Philthegeek, 2019 Grow

philthegeek

Day 1: :)

Hi all!

Was going to wait a while for the weather here to cool down, but think i have my venting better sorted and am going to crank up. Have travel plans mid year, want this one done and harvested in time for that but with no pressure to harvest early. Here, i just have to accept that i will get temps in there around 30-38 C until end March.

Anyhow, being a tinkering type person have rebuilt the watering......again.........based on experience with my last grow and the DWC experiment i did at the same time. Neater setup. The polystyrene i used last time is messy and i got quite a bit of algae growth.

Anyway, photos of the watering set up:

Autopot Smartvalve based, from a 20l jerry can on the shelf. Bricks are to reduce the standing volume to get faster flood and drain cycle. Lead dive weight is to make sure the Smartvalve doesn't float and is NOT in the water. Bottom up watering system. The Smartvalves are actually attached with a couple of screws to the grey platstic 3 sided box. However, have tested to make sure the moving parts of the Smartvalve (float) moves freely.

Set this up last night and put the pots in without any top down water applied. By this morning the top of the pot is still dry, but about 30mm under the surface starts to feel damp which is what i want ongoing. This kind of system really does need a top down soaking to get it properly started for capillary action in the soil, and here, because we have pretty salty tap water a top down flush every 4 / 8 weeks or so.

I have put 16 female seeds, dipped in "Great White" bacteria / mycorrhizal additive, into 8 jiffy pots to germinate today. Will pick the best 4 of those, put them in the pots, and thin them down to 1 plant per pot. Will need to top down water for the first couple of weeks, but once the seedlings have roots and take off will only top down every week or 10 days with 1/2 strength Thrive and Neem.

Have done a bit of reading as to whether the Neem will affect the Great White mycorrhizae. I suspect not, but if anyone has advice opinions on this would appreciate it. They wont get anything but water for the next 3-4 weeks anyway.

Also, got some Fulvic for free. Anyone advice or opinions on that?? Am thinking of adding it to the weekly nutes??

So, all in a 1.2x1.2 tent, 1000W HPS dimmed down to 60% for veg.

Soil mix is what i have used before. Coarse river sand, some coco peat, pine bark fines, a little CaCO3, Dolomite, "Growers Blue" NPK fertiliser, and a little Osmocote slow release. That then mixed 50/50 with coarse Perlite. I have found this mix wicks up the water from the bottom well, is nice and "fluffy" with the Perlite so i have a healthy, aerated root zone even though the pot spends most of its time with the bottom 25mm flooded. With this kind of mix it is REALLY hard to over-water. There is enough in the way of nutes in there to keep the plants happy without burning them in the establishment phase. Later will add Thrive, trace element, neem mix @ about 200ml / pot / week and see how things go. :)

Oh have also added an air-pump with an airstone into each bin just to ensure nuthin goes anaerobic in the bins. Probably not really needed but i had the kit anyway.

The black nally bins with black lids gives be a dark root zone. All good. But........under the light, the black nally bin lids get pretty warm. So I added a layer of some insulation i had left over from a 74 Beddy camper van renovation (work in progress, belongs to my ex but have usage rights, be wary of introducing a "classic" vehicle into your life... doGs above finding parts...... :( ).

Anyhow, all set and ready to roll once the seeds pop. Seeyahs!

Ok, have to fess up to massive FAIL. :(

Germination rate very low. Only got 1 survivor out of about 16 seeds.

Now officially Day 3 accoring to my timing...as....

Have put some more female seeds in a paper towel, rolled up, wrapped in gladwrap, and paper end in a jar of plain water. No Great White added.

After that, now have good germination and little tackers with roots 15 /20mm long. :) At the moment i have about a dozen of those 2 to a jiffy pots and will have a few more by tomorrow i think. :) Got them in a "mini-greenhouse" tray in the main tent under 60% 20 / 4 light.

Will see how they take off and will thin them down to 1 plant / pot before they get too developed.

Pots have been sitting in the bins for about a week with the watering on and are through and through damp, but not wet, so are all ready to take the seedlings once they show roots poking out the jiffy pots. :)

So, planting the seeds direct to the jiffy pots, after dusting them in Great White just didn't work. Same batch of seeds germinated well by the paper towel and just water method ???

Would appreciate any feedback from people with ideas why. Was it the Great White??

Planning is that if these seeds take off as i hope, i will put a little Great White in the hole as i plant the jiffy's into the main pots. But only a little. Maybe i over did it dusting them pre-germination and should apply the "less is more in the early days" principle as with nutes??

Anyhow UiSmoke...if it was a race...you win mate and i'm out for rather perplexing unknown reasons. :(

Seeyahs all. :)

Day 5:

Added another 4 inch fan to help airflow. Hot here...but not as bad as the eastern states. Pt Augusta in S.A. got to 49.5 C today. :(

Babies doing well i think. Have thinned out to 8 plants in 8 jiffy pots. They are all standing up nicely and going green.

Once they show roots outside the jiffy pots will pick the best 4 to pot up.

Seeyahs!

Day 7:

Saw roots out of the jiffy on 1 plant today. 8 jiffies now planted in 4 x 250mm pots. Both jiffies in the center of their pots as i am going to quad-line these and plan to spend a bit more time in veg this grow.

Been looking at:

Ase's Multi-Strain Quadlining In Coco

for advice on that.

Dusting of Great White on the bottom of each jiffy pot.

Pots are dry on the surface, nicely damp, but not wet, about 25mm down which is just how i like it.

Will have to water twice a day until the roots are properly developed to avoid the whole small plant big pot thing but that's cool. Shoudl only be an ussie for the next 10 days or so i think.

Will select and thin down to 1 plant / pot after they have started to take off.

So, for now, all going well. :)

Day 9:

All well. All 8 plants standing up nicely, first true leaves expanding, and next set coming on. Giving them a decent top down soak around the jiffy pots twice a day. Can do that with no fear of overwatering as the 50% perlite soil mix drains very well.

:)

"And roots stay healthy. "

Yup. I think that is absolutely critical, especially in the early stages.

Last grow i fwarked up a bit as when i was doing the mix i had run out of perlite and used vermiculite instead. FAIL!

Soil mix was sort of ok, and the bottom up watering still worked, but was to heavy and over the grow much more damp than i like it. With this 50% perlite mix that i normally use the whole thing is much more maintenance free and over / under watering appears to be a complete non-issue.

This setup is a good one i think. The only issue is in the early stages before the plants have a root system established through the deeper parts of the pot where the water is. Small plant, Big pot problem. Will be over that by day 20 i think.

Day 9 photos. They are big enough to be actually visible. :)

"Some grow in perlite only (hempy) which works well. "

I used straight perlite for a recent small DWC hydro experiment. Worked ok, but for the bottom up watering i use i'd still go with soil mix / perlite. The soil mix acts well as a bit of a buffer for pH and nute issues, provided you are careful to add nutes at low strength. Less, but more often as needed. Hydro type grows need too much pH monitoring and adjustments for a lazy grower like me. :)

Back
Top Bottom