Pink's New Grow Room: Perpetual Fun and Games

New plants, clones and revegging Moms
Welcome to my new grow - the second grow in my new grow room setup.
Plants in the big tent are Expert Haze and Blue Dream. Both varieties finished well previously, with beautiful purple markings on the finished buds. So I'm curious to see how a second run of these will do.
This time I have four plants instead of six, and I'm constantly removing any growth below the top to prevent what happened last time (plants had a heavy undergrowth that didn't mature with the top).
Over the weekend I did a lot of pruning. Photo shows the plants after defoliation.

The mother plants, after an initial flowering that demonstrated how these plants do, were harvested and now are revegging. I've been keeping track of how quickly and how well the plants react to revegging. The tent contains the following plants: Expert Gorilla Glue and Expert Haze, Harlequin, Fire OG and Skywalker Triangle Kush. The Expert Haze, Fire OG and Skywalker are slower to reveg than the Harlequin and Expert Gorilla Glue, but all of the plants are now showing new growth.

The nursery tent now has clones rooting. I know the top of the cloner is mess, but I don't think the situation requires a full cleaning right now. The mess is mostly calcium deposits and salts from nutrients. The plants in the nursery before transplanting in five gallon pots for the flowering tent are shown below, followed by the new clones. The clones came from a plant in the nursery that was too tall, so I topped it.

Looking like you have it going well. I will look forward to seeing this all happen in the future. :thumb:
Thanks for coming over! I try to post at least once per week.

A Midweek Update
Things have changed enough in recent days that I decided to post some photos and discuss.
The revegging in the mother tent has exploded, and in the flowering tent the new plants are getting settled in.

Moms Revegging and a Discussion about it
First, take a look at what the plants looked like last week:

Now, see today:

The plant in the center (Harlequin) and the plant on the left are flourishing. The two in the very back corners (Fire OG on left and Skywalker Triangle Kush on the right) are showing abundant new growth, while the one on the front right (Expert Haze) of the tent is doing fine; it is just that the growth is hard to see. So, with all things being equal except the strain of cannabis being different, without doing a clinical trial I can postulate with impunity (sorta) that the strain is the difference that guides revegging rate.
Revegging is interesting. The first time I succeeded in revegging a tent, it was accidental. It was my first grow, and the light timer was inadvertently bumped and instead of 12/12, it was going more like 8/8/8. Suddenly I had strange looking growth and the buds I had been celebrating disappeared. After learning from the lovely people on this site what I had done, I decided to try it after harvesting the next grow.
But this is the first time I revegged five different strains at once, and I'm finding the differences intriguing.

Vegetation and Defoliation in the Flowering Tent
The plants were clones that I grew in the cloning tent, and when I transplanted them into five-gallon fabric pots, they were in various stages in growth. One was tall enough to extend several inches over the net. So I cropped it. One was small then and remains small, but I am planning to grow it out and prune all of them to be the same or similar size before scrogging finishes through the lower net.
As I stated in earlier posts, I am defoliating this grow more aggressively. Like most tasks, I googled and consulted my resources in books, etc., and I came up with a couple of constants; also many differences. So, take a look here and I'll continue on the other side:

The first photo is before defoliation and the second was taken 24 hours after I stripped the bottom branches.
Tomorrow the plants will have recovered so much that it will look almost like a before picture.
(That's the plan, so...) LOL.

Allow me to end this post by listing what I do when I defoliate to prepare for scrog. Please feel free to comment and add your wisdom, or alternatively, argue against defoliation.

1. Please realize I'm referring to a grow in a 5X5 tent, flood and drain hydroponics.
  2. Scrogging such large plants requires pruning and low stress training, as well as clearing out the underbrush. First time around in this setup, I let the plants veg too much below the nets, and did not arrange where all colas would be above the second net. As a result, those colas below the canopy were stunted. It was a waste of space and energy. I realize I still had a great harvest, but the fine-tuning I'm doing now will bring me much more.
  3. Start early. The plants' size requires it, because at some point, the vegetation will cut off light below the canopy and the vegetation below will begin to wither and die. And colas below that are getting a bit of light but not enough light will become more like larf than bud. It may seem cruel and maybe even misguided to do this, but I've been told it is a necessity.
  4. So we will find out. Please advise me if you wish as we go.

Reveggers look great, and growth in the tent is on point! Good job keeping them clean early, which will save you a lot of time later.
And colas below that are getting a bit of light but not enough light will become more like larf than bud.
Even lower flowers getting light will usually remain larf because that's not where the plant is putting the growth hormones, which go to the tops (that's where most of the pollen in the wild would land). Besides keeping the canopy flat to make all tops the same distance and visibility to the lights, it makes them all tops to the plant.

Here are some pics of one of the day 21 post-stretch thinning I did this weekend. Being outside in the sun, light penetration isn't really an issue. Still, I don't want fluffy buds down low (#nolarf) because they're a pain to trim and use up plant resources that could be better allocated to the tops:

This is how I strip the branches to make sure only the tops have flowers:

Whenever you thin, think hormones as well as light.

Wow. I never thought that removing buds further down would be a good idea. Can you come stay with us for a few weeks to guide the grow? LOL.
Actually, look for future jobs as consultant to growers!
Today the plants look even better than yesterday. I don't know how I have acquired such assistance, but I'm so grateful to you.
I want my plants to look like a pro grow, with pretty tops all over. I'm trying.

Update, December 31
Happy New Year to all, tomorrow. On this last day of the year I will post a year end review (to come, below). But in this post I will bring you up to date on the grow.
The revegging Mothers are doing great. Only one of them, the Expert Haze, is slow to show new leaves. Lots of new growth as "nubs" and I suspect it will suddenly burst into leaves any moment. The others have already been lightly trimmed so they won't overwhelm the space. Expert Haze is also slow to clone, I have noticed.
The Harlequin grows so fast I had to remove some tops. Other plant varieties are about the same in growth strength - Expert Gorilla Glue, Fire OG, and Triangle Skywalker Kush - and are on par with each other.
I tried to post these in order, from the beginning to the most recent:

The plan is to take eight clones of all but the Harlequin and choose the best four for planting in the Flowering Tent after the present plants are harvested. Meanwhile, in the Flowering Tent are four plants; two are Blue Dream, one is Expert Haze and the other is unknown but probably Expert Haze.
These should finish around April 1 or so. Seems the harvest date for plants can always be connected to a major holiday/festival. I'm smoking Thanksgiving 2020 right now.

The clones are OK, but no roots yet. Not sure I will grow these - I'm mostly taking a hard look at the ease of cloning Expert Haze. Not going well. Two or three will erupt soon - I see nubs.

The Flowering Tent plants are going through training to a scrog, and the growth is steady but evenly paced. The tops on the plants are exploding with new growth. Temps are cool right now, getting down close to 60 at night. A milkhouse heater keeps it above 65 (66), but the vapor pressure deficit is staying good. Readers who are not familiar with the VPD can download a chart and read about it here: VPD Chart.
Thanks to @InTheShed for alerting me to this measurement. I use it to tweak the heat in the grow room. One thing I realized right away is that low temps are OK if the humidity is low. And I shouldn't try to make the room comfortable for human occupants - LOL.
Learning from my last grow, I have fewer plants and I'm cutting out the larf before it appears by trimming each plant so they will grow from the tips out.
Here are pictures of the Flowering Tent today:

In the last photo see the sage used post trimming. Its part of my spiritual practice, as a pagan.
Buffalo White Sage is lit and then put out slowly, wafting the smoke over the grow and visualizing the finished harvest and abundant growth to come.

Happy New Year Pink! Whatever the VPD chart says, lower temps do slow down nutrient transport from the roots, so I'd consider ~64º the lowest soil temp for growth regardless of the RH.

2020 Review of Grows
This was a watershed year that saw enormous change in how I grow and harvest cannabis.
I've never done a year-end review before, so first I had to figure out whether to do it categorically or chronologically.
I'll begin with a month-by-month portrait and then address topics separately.

When 2020 opened, I was growing illegally under the stairs in a Gorilla lite line 2 by 2 1/2 by 5.7" height tent. I now realize I was getting optimum results, more than 7 ounces a grow. And I know that getting results like that are going to take time in my present grow space -- it took me three years to do it in the small tent, after all. Today I have a fully legal grow in my state of Missouri, and I'm a licensed cultivator, user, and caregiver for another. I have a new grow room that is half underground in the basement, and three tents: the two I had before and a new 5X5 tent. We planned this grow room for months, beginning in December 2019. It too us until the summer 2020 to get it put together.

January 2020
December 2019, I harvested the bud in my grow tent and planted more clones. So in January I was nurturing those and planning the new grow room.

On January 20, I flipped the tent to 12/12.

February 2020
This month I planned to become legal, and in a couple of months, I got a license and became a cultivator. It cost me $150 altogether, which wasn't too hard on me. While growing plants under the stairs, I pondered whether I should change from hydro to soil. I decided to stay with hydro; it is more expensive but it is a bit faster. It is more labor intensive, but no worries. I'm always home. Link: How I chose hydro

March 2020
The Ides of March harvest was another good one, even if the amount wasn't great. I almost revegged the plants, but they were a bust. Probably because I took them out of the tent for a day before deciding what to do. In the end I planted new seeds and they flourished.

April 2020
This month I had four plants growing in the tent, the three Peppermint Kush and one Mazari Grape clone.

May 2020
The main thing May brought was learning new techniques of training. I also received lots of wonderful advice from @Pennywise and @InTheShed. I love going back and reading what they told me. You know what? They are always right. LOL. I also talk more in my journal during May about scrogging.

June 2020
I flipped the tent in late May, and in June they were blooming well. I was still having trouble with clones rooting. But the plants in the flowering tent were doing darn good.

July 2020
Harvest began in the middle of the month. I got about seven ounces.

August 2020
This month I started a new journal (this one) and put the new grow room together. You can see my discussion of getting coco coir rehydrated, etc.
Link: New Grow Room discussion and pics

September 2020
I had six plants in the big tent. Because I didn't train them properly, the growth was thick and untenable. This didn't become obvious to me until much later, because I'm inexperienced majorly. LOL
Thanks to @Pennywise and @InTheShed, I learned about VPD: Pennywise post on VPD

October 2020
This month explains the way I had to scrog in the new tent. Also a discussion of cloning. Which I'm no expert at.
See the scrog

I also dealt with light burn. My new light was turned up too high. I love that light though - Budget LED.
My journal also described our ventilation set up, a very important factor, and the use of H202 in the reservoirs.

November 2020
So this is the month I got Covid.
And it was harvest month for the big tent. Because I failed to trim the plants well before letting them get big, buds beneath the canopy were strange - fluffy and tiny budlets. Total harvest on Thanksgiving week was (dry) 15 oz. of bud and so much trim. I couldn't put it in the refrigerator to dry - there was too much of it. So I hung the buds on hangers in the closet until they were dry.

December 2020
Congrats on the amazing harvest Pink! Sorry I somehow missed the November posts but terrific pics of the buds and the vaults.

:welldone:

It's roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, string beans, and because it was Thanksgiving, sweet potato puree. Delish!

Good info! How much are you adding to 70 gallons and how often?

I was thinking of getting an oil filled one for the shed as the milkhouse ones seem to need more room in front of them to keep stuff from catching on fire.
The milkhouse is safer than other heaters, IMHO. If they fall over, they turn off. But they do need space. I put mine away from the tent intake so the air gets cooled a bit before hitting the tent.
It's a fine hair getting the temp right, too.

2020 Review of Grows
This was a watershed year that saw enormous change in how I grow and harvest cannabis.
I've never done a year-end review before, so first I had to figure out whether to do it categorically or chronologically.
I'll begin with a month-by-month portrait and address topics within.

When 2020 opened, I was growing illegally under the stairs in a Gorilla lite line 2 by 2 1/2 by 5.7" height tent. I now realize I was getting optimum results, more than 7 ounces a grow. And I know that getting results like that are going to take time in my present grow space -- it took me three years to do it in the small tent, after all. Today I have a fully legal grow in my state of Missouri, and I'm a licensed cultivator, user, and caregiver for another. I have a new grow room that is half underground in the basement, and three tents: the two I had before and a new 5X5 tent. We planned this grow room for months, beginning in December 2019. It too us until the summer 2020 to get it put together.

January 2020
December 2019, I harvested the bud in my grow tent and planted more clones. So in January I was nurturing those and planning the new grow room.

On January 20, I flipped the tent to 12/12.

February 2020
This month I planned to become legal, and in a couple of months, I got a license and became a cultivator. It cost me $150 altogether, which wasn't too hard on me. While growing plants under the stairs, I pondered whether I should change from hydro to soil. I decided to stay with hydro; it is more expensive but it is a bit faster. It is more labor intensive, but no worries. I'm always home. Link: How I chose hydro

March 2020
The Ides of March harvest was another good one, even if the amount wasn't great. I almost revegged the plants, but they were a bust. Probably because I took them out of the tent for a day before deciding what to do. In the end I planted new seeds and they flourished.

April 2020
This month I had four plants growing in the tent, the three Peppermint Kush and one Mazari Grape clone.

May 2020
The main thing May brought was learning new techniques of training. I also received lots of wonderful advice from @Pennywise and @InTheShed. I love going back and reading what they told me. You know what? They are always right. LOL. I also talk more in my journal during May about scrogging.

June 2020
I flipped the tent in late May, and in June they were blooming well. I was still having trouble with clones rooting. But the plants in the flowering tent were doing darn good.

July 2020
Harvest began in the middle of the month. I got about seven ounces.

August 2020
This month I started a new journal (this one) and put the new grow room together. You can see my discussion of getting coco coir rehydrated, etc.
Link: New Grow Room discussion and pics

September 2020
I had six plants in the big tent. Because I didn't train them properly, the growth was thick and untenable. This didn't become obvious to me until much later, because I'm inexperienced majorly. LOL
Thanks to @Pennywise and @InTheShed, I learned about VPD: Pennywise post on VPD

October 2020
This month explains the way I had to scrog in the new tent. Also a discussion of cloning. Which I'm no expert at.
See the scrog

I also dealt with light burn. My new light was turned up too high. I love that light though - Budget LED.
My journal also described our ventilation set up, a very important factor, and the use of H202 in the reservoirs.

November 2020
So this is the month I got Covid.
And it was harvest month for the big tent. Because I failed to trim the plants well before letting them get big, buds beneath the canopy were strange - fluffy and tiny budlets. Total harvest on Thanksgiving week was (dry) 17 oz. of bud and so much trim. I couldn't put it in the refrigerator to dry - there was too much of it. So I hung the buds on hangers in the closet until they were dry.

December 2020
Full Circle. Four plants in the big flowering tent now, and I'm going to make clones of the four varieties in the Mom tent (except for the fifth, Harlequin). The Harlequin needs a lot of room to branch out, so I will be planting clones of that by itself at some point in 2021.

Final Assessment
The main changes in 2020 were using coco coir instead of hydroton, changing the grow space, and getting more experienced. Every grow I learn something. But I love this site, with all the people happy and willing to help.
Thank you everyone!

According to Expert seeds, "Expert Haze is a cross between our best Haze with Laotian genetics to create a proper Sativa but with a relatively short flowering cycle, making it ideal for indoors or outdoors, even in northern European climes."

Time to show off my plants

This week I have trimmed my mom tent, used LST techniques (ala @InTheShed) and seated new clones. Let's start in the nursery.

Nursery Tent and Cloning discussion
Before doing anything, I cleaned the tent and the equipment, and soaked the used clone collars and the cut up net pots from the last cloning, with a rich H2O2 mixed with hot water in a bucket. These would have been ready in an hour, but I let it soak for three days. My cloning style is rather unorthodox, but it works for me. The tent setup is a 2 X 2 Cool Grows tent, two fans in the tent, plus a 4-inch intake air duct with an inline fan, and a 4-inch exhaust fan and filter. The equipment for growing is a Savvy Grow DWC unit that is no longer available. I got it because it was cheaper than buying a cloning machine. And I have had good results. I don't believe the tent is available either. But anything like it would work, as the grower really doesn't have to worry about light leaks, etc. However, be sure to clean everything carefully between uses.
I use net pots that I cut the bottoms off, and then cut in half so that the clone collar will fit in the net pot and suspend the clone in the water. I just allow the tips of the cuttings to touch the water. I have two large air stones that create a fine mist that bathes the bottom of the clone. The nutrient mix is scaled to seedlings, and I have used FloraNova Grow, a one-part nutrient, plus mycorrhizae in the water, enzymes and H2O2. Here are some photos of what I did.

First, I use tongue depressor sized wooden markers to label each clone.

Then I make labels and tape them to the top of the unit with painter's tape (because I had it, LOL) :

I'm reusing the last pots I cut, and here is one, showing how I cut it with scissors:

The photos above show the clone collar and how to put it in the net pot.

After preparing the pots, collars, water, etc., I cut the clones from the mothers, trim the clone carefully, making certain the stem has nodes and is about four or five inches long. I cut the stem at a sharp angle, scrape a bit of the stem to rough it up, and then dip in Clonex and put in the clone collar and then suspend the clone and collar in the net pot. If you do this right, and don't kill the clone, the next day the plants will perk up and look cool. I also trim all leaves off except for the top of the clone, and the leaves are docked as shown. The reason you dock the leaves is to force the clone to develop roots before leaves. I don't understand why this works, I just know it does.
Daily, I check the PH, PPM (nutrient level), water level, heat, and humidity.

The Records I Keep
Ever since my first grow, years ago now, I have kept a daily record of conditions in my grow.
I do this with a calendar I print from my computer, a monthly calendar with space for each day to record the temperature, humidity, and water level. I check the water for PH, PPM and temperature. If I add water or nutrients or other additives, I note that on the calendar. Recently I also added a journal to record longer information on the grows, things I want to get or add, or general information that I don't have room for on the calendar sheets. I have one sheet for each tent plus one for the room conditions, now that I have a room where all the tents are.This has been very helpful. I can look back to see how long a previous grow took for each milestone, plus I can track how heat and cold affected things. And it keeps me on track.

Mom Tent and Flowering Tent
After I took clones, I trimmed down my mother plants so they wouldn't overwhelm the tent. I took two clones from each variety: Expert Gorilla Glue, Skywalker Triangle Kush, Fire OG and Harlequin, a CBD variety.
The best clone from each will go to the Flowering Tent when the current grow is over.

Also, I sage my grows to release negative energy. I will use Palo Santo incense along with Buffalo Sage. This is something I do as part of my religious practice as a pagan.

Mites
I have been visited by mites again. First time in a long time. They appeared a couple of weeks ago in the Mom tent, which was revegging after a first harvest to assess each plant to see what I wanted to grow in the FT. I have miticide and used it everywhere. Now they are gone. I've had fungus gnats before and let them get away from me. This time I am armed with Mighty Mite Spray. I used it three times over a week's time, and now no gnats. I don't know where they came from.

Timing
I love to go back to my calendars to see how long the last grows took. This is another good thing about record keeping. The previous FT grow was put in the tent on August 1. It was harvested the end of November. So four months is how long it takes to grow a harvest. Because I have to do meticulous training of the four plants in the tent this time in order to prevent too much trim from being made (LOL). This will be interesting.

Thanks for reading my journal.

I need to correct an earlier post:
December 2020
Full Circle. Four plants in the big flowering tent now, and I'm going to make clones of the four varieties in the Mom tent (except for the fifth, Harlequin). The Harlequin needs a lot of room to branch out, so I will be planting clones of that by itself at some point in 2021.

Actually, I ended up with Harlequin in the clones, because Expert Haze plant was behind the others in revegging.

Back
Top Bottom