Pink's New Grow Room: Perpetual Fun and Games

I'm almost bored here. Not having to do a lot.
Upper 60s over the weekend and 73º on Monday!
Shut up. You aren't allowed to do that. Go to confession or something. At least, please smudge yourself.
Geesh.

Would you like to see some pictures? I trimmed back the Mom plants, and you should see the clones.
Also the Flowering Tent.

Sorry! If it will make you feel any better I can post a screenshot of my property taxes. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Nice trim on the moms and loads of clones. :welldone:
Nah. That’s OK. My husband is a tax accountant and bookkeeper so I’m sick of taxes. I
lived in San Francisco once and in Marin, and the weather was perfect for me. So yes,I am jealous but not really.

Pests can be a real problem if you are not on it immediately. I used to grow outdoors in Southern CA and always struggled with one pest or another.

I just moved to the mid-west and started my first aero setup in my basement and have made it through the whole grow with not one pest. I hope I don't jinx myself ...with no dirt, it virtually eliminated bugs so it made all the extra work totally worth it.

Are you using any kind of automation or manually checking everything?

I enjoyed reading through, keep it up - lots of good info...
How is it growing in a basement? Does the smell travel up to the main house or do you scrub it well?
And do you vent the room to outside or contain the atmosphere and smell in there? Trying to figure out how discreet a basement grow can be lol

How is it growing in a basement? Does the smell travel up to the main house or do you scrub it well?
And do you vent the room to outside or contain the atmosphere and smell in there? Trying to figure out how discreet a basement grow can be lol
Yeah. When I began it was a small tent under the stairs. When we were ripe, it was quite smelly. The new large tent really caused problems with heat and humidity as well as smell. So we very quickly vented the large tent out The window. Now no smell or heat and humidity. The other two small tents never flower, and their exhaust goes into the room and exits through the large tent to outside. All air is scrubbed with carbon filters. And I live in town.

I was very limited in terms of space so that is where this whole pocket grow concept got traction. I have not employed any type of odor control and the room is pretty good about leaks. Being surrounded by concrete gives me some much needed temperature stability. Northern lights doesn't appear to be too smelly but for awhile there I was feeling nauseous but when she started ripening, it turned sweet but not terrible. I have had people come to the house and say they can smell it but I am not worried hiding it. I have heard some of the odor solutions work well but there are no secrets at my house.

I do not pull or push fresh air from outside. I will flush the room with fresh air from my garage every couple weeks but since I am supplementing with CO2 I don't open it up much...

The best part of this grow has been the wonderful experience of no bugs, not one! This alone serves to validate the extra work of the additional maintenance aero technology requires. I still have nightmares from previous battles with outdoor pests so this made all the difference for me...

In my case, this is really about getting the best results in the smallest possible area. My entire setup has a very small footprint; only one plant. My complete grow area utilized is 54 ft³ and my equipment takes up about 6 ft³. I will say that when I first started this grow, I kept the tent closed but discovered quickly that environmental conditions are much easier to control with more volume so I use my entire room (10x12) as a lung room. This was a huge improvement so I leave the tent open now...

I am happy with the results for a first run, very dense and I remember seeing someone on this forum with a great quote in their signature:

"Big roots = more fruit" (or something like that)

I had to laugh but think they are on to something... My next grow will focus more on the underground to see if I can make some improvements with the current setup. I have not seen too many other pics of NL with this much density and have to attribute that to the nice root structure. I have heard people mention having more plants share the space but I tend to gravitate to the camp of let one plant have all the resources and try to maximize it .vs trying to share resources. Who knows where the truth is?

My grow is legal, but my husband is very nervous about people knowing. He does bookkeeping and accounting for many government entities and influential types - at least for this little neck of the woods. LOL. I'm more nervous about people getting an idea they can come over and help themselves.
If they knew I had a couple of pounds of sensimilla bud, they might want to steal it.
@ivumlow, I love the way hydroponics grows weed. It's faster and the power of the plants is amazing.
As for roots, yes it is true, I believe, that big roots grow big plants and big buds. But to get that you have to allow the plants time to grow big. I just flipped to 12/12 and these plants were transplanted to the big tent on Dec. 1, 2020.

@ivumlow, I love the way hydroponics grows weed. It's faster and the power of the plants is amazing.
As for roots, yes it is true, I believe, that big roots grow big plants and big buds. But to get that you have to allow the plants time to grow big. I just flipped to 12/12 and these plants were transplanted to the big tent on Dec. 1, 2020.

I hear you, we have a cultivation license here as well but try not to talk about it much. If they read 420Magazine, that is fine but we still try to fly low... I am pretty close to you on timing; my current grow sprouted on Nov 4th so I am at the end of my grow and getting more excited every day. I am monitoring trich's daily now but think I still have a week or two left.

I am theorizing that the density of the plant could be a result of the root structure. My plant is a small Indica (but I think pretty average height (basically 3x3x3) for the strain) and an autoflower to boot so i never expected to get a large plant but do see an unusual density so my best guess is the root structure?

Unfortunately, my roots bottomed out on me a long time ago so I believe I lost my true aeroponic effectiveness to a degree and transitioned towards the DWC direction from that point on. I have already addressed that and will have a completely new root chamber design for the next grow and will be putting much more focus on the roots to see if there is any difference.

I hear you, we have a cultivation license here as well but try not to talk about it much. If they read 420Magazine, that is fine but we still try to fly low... I am pretty close to you on timing; my current grow sprouted on Nov 4th so I am at the end of my grow and getting more excited every day. I am monitoring trich's daily now but think I still have a week or two left.

I am theorizing that the density of the plant could be a result of the root structure. My plant is a small Indica (but I think pretty average height (basically 3x3x3) for the strain) and an autoflower to boot so i never expected to get a large plant but do see an unusual density so my best guess is the root structure?

Unfortunately, my roots bottomed out on me a long time ago so I believe I lost my true aeroponic effectiveness to a degree and transitioned towards the DWC direction from that point on. I have already addressed that and will have a completely new root chamber design for the next grow and will be putting much more focus on the roots to see if there is any difference.
Im kind of curious to how you plan to mitigate the root bottoming out problem

Those were the roots of my warlock last year, as you can see its 1m tall, i think even if i had a 2m deep tote the roots would eventually reach the bottom.

20200801_193301.jpg

I think that even if your roots reach the bottom as long as they are not sitting completely in water they still take advantage of aeroponic roots.
As you can see here my roots had bottomed out a while ago but i still have aeroponic roots.
20200530_110717.jpg

I am in a slightly unique situation whereas my setup is geared more towards a pocket grow; centered around small autoflower stains. My goal is to always grow one small plant and try to be as efficient as possible it, targeting the best qualuty/yield for a small space. Even with a raised chamber (to facilitate drainage), I only used 2/3rds of my tent so I have some verticIe capitol to spend space wise. I believe the shortened veg time of autos will help with this effort so I am planning to experiment with a wider diameter, deeper chamber that does not have a flat bottom (to avoid sedimentary accumulation) and strategic nozzle placement. I am hoping this will help push the bottoming problem further into the later phases of the life cycle where the plant starts to slow down. This is just a concept but believe I can be more efficient on the next run with a few changes. I also plan to get a timer that goes down to 1s on, my current one stops at 5s..

I am planning to think of my next grow in terms of a 50/50 focus; for both the top and bottom of the plant. But reviewing my first run, I can see where I gave 3/4's of my focus to the top and only 1/4 to the bottom. All theory ATM and i have a couple of proprietary ideas I may tinker with; every good dish needs a secret sauce... but that will be one of the things I am hoping to experiment with.

Yeah maybe auto since they have a shorter life would be able to have a smaller root system, i also noticed from my previous grow where i had tangerine dream / warlock / purple bud, that they dont have the same root system density depending of the strain, for example my purple bud has the smallest root system but was my tallest plant.
If you are looking for a cheap timer that goes to 1 second i use these guys
Inkbird timer

Yeah maybe auto since they have a shorter life would be able to have a smaller root system, i also noticed from my previous grow where i had tangerine dream / warlock / purple bud, that they dont have the same root system density depending of the strain, for example my purple bud has the smallest root system but was my tallest plant.
If you are looking for a cheap timer that goes to 1 second i use these guys
Inkbird timer

Thanks, just order it! I would love to see a picture of your application? The dimensions are little large in the specs?

Sorry for the hijack Pink...

Ok, that's great. Their specs were confusing on dimensions. I can't wait for it to arrive, many thanks!
Any time! I love it.

Im kind of curious to how you plan to mitigate the root bottoming out problem

Those were the roots of my warlock last year, as you can see its 1m tall, i think even if i had a 2m deep tote the roots would eventually reach the bottom.

20200801_193301.jpg

I think that even if your roots reach the bottom as long as they are not sitting completely in water they still take advantage of aeroponic roots.
As you can see here my roots had bottomed out a while ago but i still have aeroponic roots.
20200530_110717.jpg
I use 7 gallon fabric pots in my ebb and flow setup. The fabric pots do a good job of air pruning the roots. I don't think it is so much a volume thing as it is healthy roots and good aeration and nutrients. And I'm beginning to see that light has a huge effect on the size of the plants and the herb.

Update Time
The flowering tent has burst into bloom. In the last two days the pistils have increased, turning white and developing into buds. And so far, there doesn't seem to be a lot of extra foliage. Unfortunately, the pictures don't really show that. However, one way to see is the daylight at the bottom of the tent for all the canopy. (@InTheShed, please look at the photos and see if I need to be trimming more. Thanks!)

I was diligent in removing all foliage below the bottom net, and in arranging the branches to float on top of the net and grow up from there. The canopy has many, many large fan leaves, but they are doing their job and bud building. Two days ago I increased the light slightly, and the plants seem to like it. There's no meter on the light; I have to guess. I have a light meter, and I will check the actual numbers and reveal them in a future post.

I have had to trim the mothers more, because they are growing too fast; and after two weeks of waiting and no roots, I changed the clones again. I'm waiting for roots. If I don't get them, I'm going to up pot my mothers, except for the Harlequin, and grow them. I'm working with clone-resistant plants. I'm kind of done with these anyway, and want to sprout some other seeds.

OK, so there's where I am. I think these will finish around the third week in April. Or whenever. No rush.

Sorry for the delay...been uncommonly busy!
please look at the photos and see if I need to be trimming more. Thanks!)
After stretch finished (~21 days post flip) I would take off a lot of that! I would take off any leaves completely blocked from the light as well as any buds that aren't on the top third of each branch, leaving the adjoining fan leaf. Then I'd go back to make sure I had airflow.

But then I'm #nolarf!
I have a light meter, and I will check the actual numbers
I'd recommend using it whenever you adjust the lights, or when the plants have grown a few inches closer. I'm unaware of a light with a built-in meter, but it wouldn't tell you what's happening at the tops of the plants anyway.
I'm kind of done with these anyway, and want to sprout some other seeds.
Dump 'em! I was keeping mothers and finally threw them out because I had so many other varieties to grow. I only kept the Candida (for CBD) like you're hanging on to the Harley.

Back
Top Bottom