Photos of Pre-Roots on Clone?

Please forgive if this question has already been asked somewhere on here. i looked and could not find anything relevant to my question.

I have been attempting to clone some of my plants over the last few months and so far I have been unsuccessful. While the cuttings never actually die, they never get any roots either. The first batch went for almost 3 weeks before I gave up and tossed them.

I followed the guide that was provided on this site to the letter "How to Clone a Cannabis Plant".

I am 7 days into another attempt using one of my Purple Erkle plants as the mother. The cuttings were all very healthy and cut with 3 complete nodes on each. (About 6" tall total) The bottom node was scraped and a 45 degree cut made about 1/4 inch below that. Dipped in Clonex and inserted into 1 inch Rockwool under humidity domes. Rockwool was soaked in cloning solution for a few hours prior. Everything was sterilized as directed in the 420 guide.

Today I very carefully broke one of the Rockwool cubes in half to have a peek at the bottom of the cutting. NOTHING! However, the stem was very pale white and looked kind of swollen, basically a lot larger than it originally was. Is this what a stem that is slowly forming roots would look like right before root hairs start to form?

I have searched the web for hours looking for any photos of stages of root growth in a cannabis cutting but to no avail. I just want to find out if anything positive is happening with these cuttings, or if they are destined to remain cuttings that live as long as I keep them under a dome with a moist Rockwool cube.

I am more than patient to leave them to it if they will eventually root, but with limited space in my seedling/cloning area, I don't want to keep them going if they are ultimately toast.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can offer. Some photos would be great since I am sure there are plenty of newbie growers out there like me that would love to see what some pre-root stems look like!

P.S> A large part of my growing plans revolve around ultimately being able to clone the plants I have been growing from seed and purchased clones over the last 6 months, and with my current cloning efforts so far a complete BUST, I am seriously considering laying out the cash for something like a TurboKloner 48 cloning machine so that I can get beyond this constant waiting and ultimate diappointment with my cloning efforts. I really need to learn to identify the difference between a stem that is starting to root and one that is basically dead in the water, no pun intended. ;)

Cheers. :)

GG7

That swelling you see is a very good indicator that the stem is about to put out roots, especially when the swollen area(s) are whitening. The way I root a cutting now is putting it in a glass of water for a week or two lol.

hey goose just a quick note on something I learned along time ago( thusly the name MR CLONER 420) and that is the MOTHER PLANTS condition and what you feed her and when will GREATLY affect your success rate for cloning.......... if you will follow your current process of cutting @ a 45 degree,scrap the base of the cutting etc. and BEFORE.............. you take your cuttings appox week feed with a HIGH PHOSPHATE fert such as SUPER TEA MIX GREEN LABEL 5-5-1 that has 6% nitrogen and 6% PHOSPHATE and what does this do you ask? I use this as a first food for my new rooted clones(FYI very successfully NO BURNING) but more importantly use it on my mothers BEFORE taking the cuttings. The plant needs phosphate for blooming and for root making.................. this could be your problem, I have taken cuttings without the pre feeding without success...... fed with the high phosphate fert and BOOOOOOOM let there be roots.... it works and will GREATLY improve your odds of success...... REMEMBER.......TAKE CLONES FROM BOTTOM ONE THIRD of MOTHER PLANT -CLEAN-WARM 75/78 :peace:degrees-PATIENCE-- KEEP THE CLONES MISTED Just try this and let me know how it works for you... I have gotten rather proficient at cloning thru my years of experience and will be happy to share any of my knowledge with you. :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Good Luck Stay safe a good growin

M rCloner420:goodluck:

Thanks so much for the great info you guys! I am encouraged that the stems of these cuttings may indeed be on the verge of making roots! :)

Great advice on the mother plant nutes Cloner420! I never thought of that or considered this could have such an impact. Little is mentioned about the mother plant nute levels in the cloning literature, but it sure does make sense!

I've got a bunch of different types of liquid plant food around here. I will see if I have anything that is 5-5-1. I've got a bunch that have much higher values in those areas but not sure if anything I have is literally 5-5-1.

Any other brand names of liquid plant food that fit that description?

Will definitely keep you posted on how things go and if I have more questions down the road I will definitely post them right here.

Thanks again and any additional input is of course welcome! :)

Cheers.

[]GG7

UPDATE:

I checked with three local nursuries and none of them have ever heard of that Super Tea Mix Green Label you mentioned and had nothing from any other company with a 5-5-1 ratio. Found it online at Home Harvest , but the shipping cost was almost the same as the price of the product, basically doubling the price of the purchase. 40 bucks for a 2 lb bag? That ain't going to happen. :(

Closest I could get locally was a bottle of FoxFarm "Grow Big" 6-4-4. The nursury manager at our biggest local shop said that 6-4-4 was pretty close and should accomplish the same goal as far as the plant is concerned.

What do you think of using 6-4-4 instead? Where do you get your 5-5-1 from if I may ask?

Thanks in advance.

GG7 :)

Well...I checked another one of my cuttings last night and the stem was starting to rot with mold and slime. :(

After thinking it over and doing a little more research I decided to go ahead and buy myself a TurboKlone 48 cloning machine. I can easily afford it and would like to put an end to all the frustration and diappointment. Since the company that makes this product is right next door in Reno Nevada, I will have it today! :cheer:

So... I am on to a new adventure and will post my results here as soon as I have something to report. I still plan to heed the advice MrClone420 provided here and will try to get the mother plants into better cloning condition before I start taking cuttings.

Thanks again for your help!

UPDATE:

I checked with three local nursuries and none of them have ever heard of that Super Tea Mix Green Label you mentioned and had nothing from any other company with a 5-5-1 ratio. Found it online at Home Harvest , but the shipping cost was almost the same as the price of the product, basically doubling the price of the purchase. 40 bucks for a 2 lb bag? That ain't going to happen. :(

Closest I could get locally was a bottle of FoxFarm "Grow Big" 6-4-4. The nursury manager at our biggest local shop said that 6-4-4 was pretty close and should accomplish the same goal as far as the plant is concerned.

What do you think of using 6-4-4 instead? Where do you get your 5-5-1 from if I may ask?

Thanks in advance.

GG7 :)
ever since I heard Dr. Bruce Bugsby say they use the same nutrient mix for cannabis as for all other plants they research to great results and apparently they use a 20-10-20 with a good amount of vermiculite for silica. I realized cannabis isn't all that fussy about nutrients. just make sure it has enough of the right ones. genetics are the biggest factor over anything else when it comes to sick buds. only thing i stick to these days is usually not over 1100 ppm. foliar feed silica. calmag a must in flower. beneficials are good, but not a must, because good fungus in the root zone keeps away bad fungus in the root zone. same with bacteria. but TLDR; 6-4-4 should be fine, none of those values are to high.
brucvey boy talking about their soil mix (50/50 peat/vermiculite + dolomite lime powder + Gypsum)

Back
Top Bottom