Piranha's First Grow With Coco

Piranha

This is my first grow with coco, i have a few soil grows in the past with reasonable results i apologize in advanced for my bad grammar and punctuation.

Lets start with my setup

2013-12-15_08_13_40.jpg

2013-12-17_20_15_551.jpg

2013-12-17_20_10_371.jpg

2013-12-17_20_16_261.jpg

2013-12-17_20_07_491.jpg

2013-12-17_20_06_351.jpg

Strain Mazar (dutch passion seeds) from 7 year old mother
4 cuttings
3 survivors

Medium: Canna coco coir natural

Nutreients: Canna coco A+B
Canna Rhizatonic root boost

Water: Tap water ph 7

PH: Digital Meter with PH 4 and 7 for calibration

PPM/EC: no clue no meter yet

Grow Room: standard 1200mm x 1200mm tent with heavy duty steel corner inserts
100m celotex 1.2m x 1.2m base for tent floor insulation
60w tube heater with thermostat

Lights: Sunmaster Digital Variable FX 600w Grow Light Ballast Dimmable (660w 600w 400w 250w)
1x 250 Philips Powerplant Metal Halide
1x 400w Sunmaster MH Deluxe
1x 600w Sunmaster HPS Deluxe Duel Spectrum

Was gona just dim down 600w HPS for veg but found the following information from the sunmaster website.

* PLEASE NOTE: We do not recommend dimming a 600w lamp down to the lower settings! Always switch off your light, wait for your lamp to cool, remove and replace with one that matches the chosen dimmed wattage setting. This is due to the loss of PAR (Plant Useable) light output when lamps are run at lower wattages. For example, dimming a 600w lamp to 400w would be use 33% less power but would lose 50% of it's specified PAR output.

Airflow: Centrifugal Fan (Expensive) 500 M3/hr Passive airflow

Outside Tent Environment: Outdoor brick house double skin 2.5m x 2.5m insulated

Pots: 2.5l start pots and i have a choice of 2 pots i have 4x 25L and 6x 12L plastic airpots cant decide what to go with when i transfer i was originally planning on 4 plants in 25l pots open to suggestions here are the pots i have.
2013-12-17_20_11_461.jpg

When i received the clones they were in a serious condition my pal who gave me them had serious doubts about the survival of them they were in very small rockwool cubes and exposed to temperatures well under 10c.
I soaked the coco in a light nutrient solution at room temperature in 4x 2.5L pots and placed them under the 250w mh 2 foot away no PH adjustment at this point.

Day 3: one of the four died

Day 4: light watering around cubes coco still very moist no new growth

day 5: some small growth Was recommended rhizatonic from pal gave them full strength rhiz foliar spray coco still very moist

Day 6: Disaster from my own stupidity mixed half strength A+B From the bottle reading strength. full rhizatonic strength in and placed 250w mh light 150mm away from tops.

Day 7: well i fucked right up i burned those bitches Light was too close for over 12 hours then Recieved my ph meter that morning and tested the rhiz and A+B mix i gave them. PH was 8.2 thanks to the rhizatonic
immediate flush with PH 5.8 Rhizatonic no nutrients.

2013-12-15_08_10_56.jpg

2013-12-15_08_10_31.jpg

2013-12-15_08_10_271.jpg

day 8: after flush

day_8_161.jpg

day8_031.jpg

2013-12-15_08_10_171.jpg

day 12 now will post some more pics soon open to any suggestions this is my first grow with coco and all equipment and knowledge is brand new btw they seem to be pulling through a little.

thanks for looking

Re: Piranhas First Grow with coco

2 weeks in now plants seem to be recovering lots of new growth but they do seem rather wrinkled mabey from the high ph shock, burn and over fert. watered them last night with ph 5.8 half rhizatonic strength 10ml A 10ml B to 5 liters see I see some roots protruding from the bottom of the 2.5l pots.
Seemed to be okay this morning will post more pics soon.

2013-12-17_20_09_311.jpg

2013-12-17_20_09_26.jpg

I was debating if i should switch to 400w mh or stay with the 250w mh for few more days as i think this would still be good coverage for plants.
also i would like to keep electricity costs to a minimum without effecting potential growth.
any suggestions appreciated.

Yeah I like to feel the weight of the pots I know coco can be kept moist and watered every day buy It just don't feel right watering wet coco I nip some in my fingers and if I see a water film I leave it be.
Oh and I never topped my big plant in fimmed her.

Hows it going

Everything seems ok i transferred them to the 25L buckets last night (only 2 of them) the roots looked healthy the small cutting don't seem right shes still crinkled and small with clover like leaves if she pulls through might keep her as a mother.
think i am gonna just do the 2 with a lot of lst and hope for the best i am not naive in thinking ill get 150g per plant, 2 ounces a plant would make me happy.

Ill post more pics in a few days pointless atm with the transplant shock.

Looking good man. Once I figure out how to do DWC I wouldn't mind giving another medium a shot. Why did you pick coco?

a mate i know who has been growing for years swears by coco for ease of use hes tried hydroponics with good results and other mediums, i suppose i chose coco because i wanted hydro type control over my plants without the extra hassle you get from getting your hydro keyed in.
my mate has reused his last batch of coco more than 7 times just by washing it in his bath after harvest although i would not mind shot at DWC as iv seen some of the best looking plants from a DWC scrog.

a mate i know who has been growing for years swears by coco for ease of use hes tried hydroponics with good results and other mediums, i suppose i chose coco because i wanted hydro type control over my plants without the extra hassle you get from getting your hydro keyed in.
my mate has reused his last batch of coco more than 7 times just by washing it in his bath after harvest although i would not mind shot at DWC as iv seen some of the best looking plants from a DWC scrog.

No kidding? 7 times? That's interesting. I'll be following along here to see how you make out with this grow. DWC is interesting, it can be very touch and go, and when people talk about loving your plants to death, it's soooo easy to do that in DWC. I'm learning to just leave them alone now, whereas my first grow I was opening the door every thirty minutes to see if they were still alive and worrying about the small things too much.

Looking good. Hey did you have to rinse that coco ive been using G.H. bricks and forgot to rinse now got nthe salts.w babies all kinds of sick from s

i got canna brand and you don't need to wash it i think canna have a good reputation for coco being sterile and ready to use.
i just ordered a ppm meter and heavy duty timer think i am going to run the lights 20/4 and aim for the 1500ppm mark for the nutrients i don't even know if my water is hard or soft.

Back
Top Bottom