Photo Gallery Updates

...anyway, when people post in threads with big unresized images, it turns a thread into a 400mb monster bandwidth eater. My initial thought/post was oriented towards sending all 420 images to gallery and force the threads images displayed clientside to be a 1.2mb jpeg of same dimensions but not 8mb. Make us click to see the full res image
I think you may be a little off track here, all photos are resized upon upload. Can you show me an 8mb photo on this website? As far as I know, you’d have more luck finding big foot.

You dont know what an unresized 8mb photo is? It's usually 4000x3000 or thereabouts
I understand this more than you think, the problem is that you are not explaining yourself yet in a way that I can understand. I think you’re a little off track, but that’s why I started this thread to get us all on the same page.

Yeah that likely may be me attributing something from somewhere else. By all means remove my sideways injections. If its true i eat my mistakes my bad. Just delete them and forget i was here today. Honest...not even bugging about the micro edit of my profanity...much respect

Some feedback...

The only time I have ever uploaded to the gallery is because of the requirement for the Photo of the Month.

This is true for me as well. The main reason I don't like using the gallery to upload my pics to is because it's a pain in the ass entering keywords over and over again since they can't be copied and pasted.

Also, I like the 10 pic attached rule. I find it overwhelming when members post lots and lots of pics in one post.

Photo Gallery & Photo Gallery Tutorial have been updated to be much more stoner friendly.

Please check them out and let us know what you think.

Clear your browser cache first on both desktop and mobile, to see the changes and performance benefits.

We're still tweaking things to perfection, but think most of the confusing structural and tutorial issues have been resolved.

We also restructured the hamburger menu on mobile, bringing the gallery closer to the top for easier access.

We could really use your feedback making sure everything works right and is easier to navigate.

We want to make the gallery so easy to navigate, our members will want to use it more than attachments.

It's so much more beneficial and convenient having all of your photos in one place to browse and share.

Max Size for Gallery Uploads: 20MB per photo and 40 photos per post.

Max Size for Attachments: 5MB per photo and 10 photos per post.

Please use "Attachments" for all non-420 related photos; like cars, landscapes and offtopic memes and keep them restricted to the Off Topic Forums.

We REALLY appreciate your feedback to help us get it dialed in perfectly:thanks:

I haven't read the new tutorial yet but I will and I will report back.

Thank you, Rob.

This is true for me as well. The main reason I don't like using the gallery to upload my pics to is because it's a pain in the ass entering keywords over and over again since they can't be copied and pasted.
What if you just posted titles for the photos, would that make it easier?

@Marc Ocean this is the second request for an easier way to copy/paste tags. Is there something we can do to make this work?

Also, I like the 10 pic attached rule. I find it overwhelming when members post lots and lots of pics in one post.
We tried lowering the number once and a bunch of members freaked out, so we left it as is to keep them happy and avoid the drama. I do agree 40 is too many, and I too dislike having to sift through 40 pics of the same plant, but sometimes you have to compromise when trying to make a large number of people happy. Most people don't use them all, and you can always choose not to follow people who abuse it.

@Marc Ocean this is the second request for an easier way to copy/paste tags. Is there something we can do to make this work?
Can you give me an example?

If we enable the mirroring feature, the attachment & its name from this post - Grateful Bud's Backyard Outdoor Grow - SFV OG

silicone-cigarette-filter-jpg

Will automatically be transferred over to the gallery.

if we enable the mirroring feature, the attachment & its name from this post
OK, we have a name for it now... "mirroring feature". cool.

How about having a checkbox that pops up when inserting an image into a thread reply. The pop-up would have a button for "This image is off topic". The pop-up would be on a short timer, so if the image is not off topic, the image goes in with mirroring. It would be up to the user to click the button. Some off topic images would come through to the gallery, but with flagging, those can be manually removed.

How about having a checkbox that pops up when inserting an image into a thread reply. The pop-up would have a button for "This image is off topic". The pop-up would be on a short timer, so if the image is not off topic, the image goes in with mirroring. It would be up to the user to click the button. Some off topic images would come through to the gallery, but with flagging, those can be manually removed.
Sounds too confusing for aging stoners and people not so tech friendly. If I was uploading a dozen photos a day, and never uploaded off topic photos, I'd be at war with that annoying pop up.

Sounds too confusing for aging stoners and people not so tech friendly. If I was uploading a dozen photos a day, and never uploaded off topic photos, I'd be at war with that annoying pop up.
You want people to put all photos in the gallery so that the site gets more hits? Well, you can't require people to do that manually – it's way too inconvenient. This implies the solution is a technical one. If the solution is a technical one, name another better technical way to implement the mirroring feature AND keep photos of the cat out of the gallery.

A variation would be to key the pop-up to the "Post reply" button... when they click post reply, the pop-up is activated and the reply can be expedited if they also click a button that says "This reply contains no off topic images". If they don't click that button, then either all the images in that reply don't go into the gallery, or another dialog can come up for the user to select which ones are off topic.

BTW, maybe you should poll the members...

Do you consider yourself a... (click all that apply)
[ ] Aging stoner
[ ] Middle-aged stoner
[ ] Young stoner
[ ] Not really a stoner
[ ] Not very technically inclined
[ ] Technically inclined enough
[ ] Techie

🤣 🤔

Photo Gallery & Photo Gallery Tutorial have been updated to be much more stoner friendly.

Went through the two links you mentioned. Pretty much a wide open playground with no rules now.

Sadly, no matter how large the photos that the users are allowed or how many they can post at one time or in one message it will not increase the quality of the actual picture. We will still see out of focus and off color purple, yellow and blue photos. Or just as often as before photos of something that has little to do with the question they are asking.
... all photos are resized upon upload.
What way? As in, is the pixel size along the sides reduced to lower the the MB of file size? Or the quality lowered a bit which can retain the pixel dimensions but lower the MB file size? Without going through than I have already looked at or submitting several of my own I get the feeling it is a matter of resizing or limiting each photo to no more than 1280 pixels on a side. Smaller is OK but not larger.

I think that no restrictions on the photos pretty much eliminates the Photos of the Month types of contests. It is harder for newcomers who only have a cell phone camera to get the same quality as someone with a half-way decent point and shoot camera. And the P&S member will find it hard to compete with the dSLR user.

Since you asked what we think maybe for the photo contests have a wide open level and everyone interested can submit. Then if they win (as in a first, second or third place) more than two or three in a year they are moved into a new category and only go up against others who have won within whatever time frame is used.

It does mean two different prize structures with basic prizes for entry level and special prizes for the advance level. A bit more record keeping involved but we are using computers so it might not be all that hard to let a database program keep track.

An entry level is pretty much what is happening now. When it comes to an advanced level for the frequent winners it should not confuse those particular members whether they are well aged stoners or young stoners; they will be dropping out soon enough and returned to the entry level.

I have seen a large fishing club introduce the two level competitions and in no time at all the members realized that it was fairer and made trying to get into the advanced side more fun than they thought it would; even for the ones who admitted they would never get there. And the ones who ended up in the advanced level quickly realized that they had to 'put up or shut up' but the competition was still enjoyable. Not enough members submitting to attempt anything along the lines of a modified 'Lewis scoring method'.

BTW, maybe you should poll the members...

Do you consider yourself a... (click all that apply)
[ ] Aging stoner
[ ] Middle-aged stoner
[ ] Young stoner
[ ] Not really a stoner
[ ] Not very technically inclined
[ ] Technically inclined enough
[ ] Techie
Way to many choices. Seriously, they would get confused by the time they get to the 4th choice ;) and then trying to relate their 'stoner status' to their ability to handle basic computer technology.;);).

Can you give me an example?

If we enable the mirroring feature, the attachment & its name from this post - Grateful Bud's Backyard Outdoor Grow - SFV OG

silicone-cigarette-filter-jpg

Will automatically be transferred over to the gallery.

In the photo below, the circled keywords each have to be entered individually for each photo you upload. If you're uploading 40 pics at one time then the keywords would have to be entered 40 times however many keywords you come up with and that's a lot. If there was a way to copy and paste the keywords like I do with the descriptions, I'd be more likely to upload my photos to the Gallery.

Photo Gallery Upload Tags.jpg

However, I'm not sure I want 420 Magazine to have all of my photos. Don't get me wrong. I'm all about promoting 420 Magazine to the world as it's a great website but it's like saving files in the Cloud. I only save my music to the Cloud but not my photos or files. I don't know what or where "the Cloud" is. I want to know that no one else can view them unless I want them to. So, there's that.

I like the new drop down menu list for the Gallery. Way clearer so thank you for that.

However, I'm not sure I want 420 Magazine to have all of my photos. Don't get me wrong. I'm all about promoting 420 Magazine to the world as it's a great website but it's like saving files in the Cloud. I only save my music to the Cloud but not my photos or files. I don't know what or where "the Cloud" is. I want to know that no one else can view them unless I want them to. So, there's that.
Nothing changes as far as who has access to them and we're not asking you for anything more than you already do. We are not on a cloud, we are on co-located physical servers in Canada. If you attached them to threads, we have them anyway, placing them in the gallery just gives you a place to find them when you want and for your friends and followers to view all your work in a gallery. Some people don't care to sift through fifty pages of chit chat to get to 20 photos. Just upload what you want to share with the community and keep the rest hidden in your vault for whatever else you want to use them for.

In the photo below, the circled keywords each have to be entered individually for each photo you upload. If you're uploading 40 pics at one time then the keywords would have to be entered 40 times however many keywords you come up with and that's a lot. If there was a way to copy and paste the keywords like I do with the descriptions, I'd be more likely to upload my photos to the Gallery.

Photo Gallery Upload Tags.jpg

I like the new drop down menu list for the Gallery. Way clearer so thank you for that.
Oh, okay.

That field isn't extremely important. It's better to use those same keywords in the title and description fields.

I have seen a large fishing club introduce the two level competitions and in no time at all the members realized that it was fairer and made trying to get into the advanced side more fun than they thought it would; even for the ones who admitted they would never get there. And the ones who ended up in the advanced level quickly realized that they had to 'put up or shut up' but the competition was still enjoyable. Not enough members submitting to attempt anything along the lines of a modified 'Lewis scoring method'.
This reminded me of the thought to have different contests for indoor vs. outdoor.

Well put Rob Well put:rofl:

Clear your browser cache first on both desktop and mobile, to see the changes and performance benefits.

We're still tweaking things to perfection, but think most of the confusing structural and tutorial issues have been resolved.

We also restructured the hamburger menu on mobile, bringing the gallery closer to the top for easier access.

We could really use your feedback making sure everything works right and is easier to navigate.

We want to make the gallery so easy to navigate, our members will want to use it more than attachments.

It's so much more beneficial and convenient having all of your photos in one place to browse and share.

Max Size for Gallery Uploads: 20MB per photo and 40 photos per post.

Max Size for Attachments: 5MB per photo and 10 photos per post.

Please use "Attachments" for all non-420 related photos; like cars, landscapes and offtopic memes and keep them restricted to the Off Topic Forums.

We REALLY appreciate your feedback to help us get it dialed in perfectly:thanks:
This is awesome . i need a job ...cheers!

Hello.

I've been trying to upload 420-related photos to the gallery while using attachments for non-420-related photos. However, I don't know what you want me to do if I want to post a non-420 photo on someone's profile page since attaching a photo is not an option.

Please advise.

Non-420 Photos on Profiles.jpg

Back
Top Bottom