Pest control through addition of Jumping Spiders?

Zimbo 63

I have been wondering about the possibility of adding "jumping spiders" to my tent in order to mitigate pests.

I saw a post about Harvestmen (daddy long legs) which spin a lot of webs, hunting spiders don't build webs per se so they might be of more benfit than Daddy LL.

Anyone have experience with this and can offer advice?

From what I've read online, they are a beneficial use for an integrated pest control system in your garden as they're carnivores and eat other bugs.

Well, I can tell you that cellar spiders (daddy long legs) are not very much help, I have them in my room always and when I did have gnats, they didn't go to where the spiders went. (mostly these spiders make their webs down low, and in the corners of the room - never had one in a plant, tho the baby ones like to web the tops of my water jugs) I had to resort to yellow sticky traps and peroxide for the gnats.

I don't know that I would bring jumping spiders in tho, because they travel a lot. I definitely love having them outside in my garden. They DO watch you if you are watching them, it is pretty cool how aware they are. I hardly ever see adults tho, usually its just the little teeny ones all over the place.

Introducing another insect or spider into a closed environment like a house might not go well. If there new spider does not find enough food they will either leave and go to another room or they will die off.

Or, the spider finds enough food and starts to breed. They can eat up all the insects that were not wanted and then the problems can start. They will begin to eat every insect they find and we could loose some of the beneficial insects we had not even thought of until we find out that this beneficial insect was keeping something else under control.

Farmers have run into this more than once. Or the introduction of European Rabbits in Australia a few hundred years ago. That did not go well and it is still not over from what I remember.

Back
Top Bottom