Pink's New Grow Room: Perpetual Fun and Games

Report on New Grow:
Scraggly, Gnatty and Sick Mothers Become Beautiful
Or, Can These Mothers Be Saved?

Let's begin with a photo essay. First, I took the mother plants from the small tent. There were five of them. I had an Expert Haze, a Fire OG, a Gorilla Glue, a Skywalker Ghost Triangle Kush, and a Harlequin. They were in terrible shape.

They were covered in gnats. My attempts to rid the tent of the pests were failures. So I knew I would be dealing with that; I considered it a challenge. So I transplanted them into 10-gallon pots with buffered perlite and coco that I had hydrated using rain water soaked with mosquito bits for several days. And I covered the tops with a layer of hydroton.
My theory was that if I could stop the gnats from laying eggs in the substrate, the gnats would die.

After transplant, I trimmed them down to eliminate all the straggly leaves that resulted from crowding in the smaller tent.

In a few days, they grew and started showing strength, but they weren't quite right. And the gnats were still there. So, I decided to get aggressive, and applied chemotherapy: H2O2, hydrogen peroxide, poured over the hydroton to kill gnat larvae inside the substrate. I knew I was taking a chance.

I also covered the hydroton with panda film I cut out myself from sheets. I'm not a good cutter. Don't laugh.

The gnats are finally receding, but Harley died. I'm not surprised: the chemo was too much. As you can see, now I have a web cam and this is the way they look right now.

Sorry about the Harlequin but the rest look good! How long had you left the mothers unattended in the small tent?

Next time you need to get rid of fungus gnats, use mosquito bits dissolved in water for a few days. Use that water to mix nutes and replace the water you take out. That allows the bacteria to multiply again, and you keep using the water for your plants. The larvae die, never to return.

Eventually you will need to add more bits, but you can probably go at least a couple of weeks before starting the bucket over again.

Those plants were close to a year old.
I’ll discuss the gnats more in the next post.

Update time!
Finally, after nearly a month and a half, I have the plants under control. I've been busy in the tent, but just as busy in my personal life (all is good!!), so I have been more lax at reporting. But here we are. Taken today:

Our youngest daughter is engaged to a great tech guy, so we are getting our house smarter. We started with a web cam in the tent. It's fun to check on my tent while hundreds of miles away (or thousands).

The gnats have been finally driven down. All four plants have great root systems now, and are branching out. I have been diligently trimming under the canopy and encouraging plants to grow horizontal. I'm anticipating that we will go into flower about the end of July, with a late September or early October harvest.

@InTheShed, you asked me once what the lumen meter read. I believe it is 280. (280,000 lux?) I'm not good at numbers. Sorry.

Terrific recovery on those plants Pink! They look like a million bucks now. :thumb:
Those plants were close to a year old.
Thanks, but that wasn't my question! :cheesygrinsmiley: What I really wanted to know was:
How long had you left the mothers unattended
I've had year-old mothers (here's one about 10 months old), but they get trimmed every few weeks and root pruned every 6 months or so. Yours looked like they hadn't been touched in a long time, which is why I asked.
Our youngest daughter is engaged to a great tech guy
㊗️ An excellent choice!
It's fun to check on my tent while hundreds of miles away (or thousands).
Traveling sounds like it's back on the table...nice!
The gnats have been finally driven down.
:welldone:
I believe it is 280. (280,000 lux?)
Can't be 280,000 but it could be 28,000 if the meter says x100 on it (that's 280 and two extra 0's).

Terrific recovery on those plants Pink! They look like a million bucks now. :thumb:

Thanks, but that wasn't my question! :cheesygrinsmiley: What I really wanted to know was:

I've had year-old mothers (here's one about 10 months old), but they get trimmed every few weeks and root pruned every 6 months or so. Yours looked like they hadn't been touched in a long time, which is why I asked.

㊗️ An excellent choice!

Traveling sounds like it's back on the table...nice!

:welldone:

Can't be 280,000 but it could be 28,000 if the meter says x100 on it (that's 280 and two extra 0's).
OK, then 28,000. LOL. Like I said, numbers are not my thing.
The mothers were not really unattended. I trimmed them constantly. The roots, no. But the tops and sides, yes.
As for traveling, we are starting out slow. Went to Hot Springs Ar. a few weeks ago for a long weekend. And we are going to Vegas in July.
Thanks for the Kudos on the plants. I have found that they are hard to kill. LOL. And they usually bounce back well after mistreatment. Thanks for that!

@InTheShed, your 10-month old mom looks great. Mine were stymied by the tent size. Don't you grow in soil?
Hydro is different in so many ways. For example, I have to be careful about using BT in the Res. I keep it away from there because it gets messy.

I’m still here, and growing. I’ve just been so busy. I decided to go back to work in real estate. Things got busy very quickly and I’m not having time to post. I’ll post something good in a day or two and show you what I’ve been up to.

Update and pictures!
I'm still growing in a 5 X 5 tent and a 2 X 2.5 tent, but I'm doing it a little differently.
I got tired of hauling around large buckets of coco coir and hydroton. So I decided to try going with grow blocks and slabs. The best thing about this is the weight factor; I can literally move my plants around for their best growth and development.
The focus has been on developing a growing environment that would allow me to grow any strain. I'm not able to fulfill my wishes. Why? Because Indicas and Sativas are different animals. As I'm playing around with the different strains I have available (I bought a bunch of seeds last year and now I'm going through them,) I've noticed some notable differences between indica and sativa strains. Indicas lend themselves well to my tortured scrogging methods and will bonsai to a point so they stay in their footprint. Sativas break rather than bend. They are scraggly where indicas are lush and full.
But I love sativas to smoke. So, I'm persisting.

What's in my tents?

The small tent has a CBD Bomb plant in it. Supposed to be a 1:1 CBD/THC. It is doing well. I also have some seedling babies in there - a White Widow, a Peppermint Kush and Bruce the Russian (A bruce banner strain). I have a grizzly purple kush I'm trying to sprout.

In the big tent is Girl Scout Cookies and Purple Strawberry Bliss, in the front. In the rear are Monster Profit and Strawberry Amnesia.

I added some lighting. I wasn't happy with the coverage I was getting with one light. Now I'm thinking of going with another light like the new one I added, which is a Budget LED model with full specs. Link to light.
I'm still playing around, I guess.

Here's my new assistant, Zooey, btw:

I can't believe it has been this long since I have posted.
I've been growing two plants in the large tent since April. They are in flower and very large. The size was accidental. First, I had four plants, then one died in utero and later another one died (sudden infant death syndrome) so I had two. Then I had a light issue and instead of going into 12/12 it was 24. I caught it in three weeks and finally put them in flower. So, we are four weeks from harvest, or so.
In the incubator I have six sprouting: OG Kush, White Widow and Mazari Grape.
Meanwhile, here we are.
My last harvest was horrible. Hardly got me through a month. So, this one is designed for quantity.
I changed the lighting, using two long lights on each side. I wish now I had left the other one in the tent, also. It is going back.
My next grow I hope to have four good plants.

@InTheShed, I used your LST to hold these plants down. As a result, I have some beautiful colas. I have to get the camera into the sides to show those.
The die-off of the fan leaves was different this time. I didn't have time to get them off before they started falling off.

Sorry, slow getting back. The colas are still growing bigger.
Yes, it is still lately, since it was my last grow. LOL.
I've never seen such plants as these. They actually grew quite large and tall, even though I tied them down at every opportunity. Now I'm staking lower branches up off the ones below them, with lst wire and using the poles. I've decided that if I ever grow plants this large again, I will get a third set of poles and a third net!
I just took a bunch of photos and will put them up once they upload from the iphone. Most of the colas are still frosty and adding weight. A few of the ones on top have stopped growing and are ripening, but all are still clear. I like to wait until the trichomes are mostly cloudy and are just beginning to get an amber trich or two.
The size of these buds is amazing.
I have no idea how to figure what I might get in the end. All I know is, this is as much as one can hope to get in these tents.

Back
Top Bottom