PHed water for flushing?

Caregivers

Hello fellow growers,

As we all sometimes have these little questions that plague our minds while working on our ladies, I had one that has bothered me all day. This thread is for opinions and observations. This is not a yes or no thread, I want an answer then an explaination for the answer. Now the question was in the title : Should I PH my water when I flush my plants? Is there a benefit for doing so?

I flush for a week up to 2 weeks depending on nute strength and strain. I use R/O water that has 0 ppm when comes out and the PH is a little on the high side, around 7.2 or so. I use bubblers in 8 gal. tote or 5 gallon buckets. The optimal range for PH for nute soup is 5.8 (in hydro). Now would there be any advantages for me to PH my water to 5.8 while flushing?

My opinion is that No there isnt any advantage. Plants will always drink the water no matter what the PH is. So I dont PH my water.

So please post your thoughts and happy growing! :peace:

CGs

I am midway thru my first hydro grow, so I can't offer an answer based on experience, but my logic says:
plants drink water, it's what they do
the purpose of a flush is to cleanse any residue from nute soup
anything used to adjust PH contributes to the nute soup
therefore a flush should be clear fresh water, IMO

Barto.

Right on man. Most often during Hydro flush you can use a product (like FloraKleen) from General Hydroponics for a couple of days, then switch over to plain ole water for several more days.

I usually change the water 3-5 times as each change will have some nutes that are released from the plants. But by the 4th or 5th change the PPM's will usually not display any nutes, so you'll know you are good to go.

Sf.

Wow great answers both Barto and SF....

Similar to my train of thought. I will have to try you rmethod of changing out water a few times. Normally I go for a week then change out water again for a few days. Now Im gonna have to check my ppm just for kicks and see if it will make a huge diffference in taste.

Again thanks both of you for you great answers...I know it took alot of courage! :bravo:

CGs

I do pH my water even when I flush. The root system is still sensitive to pH changes and drastic pH changes can be especially harmful to ganja. During the last week or so I want the plants to concentrate on adding trichs and not stressing out due to pH.

Homegrownhairy,

Good point! I need to do a trial and see what happens. My plants are not showing any stress when I use un PHed water. I wonder if PH would have a "chemical" taste or affect the smoke in anyway.

Thanks for chipping in!

CGs

Homegrownhairy,

Good point! I need to do a trial and see what happens. My plants are not showing any stress when I use un PHed water. I wonder if PH would have a "chemical" taste or affect the smoke in anyway.

Thanks for chipping in!

CGs

Not that I'd notice. I only use 2 drops of pH down per gallon, but YMMV. I do believe it keeps the plants happy. Ganja is very sensitive to ph fluctuations and I'd rather it spends it's last days making resin and not stressing about pH

I was reading your post and am almost at that point in my grow. I have heard two different ways. Like someone said earlier using a flushing agent at the end. And just water. I was told if you are using a true organic line of nutes the flushing agent isnt needed. water only. But if your using chemical nutes use a flushing agent.Then water. Good luck:thumb::thumb:

I was reading your post and am almost at that point in my grow. I have heard two different ways. Like someone said earlier using a flushing agent at the end. And just water. I was told if you are using a true organic line of nutes the flushing agent isnt needed. water only. But if your using chemical nutes use a flushing agent.Then water.Always PHed. Good luck:thumb::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom