PH testing: Tools you use?

416Medical

420 Member
I’m wondering what sort of tools people are using for testing PH. I’ve heard blulabs makes a great ph tester. I’ve heard about EC levels but unsure of what I need to test and what levels I’m looking to be at for everything. What is in your toolkit and what levels do you shoot for in everything you are measuring?

I have one of those two-pronged thingies you stick in the ground; I have a powder kit which requires mixing dirt with water and the powder and watching which color appears; and I have Ph strips which are used for testing urine and saliva in humans. All three give the same results, they are quite close. (The latter: I mix some dirt with bottled spring water until it's mud, then put the strip in the mud as per directions for saliva, and it works, and is cheap.)

pH testers are used to ensure your water is in the proper range. You can get away with using liquid pH indicator. If doing hydroponics it is extremely important. TDS testers measure the strength of your nutrient solution. Nutrient manufacturers have tables showing concentration recommended at various growth stages.

I’m growing with a soil and perlite mixture. I suppose city tap water should be decently in range for PH levels. Is it necessary to get something to measure EC if you have good nutes and follow the guidelines for them? I plan to use remo nutrients.

i bought a tester.. used it once and switched to using drops...

I have an easier time with the ph tape stuff getting a reading as my first nutes made the water rather dark so harder with the drops for me (that and instructions on drops said 3-5 drops, which to me seems a wide range and a drop isn't always the same amount). Varies on how you are growing too, as in soil ph just needs to be in a "range" whereas hydro a little bit off can bite you harder. One of those "if it's working for you then don't mess with it and screw things up" kind of things.

I have an easier time with the ph tape stuff getting a reading as my first nutes made the water rather dark so harder with the drops for me (that and instructions on drops said 3-5 drops, which to me seems a wide range and a drop isn't always the same amount). Varies on how you are growing too, as in soil ph just needs to be in a "range" whereas hydro a little bit off can bite you harder. One of those "if it's working for you then don't mess with it and screw things up" kind of things.

I think the 3-5 drop thing is just to make sure you get enough.. i haven't seen a color difference from 2-5 drops other than opacity.. i usually use a small ammount of water and 2-3 drops tops...

Back
Top Bottom