OK, the deed is done and I needed to change that res! Pulled it out and cleaned it good. It had some salt buildup, and sludge in the bottom, but not as much as without using the enzymes! So the enzymes helped a lot. We actually enjoyed doing it. The new water pump makes it go faster. Sometimes I wonder what the neighbors think when we string the effluent hose out the back porch and over the edge.
I got the PH to 5.76. It took some doing. I'm leaving it alone for now. I added back all the nutrients, being careful not to over do anything.
The plants are amazingly healthy and beautiful. Here's some pics:
Update: Plants have stretched a little more, but I think slowing down. Using a gallon of water a day - I am creating an excel file that keeps track of my grows. I will share when I’m done.
Buds are filling out. Pictures later! LOL
So yesterday I defoliated the plants below the canopy. I upped the nutrients, adding only enough to make up for the three gallons of water the res used between Saturday and then. Today I checked all my levels and they are 1290 for ppm and 5.78 for PH.
Yesterday when I did all this, I also saved cuttings for clones, and decided to do an experiment to see if I could be successful in rooting clones in my small tent. You see, it isn't time yet to begin the new seeds, if I go that route. But it is perfect for cloning. I've never done cannabis clones. I wanted to give myself time to sprout seeds if I need to, but in the meantime if my clones are successful, I can start my new grow in the large tent when the present grow ends. I'm making a new journal for my clone experiment.
Here are pictures of the tent before and after the defoliation, and some shots of how the buds looked today in the large tent. The bud development in one day is amazing.
I fixed the link to my cloning journal - and also want to add something here - I believe the addition of Kool Bloom powdered nutrient to be why the bud growth is so good. I upped this along with the other nutes yesterday - and think it may have had a difference.
I haven't looked at the plants since this morning - and they are now asleep, but they are looking good. Once I upload photos - I use an old digital SLR - I'll post some. Two days ago I removed a few fan leaves, but I haven't lollipopped them yet. The plants are using a gallon of water a day, and 10 percent of its nutrients a day. Which is correct, I think - but I realize now I should have changed my res more often on other grows, and been more cognizant of the ph, instead of letting it go down as the water degrades. I'm planning to change the res again this weekend. Thanks for the tips, and thanks for staying on top of me when I lagged behind!
Technically, when I defoliated under the canopy, I "lollipopped" them...but I consider true lollipopping to be when the fan leaves are mostly removed. Next week I plan to continue taking fan leaves off. But I want to change the res first.
Hey, guys! Hope everyone is staying happy and your cannabis is working!
Today I checked the water, etc. and everything is fine. PH is 5.8, PPM is 1190.
I haven't had to add more nutes yet, and I'm planning to change the res tomorrow, anyway.
So have a look:
My tent temp goes down from 68 in the night to 73 in the daytime. I'm keeping watch on this, because if the temp goes down further, I will be supplementing my tent with auxiliary heat. I have a pretty basic setup, with a milkhouse electric heater outside the tent, facing the intake air. I don't need it yet - but since the grow is in the basement under the stairs, the temp will fall to 58-61 if it gets cold. That is the underground temperature. Indicas love low temps, but these babies are sativa hybrids. Gotta keep 'em warm.
Every day I hope before I open the tent in the morning, that all will be well. Today it was! No changes, one gallon down, will add later. Not going to change res today because of a funeral I have to go to. When I get back, it will be asleep. So maybe tomorrow.
Changed the res this afternoon, and it did have some minor residue in the bottom.
So it was a good thing to have done. Added all nutrients and additives, plus enzymes and mycorrhizae. PPM is 990, PH was high, so added 10 ml of PH down. Later, it was just over six, so I added another dose of ph down. Tomorrow I will upload pictures and give an update.