I see too many growers using scrogs with no end game. Yours will actually produce weight.
I think most people don't understand the whole concept. I didn't, but through trial and error, I learned.
That's what makes this site so valuable to new growers, the tutorials.
When I get my 5X5 tent going in a couple of months, I plan to use these techniques there.
I'm thinking of getting a new scrog screen for the big tent, and will report on what I find out there.

Ok cool, I saw a video once a guy had a plant about 4 feet tall with 5 or 6 main branches. He super cropped all the branches down to the same height. Maybe 18” tall then smashed a net on top of them and that’s how he starts his scrogs. It ends up being a beast of a plant!

Another Scrog Tutorial - How to Tuck and Weave

Hope this is useful. Below are photos showing a week's worth of training a scrog. Cannabis likes to grow up like a Christmas tree. In a small tent, with limited height, it's impossible for the plant to reach its potential. So this method trains the plant to grow horizontally.

The scrog illustrated is in a small, 2 X 2.5 foot Gorilla Lite Line without the extension, so the height is 5 feet 7 inches.
I use two screens: the lower screen has 3-inch rigid wire holes, and the entire screen is anchored by wire legs that sit on the table; the height is adjustable. The top screen has five-inch holes and is flexible material that is anchored by hooks to the tent poles. I purchased mine at the grow store I go to in town. They are available in different sizes.

Notice in the photos, that the plant completely fills up the screen by the end of the week. I have tried to place the photos so you can watch them grow, get tucked, grow, get tucked - you get the idea.

Update on Grow - May 19 2020
The Peppermint Kush is doing well, and growing rapidly. We are about one week from turning the lights on 12/12. Once the plants develop tops that go up about four to six inches, I will flip. All the tops should be at least four inches before the flip, because otherwise the shorter branches will not develop their full potential. These are Indica dominant plants, so stretch after the flip is somewhat limited. However, it is important not to wait too long, or the branches will grow too tall before they mature.

Before the flip, I do a manicure; this is not a defoliation, just a cleaning up below the bottom screen, removing any languishing fan leaves that are discolored or obviously dying. This is also when I take my clones. This grow I will be taking clones below the bottom screen, choosing branches that have little chance of growing up and developing colas. Removing the extra stuff is really good for the plants, too; it give them a growth hormone boost. The plant thinks it is being attacked and responds by attempting to grow bigger and stronger in an effort to fend off the attack.

I'm going to take eight clones of the Peppermint Kush. I'm not cloning the lone Mazari Grape in the right-hand corner of the tent, because I have seed and I'm going to phase this out for awhile. These clones will be planted in the new tent that we are putting up in a few weeks. It's a 5 x 5 Gorilla heavyweight tent, but more on that later. Once I get the new grow room up and running, you'll see it here first.

A Tutorial on Rooting Clones for Hydroponic growing
Cloning cannabis is fairly easy to me now, but when I started this several years ago, I was clueless. When I sought advice by searching forums, I found many, many methods of rooting clones; by trial and error I created a cloner out of a DWC unit I had purchased. When I bought the DWC unit, I thought I would grow smaller plants in a 2.x 2 tent with it. That didn't work for me. I like larger plants. So, I planned on making the small tent a place to root seedlings and make clones. That has worked for me. The method I developed in the end is not chronicled anywhere so far as I know. So, here it is.

Step 1
First, harvest the clones from plants that are ready to go into the flowering stage. (I have photoperiod plants, and I really don't know if this would work on autos.) It is important to take clones that are of a certain size and maturity. It is best done before the plant kicks into flower, because a flowering clone will reveg and create all kinds of shoots; this may be what you want to do. I've done it with success, but the caveat is that it takes longer for the clone to be ready to be potted up and placed in the flowering tent. Choose cuttings that are about five to six inches long, with at least one and preferrably two nodes with leaves. I trim the leaves except for the ones at the top, and these I cut the tips off of. (The reason you clip the points off the leaves is to keep the plant from trying to grow or use their leaves. This puts the plant's attention on rooting.)

After you choose a clone, immediately cut it off the plant with clean, sanitized scissors. Trim the bottom leaves off, and cut the points off the top leaves, then place immediately in a jar or beaker containing water that is ph'd to 5.8 or thereabouts.

Step 2
Second, prepare your tent and your hydroponic reservoir. Mine is 5-7 gallons; I use five gallons, as I'm wanting to slightly dip the clones in the water, but not much. Just a hair. I have two large air stones that create a continuous fine mist underneath the cover. This is important. The new roots will not come from the tip that is dipped in the water. That is simply to keep the plant hydrated while it gets used to the new tent and begins to create roots. Roots will come from the nodes. I only use four additives to the reservoir: Bio Root (or any root enhancer), PH Down (we have hard water), Z7 or another enzyme to keep the water clean, and mycorrhizae (I use Great White).

Step 3
Something is needed to hold the clone in the DWC unit; I use little net pots that fit perfectly into the holes in the lid of the DWC. And I use cloning collars. The only problem with this is, the roots grow and will grow through the net pot, and then you are stuck with the chore of how to remove the plant from the net pot so it will not be damaged. This is what I do: I cut the bottom off the net pot with kitchen shears, then I cut up vertically, to slit the pot up all the way through the lid. Then when the plant is the right size to be transplanted, you just spread the net pot apart and voila!

Most of the time, the plants root in a week or so; they are ready to transplant in about a month, although you can wait until the plants reach the size you want before transplanting. I have a 45 watt light over them now, so I don't have to worry about leaf burn and overheating.

I hope this helps someone. I will be happy to answer questions.

Update on Grow
Today is flip day, going from six hours of darkness to 12/12. I allowed these plants to veg a bit longer than I normally do, hoping this will increase my yield. The reason I waited, also, is I had one revegging clone in the back right corner; it was slow to grow; but now it is taller than the rest. LOL. These plants continue to amaze me.
I also took clones today, and you can see those in the post above. Here's some photos taken today:

Update on Grow
Day six of flowering
I'm always amazed at the rapid growth in hydroponics. Several shoots on these plants gained about four to six inches this first week of 12/12. And the plants that seemed the smallest are now looking like the biggest. ?? The plant in the rear right of the tent is the tallest, and it is a revegged clone of Mazari Grape. The other three are Peppermint Kush.

Here's the before pics:

And here are pics on day six of flowering:

Clones
My clones are doing well, six days in. No roots yet but the beginnings of roots (little nubs) on the stems, too small to be seen readily by the camera lens.

This is my new little light, 45 watts:

Thanks very curios about cloning myself in dwc as I mainly grow dwc. No luck In any form of soil here :rolleyes: Its fine as long as I can do hydro right.
But yeah, I like how you got pictures with your cloning part. I’ve tried once, just a whole lot of tops wrapped in a neoprene collar and just floating on the surface. With some air stones. Didn’t take care of them as I was new and figured it wasn’t going to work. But when I checked on them two weeks later and looked at the dead plants I noticed little bulbs on the stems of What I thinks were the beginnings white nubby roots. So it got me thinking I was in the right direction , just not the right track.
For making clones. Your thoughts?
Sorry for the typos. On a phone.

Thanks very curios about cloning myself in dwc as I mainly grow dwc. No luck In any form of soil here :rolleyes: Its fine as long as I can do hydro right.
But yeah, I like how you got pictures with your coming part. I’ve tried once, just a whole lot of tops wrapped in a neoprene collar and just fooating on the surface. With some air stones. Didn’t take care of them as I was new and figured it wasn’t going to work. But when I checked on them two weeks later and looked at the dead plants I noticed little bulbs on the stems of What I thinks were the beginnings white nubby roots. So it got me thinking I was in the right direction , just not the right track.
For making clones. Your thoughts?
Ok. The net pots serve to hold the collars in the right position. The reason is, the clones need to be just touching the water. I check the water daily and change it when the ph is not stable and starts going down. The tops of the plants may show some distress as roots form. That’s ok so long as the plants stay hydrated.

Hmm so about how much of the stem Should be in water? Like inches or.
I get the collars needing to be in inserts now. Don’t want to drown the plant.
I got some rooting gel.
What ec and ph range do you usually keep them in?
would like to try cloning again. But I’m not 100% sure I’m going to do it right.
But seeing dwc cloning.
Such as yours.
That I can try.

Hmm so about how much of the stem Should be in water? Like inches or.
I get the collars needing to be in inserts now. Don’t want to drown the plant.
I got some rooting gel.
What ec and ph range do you usually keep them in?
would like to try cloning again. But I’m not 100% sure I’m going to do it right.
But seeing dwc cloning.
Such as yours.
That I can try.
The stems are just barely in the water. It doesn’t seem to matter how much. The nodes above will produce roots. I strive for 5.8 ph. The water is ph’d but only rapid start is necessary, or another root booster. I also use h202 and/or z7 enzymes.

I’ve got some rooting gel. So just dip the stem in to the gel. And place the tip of the stem in plain ph water, and the roots will form above this water line?
No nutes in the solution just ph? Sorry with the questions, just trying to clear up some grey areas on my end as your cloning worked.
I want to be sure I’m getting the whole picture before I cut something and place it in the wrong kind of water.

I’ve got some rooting gel. So just dip the stem in to the gel. And place the tip of the stem in plain ph water, and the roots will form above this water line?
No nutes in the solution just ph? Sorry with the questions, just trying to clear up some grey areas on my end as your cloning worked.
I want to be sure I’m getting the whole picture before I cut something and place it in the wrong kind of water.
Sorry this took awhile to see for answering. Been a tough few days here. But back on now.
You are really correct in your assessment, in that all you have to do is make sure the water is PH'd to below 6 (5.8 is good) and that the plant has nodes exposed to the spray. The two large airstones make the water mist below the cover.
It may take awhile. I've been trying to root Peppermint Kush clones for two weeks, but they are still alive and the water is good, so just waiting. In a day or two I'll see white roots. I just know it. LOL.
Patience is sometimes necessary. I have rooted plants in five days before, but it really depends on the strain how long it takes. My opinion.

Update
Two weeks into flower and the stretch is slowing down, and the colas are getting fat.
As I noted above, my clones are taking awhile to root, but I'm not giving up. One of the plants in my flowering tent was a clone that took its time.
Before flip, the plants were covered with preflowers. And now, after two weeks, buds have formed and are growing round. Please see photos below:

Sorry this took awhile to see for answering. Been a tough few days here. But back on now.
You are really correct in your assessment, in that all you have to do is make sure the water is PH'd to below 6 (5.8 is good) and that the plant has nodes exposed to the spray. The two large airstones make the water mist below the cover.
It may take awhile. I've been trying to root Peppermint Kush clones for two weeks, but they are still alive and the water is good, so just waiting. In a day or two I'll see white roots. I just know it. LOL.
Patience is sometimes necessary. I have rooted plants in five days before, but it really depends on the strain how long it takes. My opinion.

I have read some plants are very good rooters in their genes. Some not so much.
Lol
Some people are so advanced at growing they splice weak rooting plants onto strong ones and grow them that way.
Like right onto the root or something not sure how it’s done, I’m still in the stone ages of growing.
Your clones look very healthy, thank you for your time and cloning tips, very handy.

Back
Top Bottom