock. The first 10 days rocked. All the plants were close to double in size. I toped them using twist ties and kept them on my grow mix res. I learned that the Purple Kush was not going to grow to the same height as the rest but all the others grew evenly.

Batch One during the first 10 days
2010-11-14_14-31-14_372.jpg

I put the second batch in at 20 days: 3 OG Lemon Kush and 1 Purple Kush.
Batch one and two at 20 days
2010-11-26_15-06-23_804.jpg

The first few days went fine and then it got ugly real fast. When I fired up the second light I added a new res with a bud mix, raised the temps in the room, raised the humidity and I adjusted the height on the lights. We also had a local heat wave with temps 10-20 degrees above normal. All that added up to two problems:
The first was the spider mites. I'd setup the perfect conditions for them to thrive. They went from a small issue on 2 plants to system wide in just a few days. Now normally I'm a nice guy, but you eat my girls you die! I hit them with the works, Day one I used the Azatrol I had in stock and ordered a batch of 500 mixed predator mites. 2 days later I hit them with mixed predators. I ordered a 2nd batch of 1000 mesoseiulus longipes. Those guys went in on day 7. In between I hit my veg closet with Floramite. Day 10 I put in 1500 Lady Bugs. I also lowered the humidity and temps by changing up my ventilation.
I can't be certain of the effectiveness of the predator mites as they are too small to track. But the spider mites must have took a big hit from my tinny tiny hit men. I think the Ladybugs cherry picked out the big ones but most of their visible activities were flying into the lights and some sort of Ladybug gang bangs. The Floramite was 100% effective but you don't want to hit the flowering plants if you can help it. By the time I put my 3rd batch in, there was no more new webbing, and all the mites I surveyed with my magnifying glass were dead. 3 weeks later I don't see any new bug damage. I have a few surviving Ladybugs which do crawl about on the leaves.
The next was a yellowing leaf problem. What I think is that the high temps I had in the room caused the leaves to bleach. The bleaching started as a fading of the deep green they had to begin with. Once the fading started it seems irreversible resulting in the leaves yellowing and dropping off. I addressed all the issues quickly so I can't isolate the exact cause or cure. I think its resolved by lower temps and humidity. I lost many leaves but only 2 plants. The 2 Afgan Kush plants have not fared well for me. They took the brunt of the mite damage and got the yellow leaves. I cut one down right away. The other is isolated off to the side and alive but not growing much at all. She'll be stash soon.
2010-12-03_22-48-32_888.jpg

Each batch has done better than the one before it so things are going very well for me in general. My 4th batch of 4 Blueberry is looking very nice and is just starting to bud. My other plants have seen a lot of bud growth and a plugging along nicely now. I'm still losing the yellow leaves but I think the new leaves are holding their color.

Day 30-40 Plant Layout:
30-40days.jpg

very nice setup! i will be subbed for i have a bedroom size grow room as well. i have one question where/what are your roots growing into? or are you jus using the rockwool cube sitting directly on a tray???

I'm just using the rockwool cubes. I cut some strips from a thick rubber mat to keep the bottoms off the tub. I am considering putting some hydro balls under the cubes. I had one plant grow roots into the tub maybe 8 inches but they came off on their own. My tubs dry almost completely between watering so I think I could put an inch of balls under them if needed.

you could use alot more then a inch your whole tub could be filled with them. cause if you think about it your only getting 4 inches of roots verus a foot to a foot an a half in a five gallon bucket of roots..more/deeper roots stronger branches and foundation IMO

Thanks for the feedback.:blunt: I'm sure the more roots the better but I have space constraints to deal with. I've got just under 5 feet of space between my lights and the bottom of the trays. I need 1 foot minimum of that for a gap between the light and the canopy, leaving say 4 feet. I'm in six inch cubes leaving 3 1/2 feet for the plants at present. Given the growth patterns I'm seeing I don't think the plants will out grow the space but there's not much room for more medium. To me it's more an issue of what percentage of my height is required for the roots. Also, I'm filling the trays with 3 inches of water at present and there's not much more room to make that deeper. I've got the two plant trays so I can run a test in one to see if the balls increase the yield.

if you have hieght restraint then you should look into topping/fimming your plants to stay under three feet at harvest but bushy as hell. my last grow i yeilded 1 pound an 5 ounces off only four plants under a 1000w hps and they didnt even grow to be 3 feet. but you need root mass if you want strong thick branches to hold big buds up IMO

Yea, I already control height with twist ties on the tomato cages or I'd be out of space already.
Tied Bud at 18days
tiedoff.jpg

I'm thinking that a tub 34" by 16" filled with one inch of balls would do it. The thought is for roots its volume not depth. I figure the balls will need to be below the fill level to be effective.

Hi TJ Thought I would come by and see what you are up to! Very interesting... when you say balls do you mean hydroton? :popcorn:

Plants looking great~~
Possible stupid question here... I know nothing about water grows.... Do you water by flooding the container? I mean from the bottom I guess.

Very nice grow TJGrow.:grinjoint: I am very interested in your grow and I will defiantly be checking in on your grow every now and then. Keep up the good work.:goodluck:

howdy,
i just got caught up and subbed....very interesting....one of my sons grows ebb/flow, and loves it....im a dirt bagger, but this does intrigue me....more so than total hydro and aero.....right now i have about 21 strains going in various stages in what we loosely call perpetual.....we seem to pull a couple of plants a wk...sometimes more...depends on the plants development....we go by that not the wks on the seed mostly...and we do alot of sativas which take time....but yes, we are different, but similar....i agree....dont count on a vacation with perpetual....but alot more plants per year....and like you we are still figuring which are the ones we like....keep a few kush, diesels, and sativas for us, and usually a good hybrid or two....thinking about investing in some casey jones....it combines all of my favorite smoke....will ck in on you...thank you for stopping by....L:cheer::cheer:

Awesome man im goona stick around for more of this action!!! Im just startin off and will be doing soil 2 get some money up for all the expenses these endeavors entail :) but i definetlly want to get into something like this as soon as possible!!!!!

Sweet........Props donated...........

Back
Top Bottom