Piña's 2020 Diary 3rd Journal

What else have I been doing wrong? Seriously what do you want to know? All help greatfully received.

you don't need multiple waterings per day, except if your res is so far down it won't wick to the roots...

every other or every third day is sufficient if it's wicking to the roots..

you need to feed every single watering ... sort of ..

you use AN, which builds up terrible. i ran a feed/feed/water sched to keep ahead of it. can also run f/f/f/w if plants like it more ...

couple other things... kinda tied up right now, may get back... :)

The more often the feeding, the lower the concentration of the fertigation solution should be.

For example, I like to fertigate daily, so I never have to exceed 4g/gal of MegaCrop during veg. Whereas those feeding less often have gone as high as 6 to 6.5g/gal.

I have a different opinion than bluter regarding interspersing a plain watering (no fertilizer) into the regimen. In nature, plants don’t have to deal with radical changes in nutrient concentrations. But if it works for you...

I have a different opinion than bluter regarding interspersing a plain watering (no fertilizer) into the regimen. In nature, plants don’t have to deal with radical changes in nutrient concentrations. But if it works for you...

lowering the concentration and going f/f/f is good as well. did not work in AN i found. everything was loads happier on a f/f/w.

i never ran it dead tho. i ran all the amendments and flower additives on the water side. there was always cal-mag in the background as well..

edit: i should add that since running MC i am i on f/f/f

Cheers for the advice

I was only doing multiple waterings whilst the poor bastards were trying to fight their way out of their cardboard prison. Think I'll need to continue until the roots hit the bottom.

As for watering schedule going forward, we'll be seeing how it goes. I'm leaning towards more often at a lower strength. With plain water flush before every watering.

The reservoir in these pot isn't huge, so when/if these plants get going I can see regular watering being needed.

Also these are going to be indoor/outdoor plants. When the good weather comes back.

:Namaste:

I got nothing plant-wise, but I do have good wishes to Mrs P for a speedy recovery...nagging included!

On the light, if you're powering something similar to Samsung strips, almost all the heat will come from the driver, so a huge heat sink may not be needed. I have 13 strips that max out at 380 wall watts, and at 320w (which is where I max them out) you can put your hand on the aluminum U channels they're taped to.
20181215_143906ed.jpg

Good Morning all,
Hope everything is good, green, and well in your worlds.

First up thanks for the good wishes. Mrs P is a lot better, no medicine needed, and she's getting back to normal.

I'm treating it as a valuable lesson learnt. Need to take this Covid 19 stuff even more seriously in this household. I may not be in a high risk demographic, but because of underlying health issues, my better half is. Scary times.

Mrs P has been set up to work from home, so she's all good. I'm now off work until Monday, because she's been ill. That just feels weird.

Shed that's a great looking light. If I needed to make a new light for myself I'd go with strips all the way.

I didn't consider them for my Uncles because it will need to be posted. I figured the finished footprint would be too large, fragile and maybe even too heavy to post. Plus the heatsinks were free, so I went with COB's

I think I'm going to be looking at roughly half your total heat output, but from just 2 single points. I'm fairly sure my recycled heatsinks could handle that with a fan fitted, but really for simplicity I want them to cope without.

That's the beauty of the strips, the diodes are so spread out, cooling is less of an issue.

So, while Mrs P is making a speedy recovery, my long suffering plants aren't.

IMGP1236.JPG

At least I know the roots are free, just waiting for them to bounce back. I don't like the idea of putting them out of their misery, they're trying so hard. I can give them a few more days.

Thanks for stopping by, stay well

Good morning! I suspect your morning is as rainy as mine. My poor plants on the balcony are getting drenched...

You and your misses be careful. It's bad enough what I've seen the virus do to 100% healthy people.

Your plants look like they'll be fine. I think you need to water frequently until the roots reach the reservoir. You can't over water in perlite, so no need to worry about water too often.

Nick it's pissing down, bring the poor things in.

I have no concerns about over watering, I've seen and man handled the roots. They need all the help they can get. I wouldn't be so bothered if they weren't autos.

The Mrs is on lock down, she can work from home, and has no need to go out. It's on me to be careful, when out and about.

At least the social distancing measures are being taken seriously around these parts.

stay well

Were those your only Auto seeds? With Autos, a faulty start can result in very poor yield, or even a stunted budsicle. If you have them, it might be a good idea to start a couple more seeds as backups.

They're not stunted budsicles, they're called spog®'s ;)

Yeah I know yield is going to be screwed with such a funky start. I'd like to get them through it if at all possible. I'm treating it as an opportunity to learn.

I have more seeds, and will be starting one more later this week. Straight into perlite, no cardboard in sight. What can go wrong this time, see it here first. :)

The plan for the summer is to try and have 4 plants on the go, with a 3-4 week gap between each. Not sure if I'll pull it off, but going to try.

Hey all,
Thought it was time I posted an update on my victims. I'm now down to one.

She was the strongest of the two, and despite my best efforts, wants to get to the finish line. As she's an auto I realise she's not going to perform to her full potential, but I couldn't bring myself to cull both.

I'm popping a replacement seed, so now I'm looking for a new and interesting ways to balls it up. There will be no cardboard involved this time.

This is the pot I'm starting with, about a pint/500ml in size

Starting in paper towel, then into here with perlite only. Water regular with weak nutes, and then as needed. Up pot when roots are established 3wks or so.

What can go wrong this time :D

Your survivor looks like a fighter. I would have a hard time tossing her too.

3 weeks might be too long for an Auto in a 500ml cup.. May I suggest that you try root riots, and just set it into the perlite once you see roots? Or just plant the sprouted seed directly into the perlite (what I do).

Sorry for the loss mate, but the new one will have a much better chance. Can I get you to reconsider putting the seed directly in perlite once popped? I think pure perlite would kill a new born. Better with a starter plug of some kind, Jiffy or whatever, or rock wool.

Thanks for the reassurance Felipe. I'm sure I'd seen people go straight into perlite in the Hempy thread.

Having said that it wouldn't be my first choice. I think I'd rather be using some sort of plug, but I haven't got any. Sourcing some at the moment's not going to be quick or easy. So....

It's not like I haven't got the time to stay on top of watering at the moment. :D

I understand. But there’s really nothing to it.

I just boiled some used perlite so I can start some tomato and pepper seeds. It’s nice not having to try to get soil, plugs, etc. I will share a photo after they sprout (it will probably look a lot like the one above from last year :laughtwo:)

Thanks Shed! I do my transplant differently. I wait until the roots have populated the perlite in the solo cup to the point that I can just pull the cup off. The plant is stronger then, and I don’t have to worry about damaging the young, tender tap root and early fine hair roots.

Afternoon all,
Cheers for all the links, I've had a good look, let's see if I can pull off a perlite start then. :)

But first the survivor

IMGP1268.JPG

I think plant No1 is out of the woods. Today is Day 27, so she's for been stunted for sure, but hopefully the only way is up now. After her shaky start I just want to get her to finish. I don't care if it's one lonely bud.

My next victim, plant No2 has just popped.

IMGP1269.JPGIMGP1273.JPG

Started in paper towel, so not strictly a true perlite start. Then transferred painlessly (for me anyway) to perlite.

This could be either a Dark Devil, Red Devil, or there's an outside chance of it being a Blueberry. Yep I got some seeds muddled.

This is the setup I'm using. Before and after the transfer.

IMGP1271.JPGIMGP1275.JPG

She'll be watered a little, and often. Using a bit less than quarter strength nutes. The nutes have been premixed, and I'm leaving them in the dome to help with humidity. This also means they'll be at a nice temp for the babe when I use them.

If she gets her head above the perlite, I'll negotiate a temporary space in the kitchen where I can rig up a veg light.

Fingers crossed this one will progress as expected. If not I have a few more muddled seeds to practise with, and some plugs are on the way :D

Hope everyone's managing to stay entertained, and more importantly WELL

Back
Top Bottom