Pink's New Grow Room: Perpetual Fun and Games

Covid-19 Update
I was diagnosed two days ago with Covid. Yes, I took the test and failed.
My daughter is also sick and was tested yesterday. We are waiting for her results, but she probably has it. She is asleep on the couch.
She has several comorbidities so I'm watching her.
I know this isn't related to my grow, but it may be related to the use of ganja.
Let me tell you about my Covid experience.
I thought I had a head cold, although I haven't had one of those for years. My sinuses were totally stopped up and they hurt. They were bleeding a bit, also, so every time I blew my nose it looked like a nosebleed. I irrigated my sinuses with lots of warm salt water, and got all the crap out of there, which helped. So I contacted my doctor, and they ordered a test. I went to take it in Springfield, Mo. It was a drive thru. They stuck this long swab up my nose and held it for 10 seconds. It was painful, but not as bad as having a baby (LOL).
Yesterday they called with the results, telling me I'm positive. Immediately I began to feel better. Today I feel fine and my nose doesn't hurt.
No other issues. So apparently, I have had a mild case.
All the worry was for naught.

You're growing some beasts in there! Start sharpening those scissors :).
I'm excited to begin trimming. My husband made me a drying box out of a big box we got with my daughter's new mattress. Same size as one of those wardrobe boxes. He put dowels thru it in two layers, So I can hang a lot of weed.
I'm going to try this for the three Peppermint Kush plants, because I think I can get them all in there, except for the larf.
I'm also going to stagger the harvest and try to put some weight on the buds below the salt.
(That's a reference to the dinner table in medieval England, where your accessibility to the salt was determined by your rank and importance).

I was diagnosed two days ago with Covid. Yes, I took the test and failed.
My daughter is also sick and was tested yesterday. We are waiting for her results, but she probably has it. She is asleep on the couch
:eek: I'm so glad you are feeling better, and I hope your daughter recovers quickly as well! Do you have any idea where you caught it, and how is your husband doing?

I’m feeling pretty good. No fever, no shortness of breath. It’s like a bad head cold. The big tent appears to be winding down to finish. Bud hairs are turning darker and developing curl. I’ll be monitoring the trichs.
I have a question. If I pull the colas and leave the underdeveloped buds there for a few days, would they be likely to develop more?
I meant to add I have lost my senses of taste and smell.

:eek: I'm so glad you are feeling better, and I hope your daughter recovers quickly as well! Do you have any idea where you caught it, and how is your husband doing?
We got it foolishly. I invited my daughter, son-in-law and grandson to my house for birthday celebrations, because we had three in October. It was catchup. And my sister and her husband. After they arrived they told us our grandson had been exposed. He wasn’t feeling well. My husband so far Hasn’t come down with it. And I’m much better. So are all of us.

What's strange about them? I just see purple. :)

OMG! :eek: Oops I forgot to tell you we may be giving you a potentially deadly virus...
Yeah, sorry for the blurple. I took those with my phone and uploaded while in the grow room.
the strange thing is the shape. Little bitty buds and lotta leaves.

Update on Grow, November 23
Over the weekend I was still in quarantine (Covid) so I kept busy defoliating the big tent.I removed everything dead and fluffed out the buds, and now there is daylight again below the canopy. The lower branches on some of the plants are sporting little popcorn buds.

I estimate next weekend chopping the tops, then leaving the lower branches to finish for a week or so.

The Mom tent is a couple of weeks behind, and I'm a bit unhappy about the bud development on the harlequin. The other buds are normal; its just this one plant. I'm hoping the buds get larger. I won't be taking it until I know that it won't develop.

As you can see in the pics above, I have Covid nails again. And Covid hair but I'm not showing it off.
Now that I'm out of quarantine, I could get my nails and hair done. But I feel I shouldn't, not until the rest of the family is off quarantine.
I'm having trouble stopping myself from chopping the big tent today.
Yes, I realize it can get better and better until it reaches Nirvana - but I'm bored.
I went down and stood there twice today, touching the buds and looking at trichs.
I have a drying box ready and several cardboard egg crates (we buy them 5 doz a time, so these are flats with holes in the cardboard for ventilation). I also have a drying rack.
What does a planner and plotter do while stove up with two other people who are under quarantine? She plans her next step -- trimming the grow.
Just got back from downstairs. The tops on the buds are still sprouting white hairs. Theres' a considerable amount of crystal and quite a bit of cloudy. No amber. I closed the tent and walked away.
The Mom tent plants are not ready, either, but they are a couple of weeks after the flowering tent.
I have four plants faunching at the bit in the nursery, but I've got that under control.

Have Thanksgiving dinner?
Thankfully, no. LOL. We hate turkey. And everyone is sick, except for me. I'm undoubtedly going to chop tomorrow.

Since no relatives, we're having an English roast dinner!
That sounds delicious. Tell me how you do it.
My husband loves meat and potatoes. So do I.
I chopped today and pics will follow. We had a nice quiet day, me downstairs in the grow room trimming, and the others read and napped.

Chop Day!
Today I lopped off the tops in the big tent, leaving a few to grow more, and leaving everything below to firm up and get fatter.
Here's some photos:

This is what is left in the big tent:

I went to work after breakfast (we got up late and ate late, so I wasn't downstairs until 1:30 pm.)
First, I lopped off the tops on the Peppermint Kush, and then trimmed these. I had some huge buds here. One I weighed and it was almost two ounces wet, after trim. I'm so sad that I can't smell the plants. I have totally lost taste and smell, the only lingering symptom from my Covid illness. So frustrating.
Instead of the drying box, I decided to hang the buds in the closet. The buds I couldn't put in the closet to hang, were put in the egg crates and placed in the fridge for the refrigerator cure.

I have no idea how much weight I trimmed today. I boxed the sugar trim in egg crates along with the wild buds that wouldn't hang right, and the refrigerator is full.
There's a lot of popcorn left in the big tent. I'm going to let it mature as long as possible before chopping the rest and cleaning the tent, preparing for the next grow.

Meanwhile, in the Mom tent, the harlequinn is overpowering the other plants. I'm hoping the others will reveg to be stronger plants.

Thankfully, no. LOL. We hate turkey. And everyone is sick, except for me. I'm undoubtedly going to chop tomorrow.
In my seven decades on Earth, I have cooked Thanksgiving Dinner about 40 times. Sometimes for 40 people, other times for three. This year, Covid put the brakes on any plans. We are thankful to be alive. The three of us in our house have some serious comorbidities that made us very afraid of this illness. None of us had a bad case, and my daughter and her family made it through, as well. So thankful. I guess this time the angel of death passed us by.
I really do like a good turkey meal, but I prefer chicken flavorwise. My favorite dishes are the apple salad my oldest daughter makes (she also makes a mean potato salad), pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce.
The Lord willing and creek don't rise, we will have a holiday celebration later in December, with the family members who have had Covid and recovered.

Harvest!
It took two weeks, but I finally got all of the weed harvested and trimmed, dried and placed in storage. I used all my cannavaults, too. Final tally out of the big tent is 17 ounces, and it could be bigger than that next time. Take a look:

My Assessment:

For the first time growing in the big tent, with its unique challenges and new lights, etc., I'm pleased. Here are the pros and cons:
  • Pros - the size is perfect. I still crowded the tent (see cons, below) too much, but now I know what course of action to take.
  • Love the light, from @Budget LED. I had so much light the plants were stressed, so I dimmed it down.
  • The 70-gallon reservoir is so much easier to keep in perfect PH and PPM. I only have to change it every other week now, instead of every week. I'm using H2O2 now and the res and flood table are staying much cleaner.
  • Exhausting tent air out the window has made a huge difference in smell (there isn't any) and humidity. I keep records of room conditions (temp and humidity, etc.) and can use that as a guide for how the plants are doing.
  • Cons - the size of the tent requires a great deal of work every day, once the plants get bigger. A person who doesn't have two hours a day for maintenance and a day or two on the weekends to do heavy maintenance should think twice. Also, I have helpers. My daughter and husband both help with the heavy lifting. I could not do this alone. A 70 gallon reservoir and 48 X 48 flood table require more than one person to clean and move around.
  • Because the room is partially underground and has only one heat register in the ceiling and no return air duct, it gets cold. So I have to supply auxiliary heat. But not too much. I want the room temp to be below 75 and above 68.
So, based on this assessment, I am taking or have taken the following corrective measures:
  1. I had too many plants. Six is too many. So now I'm doing four only. This way I hope to have a lot less larf. I had 7 ounces of larfy buds. These are still plenty smokeable, but I would prefer that I don't have to do two harvests. Even though I allowed the larf to continue for two weeks, the final harvest was a disappointment.
  2. A milkhouse heater, which has safety features (if it falls over or gets knocked over, it stops), has helped the temp in the room stay warmer than 65 degrees. It took a few days to calibrate it, but now it heats without taking all the humidity out.

Harvest!
It took two weeks, but I finally got all of the weed harvested and trimmed, dried and placed in storage. I used all my cannavaults, too. Final tally out of the big tent is 17 ounces, and it could be bigger than that next time. Take a look:

My Assessment:

For the first time growing in the big tent, with its unique challenges and new lights, etc., I'm pleased. Here are the pros and cons:
  • Pros - the size is perfect. I still crowded the tent (see cons, below) too much, but now I know what course of action to take.
  • Love the light, from @Budget LED. I had so much light the plants were stressed, so I dimmed it down.
  • The 70-gallon reservoir is so much easier to keep in perfect PH and PPM. I only have to change it every other week now, instead of every week. I'm using H2O2 now and the res and flood table are staying much cleaner.
  • Exhausting tent air out the window has made a huge difference in smell (there isn't any) and humidity. I keep records of room conditions (temp and humidity, etc.) and can use that as a guide for how the plants are doing.
  • Cons - the size of the tent requires a great deal of work every day, once the plants get bigger. A person who doesn't have two hours a day for maintenance and a day or two on the weekends to do heavy maintenance should think twice. Also, I have helpers. My daughter and husband both help with the heavy lifting. I could not do this alone. A 70 gallon reservoir and 48 X 48 flood table require more than one person to clean and move around.
  • Because the room is partially underground and has only one heat register in the ceiling and no return air duct, it gets cold. So I have to supply auxiliary heat. But not too much. I want the room temp to be below 75 and above 68.
So, based on this assessment, I am taking or have taken the following corrective measures:
  1. I had too many plants. Six is too many. So now I'm doing four only. This way I hope to have a lot less larf. I had 7 ounces of larfy buds. These are still plenty smokeable, but I would prefer that I don't have to do two harvests. Even though I allowed the larf to continue for two weeks, the final harvest was a disappointment.
  2. A milkhouse heater, which has safety features (if it falls over or gets knocked over, it stops), has helped the temp in the room stay warmer than 65 degrees. It took a few days to calibrate it, but now it heats without taking all the humidity out.
tht expert haze is strikingly beautiful, nice nice haul too:bravo:

Congrats on the amazing harvest Pink! Sorry I somehow missed the November posts but terrific pics of the buds and the vaults.

:welldone:
That sounds delicious. Tell me how you do it.
My husband loves meat and potatoes.
It's roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, string beans, and because it was Thanksgiving, sweet potato puree. Delish!
I'm using H2O2 now and the res and flood table are staying much cleaner.
Good info! How much are you adding to 70 gallons and how often?
A milkhouse heater,
I was thinking of getting an oil filled one for the shed as the milkhouse ones seem to need more room in front of them to keep stuff from catching on fire.

Congrats on the amazing harvest Pink! Sorry I somehow missed the November posts but terrific pics of the buds and the vaults.

:welldone:

It's roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, string beans, and because it was Thanksgiving, sweet potato puree. Delish!

Good info! How much are you adding to 70 gallons and how often?

I was thinking of getting an oil filled one for the shed as the milkhouse ones seem to need more room in front of them to keep stuff from catching on fire.
Every time I add water - usually 10 gallons or more, I add six ounces of h2o2, diluted. Seems to be fine. Thanks for the menu!

Back
Top Bottom