Picking the right soil(less) for first grow - Suggestions Please?

sooner

So I am in the process of gathering all my tools for my first indoor grow in many years. I have been reading a great deal of journals and other posts here on 420 to refresh my knowledge from years ago (This place rocks and there is no way I would succeed with out it). A lot has changed and I am even going to be using LEDs due to my small space and the need to keep temps low.

The one thing I am still struggling with is choosing my soil (or soilless). I really want to run Growology based on what I have seen in the journals and the great results ColoradoHigh has been getting. The 3 Step system seems to be fairly simple and I am looking to KISS on this first run.

Here is what I have in the plans:

2 X 2.5 X 6ft (or 7ft with extension) Gorilla Grow Tent

TopLed - 3 X 96 Reflector Light with Grow and Bloom switch. All the positive reviews in here led me to choose this light....and what a deal at $166. Anyone think I need to supplement? I plan to only grow two plants in this tent and really need to maximize my yield, so I am thinking five gallon smart pots and really want to make sure they are not light starved.

White Widow Feminized - From BuyDutchSeeds

Soler & Palau TD-100X inline fan pulling through a Phresh carbon filter exhausted air will be sent into garage from the basement closet area.

Medium???? - So given the idea of running the chemical ferts from Growology....it seems like going with Organic Roots or Slacker would be a waste of money since I would be eventually killing all the living aspects of the soil with Step 2 and 3 of Growology. I really like the makeup of the Slacker Aeration formula but I have concerns with running the Growology over the organic amendments. Would I be better served with a total neutral base? Maybe Sunshine or Promix? If I do decide to go with Slacker, I will just go with EarthJuice for my feedings....but I feel that the Organic approach may be better for me after I get a few grows under my belt. The Growology really does seem to give me confidence based on what I have seen.

I am close to getting things kicked off, but I want to make sure I have done my homework and have a solid plan going in. Thanks in advance for any advice. This community is loaded with knowledge!

My local grow shop has the FF line as well....so i would be open to using a mix of light warrior and Ocean Forest if anyone thinks this will be a good learning medium to use with Growology.

Welcome to 420 sooner.

I am a fan of soil-less myself, so that is my vote/recommendation. Plus it fits your K.I.S.S. methodology. You may want to check out KingJohnC's journals I believe he suggests one of the soil-less mediums you are considering, partially because it has mycorrhizae in it.

Thanks labexperiment......I checked out KingJohn's grows. You are right, a lot to learn from him for sure. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Peyton. I will check out the Hippy Pots for sure.

+1 vote for Perlite/Hempy. I just started my first. Link in signature.

/Obi

Thanks obi one and Jimmy......I have been doing some research on the hempy bucket and they are a little intimidating I must say (I know they are simple in design). For some reason, I just get a better feeling about staying closer to soil for my first run. I am leaning towards running with the slacker aeration formula and going with earth juice and maybe some bat guano tea from time to time. I like the idea of staying away form chemicals if i can, so I may abandon my idea to run Growology. At least until they get their organic line out ;-)

Back
Top Bottom