PH Rising in DWC

LazyToker

Okay so I just setup my 5 gallon bucket with 4 net pots a couple days ago for my already germinated seeds
My original ppm was 150 and after putting 2 tsp FloraNova in the res the ppm was 350 which I thought was perfect for sprouts. Anyway I PHd the water in res to 5.5-5.8 (Hard to tell because i use colored strips not the meter) So i just let the pump run overnight while i soaked my rockwool in PHd water..tested the ph and ppm the next day and there was no change

Anyway...
I rinsed hydroton, let rockwool drain a bit and put my seeds in and put them under 8 23watt cfls. Waited overnight and tested ph and ppm and nothing changed and next day same thing but today i noticed one sprout was about 1 inch over rockwool and the others are making there way to the top of the rockwool, i than tested ph and it was up around 7 so i lowered it back down to 5.5-5.8 just this morning and i am waiting to see if the ph rises again. Did i just put to much nutes in the res or could it be something else because if that's the case i will try setting ppm to 150 instead of 200 next time i put in nutes..One more thing I noticed is the 5.5-5.8 water i soaked my rockwool in was up to 7 by the next day..could it be the rockwool raising my ph? Humidity levels are unknown but temp is a steady 20 degrees Celsius which the ideal grow temp is 20-25

If anyone has some helpful info it would be appreciated

:peace:
Also should mention my PPM has not raised or lowered any, each time i test its between 345-355

Hello I will try to help with some possible issues But this would be much better posted in the FAQ section. It would be very helpful if you could upload a picture of the setup there. I think I have an idea of what you are working with, but I am not 100% sure... This site hosts pictures on your account. Very handy.

I am guessing that you are using tap water since you said you had an initial ppm of 150?
Tap water depending where you are from has all sorts of impurities and chemicals in it that can take a few days to disperse, and these can affect ph. Bubbling water before using it or adding some H2O2 (hydrogen proxide) can help to stabilize the water.

Did you have roots already in the water for your bucket? Does the rockwool have dangling roots in the water or just sprouts from the top?
Roots in the water can cause ph to rise as they feed/drink and the nutrient to water ratio changes.

My final guess could be light leaks through the hydroton allowing algae/slime to form in the res and this can cause ph to rise.

Pictures would help get a response from a more experienced person as well as posting in the FAQ section.
link here
Frequently Asked Questions

Hey thanks for the reply..."But this would be much better posted in the FAQ section" Yeah sorry about that i am still working my way around this site and am not usually posting but i do appreciate the reply. Yes i am using tap water, i guess i should switch to distilled at the least? and no roots yet
I am unable to post pictures right now but i did change the water in my res earlier and i think you are right, I noticed that there was some build up on the side of the res so i will be sure to put more pellets in there to keep the light from getting in
I appreciate the help and i will be sure to post any other questions in the FAQs area
Thanks

Good luck man! no worry about the post I wasn't upset or anything just figured I would try to point you in the right direction since no one responded. Some paper or foil over the hydroton could also help.

If you are using tap water for your Deep Water Culture the pH will naturally rise until the calcium pH buffer is overcome. If you are using Reverse Osmosis or distilled water you will need to supplement calcium and magnesium to make up for what the water is lacking.

Back
Top Bottom