Pests in Saucer

Biodynamic

I will upload a pic in a few days..... but I just noticed for the first time on my 3 week flowering NL plant that a good amount of tiny white pests are in the soil and come out of the saucer. They try to jump out of the saucer and look kind of like mini maggots and are white in color.

Any idea of what this could be?? Any comment appreciated

I'm far from knowing what I'm doing yet, but I'm dealing with similar critters. I've identified as Thrips. Have tried a couple things so far. Get the yellow Aphid traps you see in some of the other posts. Sticky. Cut them and put on soil face up, and hang a couple whole ones.

One thing you absolutely do not want is EcoSmart Outdoor Garden Pest Control. I picked some up at Home Depot because it was similar to Ed Rosenthal's Zero Tolerance, but about a quarter of the price. It's all natural, Thyme Oil, Rosemary Oil, etc. (don't remember all right now) and it just burned the piss out of my plants, unlike the Zero Tolerance. They look like they'll survive, but extremly ugly and stunted. The Zero Tolerance DID NOT burn my plants by the way. Good luck

Hey thanks alot Bushmaster. Since I have posted this I did pick up a pack of those yellow sticky traps which are now half-filled with the thrips. I have also sprayed down my plants with a pyrithrine spray which I mixed in with a some chili water and a bit of soap and canola oil. They seem to have chilled out alot. I will spray them again 4 days after my first dose to make sure everything is dead. I also put a little bit of chili water in one watering since pests are naturally averse to chili. I think this will be of great help..

Thanks alot for your input!

I've been using Azamax for over a year now. Seems to work great. I'll upload a link for the pdf file for you.

hi man so i'm new here. and so i will make some threads of my plant grow later. you know how stoners are lazy with the uncessarry you know. so i do that when there's time

but well i'm looking at the form her 420 Magz. and i'm finding som solution i have the say problem. and the guy above me pointed out is Thrips. and well whatever it is. is some crazy pest you know what i mean. and this thing i try to clean everything before growing and check the soild, i use just maricle grow. but this tend to happen in soild that you buy you know.

so i think those thing comes in a bag cause i clean everything. and i been growing for a few crop since i first start learn how to grow, learn everything on my own. but everytime i see thouse pest (thrips). this what holds me back from growing in a big contaner becuase though thing i think it'll leg thousands of eggs a day. but i dont every hear no one say nothing about it, ever.

my soulution : is that is hard to keep this thing in control. like the big a contaner you use it'll just speard. so if say you doing hydro but in coco and such. well the reverse reservor is done. it's all over. but in sil, is hard work but try to not use a contaner bigger than say 3 gallon for most plant. alway collow the drain water and dopse it some how immediatly if possible, to one water holding deposo area, that way if the pest is in it than you can control it cause it'll be in one place. now this is when you in middle of the grow section, and you discover the pest. if is flower keep it realative pot on the drawer side, pest might die if is not to wet maybe. mow make use the soild isn't fill all the way to the top of the pot. so the pest doesn't jump all over the room. keep it like atleast 3-4 inches below the top of the container.

is going to be harder work since is pest. but it'll be worst if it legs more eggs and i think it will lay alot so try to keep it on the dry side not too wet ok. now your saucer you might have to upgrade it somehow cause it'll be a little more expensive but, hey soil it has it up side, but since you not going hydro and having to buy hoops and stuff and set it up. you have to but it little more work in this. what you need to do is to keep the soil on the dry side not to moist but don't let the soil complete dry out or else plant will die.

but like you need to raise all the pot up off the sauser and so the drain water doesn't get pull back inside the pot. if this is possible and not to much work you and isn't hard to do there. than i command this for soild in pot method.
and maybe the the thrip will dry if is not too wet exspecial on the top surface. not i'm still just learning how to keep the top soil dry so don't sak me about that yet. throw all the soil out after tat crop is harvest.

now before growing if you doing in soild and without have to by a hydro sytem and bring it in like that, and maybe have to set it too is hard that soil so is ok if u don't like, cause it is harder that way especial the buying and bring it home. but ok the soild it talk alot of work. check the new brout soil in large bucket. keep it airiated and let it draw out for a few weeks before planting your next crop. now is important and hard but you can water it after it dary out for a few weeks, pack the soil and water it slightly to see if the thrip is in the new soild it'll jump on top if is in there.

also i want to mention that during the time you let the soild dry for a few weeks is best if you not using like 20 bags of soil alot like that and u just growing in a few 3 gallon pot. than you can phically go throw and smash all of the soil, outside if is too dusty, is hard work i know, but is not to mess when is dry soil and lose. just go over and smash it a few times. on each 3 gallow pot or the whole big box conatiner. ( the more time you phyical smash and hit the dry soil that you are use, the better chance you'll get rite of the thrip. cause well maybe if chemial kill sutff doesn't work for you, you can make this easyest but using a tool to phsicall smash the soil, like a big flat ironer like a shovo. it shouldn't take more than 1 hour to get all of those soil clean, the soil that you need.

i hope this will help you with your grow. and yea those thing and really scary i'm trying to find a better way to deal with those pest, cause it seem to be the only pest problem i ever had. and i'm still learning about how to deal it, control it. i'm getting rit of most of them but this still making me really nerversous about using a large pot conatainer. but if you let it dry out at first place and not contact one pot of water to another. and not keep your pot soil to wet. you can keep this under control throw time.

will keep you update if i find a better solution to keep this pest ever last one of those insect out of my soil. once i learn how but is all i can tell you out my expertment with the thrips.
so hope this help you with some ideas of how to fix the pest problem.
happy growing and hope u fix the trediy of cultavation pest destrucion in your soil. and i hope you find a way to destruction and kill those pest.

now 1more thing i want to add, if growing from seed. after you sprout the seed. you want to get the seed self out of there becuase i seen thosr thrip crawling out of the seed seld before. maybe is to wet and it's where those trip could arrive. so seperate the seed sprout from the seed seld befor planting in a big pot. this could save you a pest problem through out the season if you growing seeds. also wash the seed spout thurly before planting them into a pot. spray on the seed and little root if any yet, before diping them into water. a small cup of dip water is good enough. but don't spray it to the same diping water cup spray it to a trash cup.
don't use the soil you are using to spout seed to grow your weed in. if is little tray of soil or a pot just keep it little, and keep that pot away from growing pot in your garden.

and yeah just use your instinc and action to destroy the pest without touching or hurting the plant or plant root. collect the pest to one area to keep them under control. like spray it and dip it and spray it again to make use. but if you keep it organize and destuction the pest. it'll be easyer to contol. but my best anwser is to keep it try when you can, this seem to work best for me when dealing with this pest thrip i is what it is.

I hang a new No Pest Strip in the grow room for each grow. No thrips, gnats or spider mites...

Hog - What brand do you use? Hot Shot?
Guy at my local grow shop says he feels "dizzy/disoriented/funny" after being around the ones they sell in his grow room (can't remember name now) but he swears they're commercial grade and much better than stuff you buy at Home Depot (Hot Shots). I don't think he was saying this to try to sell me one. He was almost steering me away from them. I'm still tempted to try one. I hate those little f**kers.

Hog - What brand do you use? Hot Shot?
Guy at my local grow shop says he feels "dizzy/disoriented/funny" after being around the ones they sell in his grow room (can't remember name now) but he swears they're commercial grade and much better than stuff you buy at Home Depot (Hot Shots). I don't think he was saying this to try to sell me one. He was almost steering me away from them. I'm still tempted to try one. I hate those little f**kers.

Ive never experianced what your "guy" is referring to. I use a new Hot Shot with every grow and in the mother room. The results speak for themselves. Try one and see if I'm wrong. You're only risking $8......

Back
Top Bottom