Phenominawesome Family First Grow Tries Aurora Indica, AK48's - 1KW MH/HPS - 5x5 Tent

Re: Phenominawesome Family First Grow Tries Aurora Indica, AK48's - 1KW MH/HPS - 5x5

I start my flush way earlier, when trichomes are mostly cloudy, because I like to harvest when I see 10-20% amber trichomes.
Hi Dinsdale, ya I want to harvest one of the AKs at that time. They are sativa leaning hybrid I thought these two plants at different stages but the mature one looks immature again lol. I think it was suffering and now back on track. The trichomes are more cloudy on that one though.

It will likely be the biggest one in the middle that's least mature but we'll have to see.

Thanks Dinsdale!

Re: Phenominawesome Family First Grow Tries Aurora Indica, AK48's - 1KW MH/HPS - 5x5

I'm about 99.99 percent sure Pennywise called it right with a deficiency. I went under my cannopy before lights out and looked up, blocking light and confirmed something now very obvious. Only those places on the second and third set down and only those in the direct light.

The smallest shade stops the spots dead.

Logically, I suppose still possible that fungus weakened it so that photosynthesis is struggling.

However it seems much more logical to be missing something for high performance photosynthesis.

Since having a better PH Im hoping a couple of slight leaching waterings will get her back to tip top in time for flushing.

I'm technically starting now really, in that they only get water. In one week I will run clearing solutions Yucca on one AK, Flourakleen the other AK, IDK yet... I would like to clear all salts fast as possible from the soil so she can start to eat up her own stores.
From what I've read, for the same clarity of elements I would need a 2 week flush for soil. Coco and other inert medium can do 1 week, hydro a few days
I welcome any first hand experiences from others!

Calcium will do that, half of a leaflet will be in shade and be healthy the other half getting light will show damage.

Calcium will do that, half of a leaflet will be in shade and be healthy the other half getting light will show damage.
Yeah since then I've given them tap water the pH much closer to 7 than 6.5 and the runoff is coming out with a pH of near 6! even... that's pretty freaky.

That would explain the calcium issues, potassium issues, builduips lockout etc.

as well as what I'm seeing right now that appears to be a magnesium problem on the middle plant but the thing is all of them I've been watered with florakleen and regular clear pH water since showing any issues so hopefully that will break up some excess salts and I can look into how to finish off with low soil PH and water.

I'll water again with just standard close to 7 pH water and looking to soil pH amendments and see if there's something I can do to make sure they finish out properly at this point I think it's not really too big of a concern if I can just make sure the medium is clear, no builduips, and the water is PHd they could probably finish out on their own.

I'm fairly sure that is the problem, I'll find a solution and now I know why folks anend soil for better PH buffering. Microbes should help but even so with all of the nutrients that are added its no wonder so many FF soil and nutes people have PH issues late in flower.

Edit didn't finish my thought:)

Week 8 12/12 day 50.

Sounds like I could try some dolomite lime, however I am getting mixed info on how long it takes to work. I've read couple of days to a couple of weeks.

All of the plants were fine with 1tsp gal of florakleen so far.

Per the bottle, if used in soil I can fertilize as usual next watering.

Nobody gets food, save for the AK#4 tomorrow, and only if my nutrient PH expiriment goes as planned.

I've made a batch of nutes in tap water.

-It takes 1.25 tsp/gallon of water PH up (gen hydro) to get tap water with nutrients up to high 6s.

Going to see what happens pver night to the mix.

Who knows though? It may surprise me....

Some pics of Aurora Indica first... Start week 8:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Since the pollination happened early I was worried they wouldn't swell.
Last 2 weeks put that worry to bed, they took on a good shape after all.

IGFx??
AK5
AK4

Hope everyone has a great day today!!

Going to pop in on some folks gardens, .️

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Day 51 12/12

-Odd thing happened today when watering the AI. I decided today to water heavy as in letting the top of the pot fill up a bit. My thought is that it will help suck fresh air down into the pot when it drains down, and this did appear to happen!

What I wasn't expecting was a bunch of little bugs pop up and crawl around a bit before going back into the soil!

Oh my gosh, I about had a heart attack right then!! I thought they looked like mites maybe or something different. I didn't see them jumping either but after some reading they sound like springtails? They were gone faster than I could register their appearance.

- So what I did was grabbed the Mosquito bits which BTW *side note for the first time in 10 years I don't have fungus gnats in my home. It's a combo these and $10 100 pack of yellow sticky traps. I would place some in a cup of water where they like to hang out and sure as heck they all seem to lay their eggs in that crap, fly over and stick to the trap. Anyway, since being free of them for about a month I'm seeing a few throughout the house and in the office. None in the grow room yet but I figure it's a matter of time so applied some mosquito bits to the soil before my second pour.

When I poured a second time I watched a bit closer and it does look like they are just crawling super fast out of the soil and back in again.

If they are fungus gnat larva they will die. However these do not look like any larva to me.

-I did a thorough inspection of the leaves for bugs and/or eggs and do not see anything.

Think they are these "Springtails" and something that as a soil grower should not be too concerned with?

I really do not like bugs. It's nothing personal, I know they are necessary for the ecosystems and balance on Earth.

I just don't want them on or around my buds :)

Here's to hoping they are less attracted to coco.

-Also, After some further observation and research, I do not think it's a necessity to worry about the PH in AK4 just yet. The problem that I first thought was magnesium is a just a plain ol nitrogen deficiency. Something I'm told to expect at this stage. It's no wonder really, the plant is huge with little soil...heck it feels like a solid ball of roots down there now.

So here is where I am torn: I did not feed the AK#4 any more nutrients.
It's definitely at the least using up all of it's N. The middle leaves are turning yellow and once yellow fall off easily (I mistook this for something else at first because one of the leaves was harder to pull off than expected. Couple of days later it was a bit more yellow and fell off to a touch - confirming N def).

The Trichomes are still about 50% clear (meaning each lil head can be about 50% cloudy, some all the way cloudy, some clear too. looks like a 50 average).

So (get to the point dude!) :) .... is it too early to stop the food?...When lights come on it will be time to water of feed her so I'll decide before then.

Good Morning Phenoman,

Your grow is looking nice...the last pictures you posted are evidence enough. Good job!

In terms of your flush: I personally don't flush soil...just stop adding nutes (I wouldn't start dolomite at this point...it's too late.) and let the plants finish out on plain water...without flushing them per se.

In terms of the Mosquito bits: First off I'm not bashing you or anyone who uses them, but for heaven's sake, look at the label and the SDS that accompanies this stuff and ask some reasonable questions:

1. First warning: Keep out of reach of children (I wonder why?)
2. Second warning: Caution: Harmful if inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, or clothing. Avoid breathing dust. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco or using the toilet. Remove contaminated clothing before reuse.
3. Third warning: Do not apply directly to treated, finished drinking water reservoirs or drinking water receptacles when the water is intended for human consumption.
4. Fourth warning: Do not apply to finished, treated human drinking water sources. (Funny this is noted twice!)
5. Fifth warning: Active Ingredient: Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies Israelensis, Strain 144 solids, spores and insecticidal toxins*
6. Sixth warning: The SDS for this product is A. Incomplete, B. It does not specify that this product has been approved for food grade use, nor has it been approved by the USDA or FDA for food grade use. It also doesn't specify use on food crops, nor does it specify any application data / harvest data.

Meanwhile so many people are placing this stuff on top of their mediums or in the bottom of their runoff trays, and watering it right into the roots or allowing it to be soaked up by the roots. One has to consider whatever is in this stuff is being taken right up into the plant and then you're going to consume the plant?....not this white boy.

For the record I have 22+ years working in Commercial Agriculture with 16 years of it dealing with Food Grade issues to include crop pesticides and treatments. I am also currently Hazardous Material Certified and have been for 15 years; my experience in this field ranges across a very broad cross of products, both approved for food grade uses and not.

I'm not bashing the product; I believe it works quite well. I am suggesting though, that using this on a plant that you intend to consume is 100% crazy! I wouldn't touch that smoke with a 10' pole at this point. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but better safe than sorry. I know a lot of people are using it...but this doesn't make it any safer. All of those precautions listed above, aside from the last one, are listed on the label. If you haven't used it yet; I wouldn't put it in your plants.

Aside from the friendly warning...your grow is coming along nicely.

Good Morning Phenoman,

Your grow is looking nice...the last pictures you posted are evidence enough. Good job!

In terms of your flush: I personally don't flush soil...just stop adding nutes (I wouldn't start dolomite at this point...it's too late.) and let the plants finish out on plain water...without flushing them per se.

In terms of the Mosquito bits: First off I'm not bashing you or anyone who uses them, but for heaven's sake, look at the label and the SDS that accompanies this stuff and ask some reasonable questions:

1. First warning: Keep out of reach of children (I wonder why?)
2. Second warning: Caution: Harmful if inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, or clothing. Avoid breathing dust. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco or using the toilet. Remove contaminated clothing before reuse.
3. Third warning: Do not apply directly to treated, finished drinking water reservoirs or drinking water receptacles when the water is intended for human consumption.
4. Fourth warning: Do not apply to finished, treated human drinking water sources. (Funny this is noted twice!)
5. Fifth warning: Active Ingredient: Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies Israelensis, Strain 144 solids, spores and insecticidal toxins*
6. Sixth warning: The SDS for this product is A. Incomplete, B. It does not specify that this product has been approved for food grade use, nor has it been approved by the USDA or FDA for food grade use. It also doesn't specify use on food crops, nor does it specify any application data / harvest data.

Meanwhile so many people are placing this stuff on top of their mediums or in the bottom of their runoff trays, and watering it right into the roots or allowing it to be soaked up by the roots. One has to consider whatever is in this stuff is being taken right up into the plant and then you're going to consume the plant?....not this white boy.

For the record I have 22+ years working in Commercial Agriculture with 16 years of it dealing with Food Grade issues to include crop pesticides and treatments. I am also currently Hazardous Material Certified and have been for 15 years; my experience in this field ranges across a very broad cross of products, both approved for food grade uses and not.

I'm not bashing the product; I believe it works quite well. I am suggesting though, that using this on a plant that you intend to consume is 100% crazy! I wouldn't touch that smoke with a 10' pole at this point. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but better safe than sorry. I know a lot of people are using it...but this doesn't make it any safer. All of those precautions listed above, aside from the last one, are listed on the label. If you haven't used it yet; I wouldn't put it in your plants.

Aside from the friendly warning...your grow is coming along nicely.
Wow... That's a huge bummer.
And you know what's crappy is that my entire grow started based on two reputable growers videos and both used this.

I know now that I will not be eating it, hopefully smoking it doesn't taste like crap.

This has come as yet another blow to our happy home.

Out of budget for medicine and have ounces of it, seeded, premature and poison.

On the plus side I guess I got my unemployment, paid bills and had just enough for some coco, GH nutes and grow bags.

Let's hope these autos are better

You work in agriculture, not looking for a jr grower are you ;) ?
Half kidding...Or a systems administrator?

I got really lucky and took a chance got a degree in software development with a rocky past. Spent my 20s in prison on and off got wrapped up in meth as a kid.

Long story long, got my shit together, I found a great hearted man to give me a shot out of school at 35 years old.

Worked my ass off for them and it was great, but business slowed this year and they had to make cuts.
N
As is my curse, for better or worse I have many interests and programming computers is a lot less interesting than growing currently.

Actually, not sure on the poison factor but misquito bits are corn with bti approved for organic gardening.

I did see those scary warnings, and headed them with my hands. Odd it's so poisonous prior to application as it's a bacteria that targets misquitos.

Definitely needs more investigation.

Good Morning Phenoman,

I certainly am not trying to bum you out or even speak against those who use this product. Like you, I've seen quite a few people using it and they have fantastic grows to boot. Simply put, in my opinion, and we all know we all have them, I wouldn't use it on a food crop and at the end of the day, cannabis is just that; a food crop. Never the less, don't do anything crazy...roll with it and just consider perhaps some other options down the road.

Here's a little tip...those yellow sticky boards used to catch bugs and what not...instead of hanging them from strings or putting them on popsicle sticks...lay them sticky side up, directly on your medium. This way, they not only catch the flying gnats, but they catch the larvae and immature gnats before they begin flying. In this way, you'll break their life cycle and you'll eliminate them. If you're always waiting for them to fly into the traps, you're not getting them before they have a chance to lay their eggs and then bam...you're back to square one. Any soil grow I've observed has had gnat issues, and when they're treated as above, the entire problem is gone within 2 weeks...they don't come back unless you inoculate your area with them from the outside...and it's safe.

So to your employment question; I am semi retired at this point, but I'm also too young to quit working, so like you, I find myself in a position looking for 'work' or what I call 'my next adventure'. I am in a position to take a chance, step out of the box if you will and all with the funds to make a relatively decent investment in a business or firm which makes sense (whether it's my business or another's). I am exploring the cannabis game as we speak, but it's rather complex, especially being I reside in a state where recreational use isn't permitted. With that being said, I am obviously looking at those states where freedom reigns in terms of cannabis, but of course before I up root everything I know and love; what ever the situation, it has to make sense. Like you, I was fortunate enough to meet a real gentleman, my mentor if you will, many years ago and he took a chance on me; it paid off for us both and while he's since passed, I feel it's my obligation to treat people the same way he treated me and to take a chance or two along the way on decent people and decent opportunities. So let me ask, and please, don't say a word if you can't...but if you can confirm, are you located in a state that allows for the use of cannabis legally...if so perhaps we can converse a little further? I'm certainly open to conversation that might further my next adventure and in turn further someone else's dream as well. Let me know.

Again, don't be dismayed by my post about the Bits...we all have preferences and things that set off our alarms. I am not all knowing...just being cautious.

Good Morning Phenoman,

I certainly am not trying to bum you out or even speak against those who use this product. Like you, I've seen quite a few people using it and they have fantastic grows to boot. Simply put, in my opinion, and we all know we all have them, I wouldn't use it on a food crop and at the end of the day, cannabis is just that; a food crop. Never the less, don't do anything crazy...roll with it and just consider perhaps some other options down the road.

Here's a little tip...those yellow sticky boards used to catch bugs and what not...instead of hanging them from strings or putting them on popsicle sticks...lay them sticky side up, directly on your medium. This way, they not only catch the flying gnats, but they catch the larvae and immature gnats before they begin flying. In this way, you'll break their life cycle and you'll eliminate them. If you're always waiting for them to fly into the traps, you're not getting them before they have a chance to lay their eggs and then bam...you're back to square one. Any soil grow I've observed has had gnat issues, and when they're treated as above, the entire problem is gone within 2 weeks...they don't come back unless you inoculate your area with them from the outside...and it's safe.

So to your employment question; I am semi retired at this point, but I'm also too young to quit working, so like you, I find myself in a position looking for 'work' or what I call 'my next adventure'. I am in a position to take a chance, step out of the box if you will and all with the funds to make a relatively decent investment in a business or firm which makes sense (whether it's my business or another's). I am exploring the cannabis game as we speak, but it's rather complex, especially being I reside in a state where recreational use isn't permitted. With that being said, I am obviously looking at those states where freedom reigns in terms of cannabis, but of course before I up root everything I know and love; what ever the situation, it has to make sense. Like you, I was fortunate enough to meet a real gentleman, my mentor if you will, many years ago and he took a chance on me; it paid off for us both and while he's since passed, I feel it's my obligation to treat people the same way he treated me and to take a chance or two along the way on decent people and decent opportunities. So let me ask, and please, don't say a word if you can't...but if you can confirm, are you located in a state that allows for the use of cannabis legally...if so perhaps we can converse a little further? I'm certainly open to conversation that might further my next adventure and in turn further someone else's dream as well. Let me know.

Again, don't be dismayed by my post about the Bits...we all have preferences and things that set off our alarms. I am not all knowing...just being cautious.
Hey thanks so much for the inquiry.
I'm in a limbo situation.
I am going to be relocating back to the Detroit area, which while booming medical is still not recreational.
I'm currently getting our house ready to sell.
The reason for the move is mainly family.
I have to care for my elderly mother and have a ton more around these state.
So to answer your question, if I were to consider a business venture I would love to do it in MI.
I've done some preliminary investigation and with the ability to be caretaker for 5 patients with 12 plants each... This is just me looking at a little show to help some folks.
I think to sell to dispensary gets a bit difficult with licensing for me.

So crazy, we are in a similar spot. The difference unfortunately is that we had a very rough year last year with some very large expenses that wiped out our cushion so the job thing was bad timing.

Good thing is that I have never failed with persistence.

I would add, I had a mentor for 5 years who changed everything for me. I thank you for that reminder because of ever there was a time to reconnect, see if he might need someone to talk to.

On the bits.

The bti I'm not too concerned about. However I don't like the vague insecticide warning.
I hope that the warnings are too scare inhalation of fungi. But better save than sorry.

Will not eat this one ;)

Thanks also for the gnat tip!! Once out of the garden they haven't returned yet. The critters in AI pot is springtails. Saw them jump at water in a cup.

Phenoman,

I totally get needing to move to help out your family; kudos to you for making that sacrifice.

I wish you the best as you seek work and now that you know my situation, if something comes up on your end and you'd like to discuss an opportunity; you know where to find me. At this point it's best for me to be patient and do my homework; while jumping into a game which interests me to no end sounds fantastic, one can't be successful on emotions alone. In time I'll find my next stop and so will you, but one thing is for sure, at least in my mind; we cross paths with certain people for certain reasons and it's important to never discount those moments.

I appreciate your willingness to chat about your situation and I appreciate the time and effort you're taking to share your growing journey with me and the others here.

Have an awesome Friday my friend!

Day 54 Harvest 0.1! - "More noob hyjinx".

I was going to say that I cut down the Aurora bit that's mean.. She's finishing up nicely.
Matter of fact, she is the most mature but also we want her to go as long as possible without making Ambien.

So ending of week 8 and everything is going swimmingly.

I decided to sacrifice the mystery Iced Grapefruit plant yesterday to an experiment and harvested the top half on day 54. Letting the bottom half continue unless it dies or herms...its been a full day and the plant looks fine. Didn't even droop at all, wonder if it's in mh shock.

Trichomes are milky on the buds harvested. There were an amber here and there as well a couple still clear. Not ideal really but not upset with the effect for sure.

Total honesty, out of money for medicine and I couldn't bring myself to interfere with the others. I am tracking weights and will do a smoke report on some that is dried and cured well for at least a little bit.

This is my smallest plant by far and truth be told I didn't care for the mother very much so we were both like, wth let's try it.

I think this was actually Super Iced Grapefruit from spain, hence the odd look that I couldn't place when compared to regular Iced Grapefruit.... Anyway.

This thing stacked way too tight making airflow impossible without heavy defoliation and even then the lowers got little light. Add the rediculous amounts of resin and the leaves just get all stuck while trying to grow. That trait alone is why I'm keeping the seeds. If that could be locked in and the potential bisexuality bred out, it would be a rosin dream come true. Who knows.

Some foreshadowing : I made a great choice:) some crazy potent stuff...

The reason the buds looked the way they did, I come to find is similar to what I see in breeding rooms.

They have a good deal of very large ripe tiger striped seeds deep in the buds. Telling me that it had to be that bisexual plant doing the pollination.

Anyway, I have the buds hanging in a closet upside down and will be moving them to my office closet that has a more stable humidity level.
The current dry is the closet on the grow room so humidity spikes. I can keep the other closet a perfect temperature and close on humidity.

We dried a couple of buds to sample at 150 degrees for 4 hours in a toaster oven...I know, I know...

I have to digress a second here and say only this.
I am a coffee snob. I do not like shitty coffee. I will drink whatever you have to wake up, but dangit I will take the extra time and money to have good coffee most of the time.

When I smelled the chlorophyll I thought what the hell this is garbage?! I just literally grew a bunch of grass:(
I really had no idea this smell would present itself and how embarrassing. It's a plant what would I expect?

I knew you had to dry properly for a good smoke and plan to for the majority, but I didn't understand that the cure is about removing chlorophyll and letting terpines express themselves better.

So that is why I bring up the coffee snob thing. I finally get the reason for a good cure. It will be great when we have enough on hand to be more patient.

Quick question how long of a cure does it take to remove most of the chlorophyll smell?

I didn't taste it too much when smoked although it was a little harsh. Heck not as harsh as some of the stuff we buy haha.

AK5 will be next... Maybe a week.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Good Morning Phenoman,

Congrats on the harvest! Have an a great Sunday.
Thank you! Have a great Sunday as well!

Congrats on your harvest! Very nice job! :thumb:

I am a coffee snob. I do not like shitty coffee. I will drink whatever you have to wake up, but dangit I will take the extra time and money to have good coffee most of the time.

Same here. I just spent two days with my wife in Milano, Italy, this weekend and let me tell you, it was coffee heaven! Italian coffee is the best! :circle-of-love:

Quick question how long of a cure does it take to remove most of the chlorophyll smell?

Sometimes, a strain smells wonderful from the get go. And sometimes, it smells like shit for weeks before turning into something really good. You just have to check it regularly.

Back
Top Bottom