PH problem in new Deep Water Culture system

When using h2o2, should you keep it in the res and add more each day? Should you use it for a couple hours after a drain and fill, then drain and fill again? Should you Add it in, and 2 days later add more?

Vaped, sorry to say it but I'm glad I'm not alone. I hope you fare better.
There is some info on H2O2 here. I also saw mention somewhere that it's basically good for 3 days so from your report that sounds about right.

I am a newb, so take it for what it's worth but if mine comes back I will be adding H2O2 every 3rd day and with every res change.:goodluck:

here's a good reference.

phnutrcombo1.gif

Nutrient_Chart.jpg

SF

PS. I know you guys (Deep Water Culture) deal with smaller reservoirs, which probably explains the "wild" PH fluctuation, but IMO you shouldn't get on that train. Set it and let it ride.

I am a newb, so take it for what it's worth but if mine comes back I will be adding H2O2 every 3rd day and with every res change.:goodluck:

PS. Next "discussion" on deck. Which Hydrogen Peroxide to use, 3% (which contain fillers, etc) or Food Grade, 35%. ;-)

SF

Dude, mine does the same thing. The PH goes from 5.5 to 8 everyday, even when I do a complete res drain and clean. The only time it doesn't swing so bad is when I use straight water, with no nutes. I have Algae that doesn't want to die. It keeps coming back no matter what. I just can't get it to go away. I have the res blacked out, with covers over the mesh baskets with the hydroton and plant. THe lid has also been blacked out. My res temps are from 70-75. 75 is max, usually 74 if the high each day. I have tried the 8 step program a few times, but everytime i think I can go 3 days without a res change, algae starts back up, and the PH is swinging like a SOB. My plants are just miserable from the problems. Maybe I'm screwing things up on this, but I have decided to try some new grow nutes, that should be in by the end of next week. I also got some new PH down coming in.
When using h2o2, should you keep it in the res and add more each day? Should you use it for a couple hours after a drain and fill, then drain and fill again? Should you Add it in, and 2 days later add more? Is it bad to PH down your res from 8 to 5.5 everyday? I think so, anyone else able to help with these questions? Thanks all!
I have had the same problem, and I found if I use 1/2 R.o water and 1/2 tap water, Watch your nutes also they can change the ph, I would then mix my nutes, ph water and let them sit for a while and then check them, I find that process to help stabilize my ph. After its all said and done I would add them to my res and adjust after 2 days

I don't get my information from mj sites...

4.0 is the lowest you should go in any medium... whether it's soil or hydro, it's still between 4.0 and 8.0. In hydro though going above 7 will severely hamper the plants ability to harvest micro nutrients... likewise going below 4.0 will severely hamper the plants ability to harvest macro nutrients.

5.5 is middle of the road for hydro, i'd advise staying between 5.0 and 6.0.

a ph of 5.0???? Thryll make it but they will be hideous looking..curling down leaves,yellowing in between veins.,purpling stems..They look bad and at a ph that low they wont grow big and healthy...5.5 is the absolute lowest...
I had PLENTY ph problems this grow..which i thought was the nute mix but it wasnt,it was just my ph was always too low.:bongrip:

same happenned.... Stil can not figured out, today my tap water is 7.5, phed down to 5.5 and air pump turned on, 24hours later it rised to 8.0... im done. still can not get 6.0ph with airpump 24/7...... i guess im going back to soil. GG

Make sure you are using a quality ph up or down. There are garbage products out there that won't hold. I have had no problems (so far) maintaining ph, at 5.5. It drifts daily usually 0.1- 0.2. Easy to correct. If you ppm is too low it will drift more. It could be your water. I am using tap water, I let sit for 48 hours. My steps for prepping nutes.

1; let tap water sit for 48 hours
2; pour tap water into dwc system
3; oxygenate the water for at least 30 minutes
4; raise ph to 11 with ph up that has silica
5; add nutes
6; check nutes 30 minutes later, and correct if needed
7; add ph down to bring to 5.5
8; check 30 minutes later and adjust
9; keep checking various times and correct until ph is stable.
10; repeat above steps once every 7 days.

This has been working well for me so far.

Back
Top Bottom