Pink's Cloning Experiment

Pinktiger777

Dear readers: I'm making a separate journal here for my cloning experiment. If I fail, I can sprout seeds instead, but here is what I have done, so far:
I have a small veg tent that I used the first time, as a seed sprouting tent and veg, in DWC. The DWC is a 5 gallon unit that uses net cups.
In the cloning experiment, I filled the DWC unit with water that I Ph-corrected to 5.78. I also have put Rapid Start in the water, and enzymes.
I prepared eight clones, plus a handful I put in a beaker with treated water in the tent, in case one of the clones dies, etc.

I used rock wool cubes in six of the net pots, which are two-inch net pots. I put rapid rooters in the other two. All pots are closed with collars I purchased. These are then placed in larger net pots that touch the water below, but are not submerged in water. Today they were still alive! So let's hope.
The lighting is a 300 watt LED with dim switches. I have the bloom and veg on 40 percent power for now. 18/6 on the lights.

Forgot to mention I soaked the rock wool and the rapid rooters in ph corrected water plus rapid start. And the temp is staying at 75 f

Nice and clean. Looks good

Everything still looks good, with the exception of two plants with yellowing leaves. I'll post pics tomorrow - They are asleep now and I just got home from the big city, shopping. (I've been home awhile - had to go out on the porch first, if you get my drift. LOL)

I keep forgetting to mention that these clones were taken the third week of flower. Buds are on these. As a result, the plants, when they begin to root, will have to go through a revegging cycle. I am experienced with this, as it happened unfortunately to my first grow. Sad. It will be interesting to see these new plants go through it. I hope they all make it. Keep your fingers crossed, and watch this space.

Today I swapped out two clones for extra ones I had in my beaker in the tent. I removed the dying clones and replaced them with fresh ones - I recut them and dabbed clonex on the ends, and put them in the media. PH is staying good - it was almost at 6 so I added 10 ml of ph down to get it to 5.8.

Update on the clones: They are still alive but don't look all that good. I peeked and there are tiny little root like hairs on the stems, but no real roots. At this stage, we will be waiting for next July.
OK, I know I'm impatient. But I'm giving them three more days and then I will sow seed.

Here's a photo: One or two look dead but aren't really. Most have yellowed. I have the light down pretty much, no bloom, 40 percent veg.

Here's a little parody I wrote, expecting this morning to clean up the small tent, throw away the clones that didn't root.

1540231432455.png

However, instead of throwing the clones out this morning I found roots. Lots of them. I have nine viable clones, and took two and put in one net pot, because I only have eight spots.
It made me feel really good to know that this experiment is not over yet! The plants should take off now. I adjusted the PH, added water, added seedling nutes (according to GH schedule), and turned the lights up just a hair. All the clones have new leaves sprouting, and it will look funny for awhile because they are revegging (I took clones after the plants were already in flower.)
One thing I didn't do, is mark the clones as either Sour D or White Widow X Big Bud. Why? Because I can't see that much difference in the way the plants look. So we know we have one or the other! LOL.

So my hopes of a SOG next grow are not dashed. I plan to let these veg out in the small tent for at least three weeks, at least until my big tent finishes and I dry the harvest in the big tent (which will be necessary. I'm amazed at the growth.)
My DH is excited even, because he will be lowering the screen for me to do the SOG. It is too high now for that.

Roots are getting bigger. Plants still looking terrible, but the roots are alive so I'm hoping for some results soon in growth.
If readers aren't commenting because they think I'm crazy for doing this or I'm doing it "wrong," please don't hesitate to comment. I appreciate all tips and help.

I keep forgetting to mention that these clones were taken the third week of flower. Buds are on these. As a result, the plants, when they begin to root, will have to go through a revegging cycle. I am experienced with this, as it happened unfortunately to my first grow. Sad.
Don't be sad! Nothing produces bud sites like a well-trained monstercrop clone!
Here's a little parody I wrote
Nicely done :). I'll be singing that all day now.
However, instead of throwing the clones out this morning I found roots.
:yahoo: Some strains take longer than others. My first AK-47 rooted in the cloninator in 9 days. My first Sour G was closer to three weeks.
Plants still looking terrible, but the roots are alive so I'm hoping for some results soon in growth.
If they have roots, they'll start growing. Patience is a virtue!

:bravo:

Thanks, Shed! I appreciate your support. This site is cool - I almost feel as though we are neighbors here, comparing our work. I'm going to spend some time this afternoon reading more journals and posts, because I learn so much from it.
The clones are rooted and growing. I have seven at the moment. One is kind of sketchy - see the one in the far right upper hand? The stem is kind of messed up. But it has roots! Should I toss?

Today I added some nutes to the water, with ppm at 650 now. I used my most recent nutrient mix, adjusted for growing cycle: (all are GH except where noted) -
  • Flora Micro
  • Flora Bloom
  • Floral Gro
  • Liquid Kool Bloom
  • Flora Nectar
  • Flora Blend
  • Diamond Nectar
  • Armor Si
  • Z enzymes Part one and two
  • Great White Mycorrhizae

I'm not a DWC person but I would keep the nutes pretty low until I see solid growth, like water plus 200. Save the full-strength nutes for fully growing plants is how I do it with clones (in soil). I've got clones in solo cups packed with roots and I'm giving them ¼ strength nutes.

And I wouldn't toss anything at this stage. When you're picking your faves because you're running short on space, it may be on your "keep" list!

Back
Top Bottom