Pissponics and Aquaponics

Gavinsgardens

Hello guys .

has anyone experimented with their urine mixed with pot ash for their nutrients ?
can you sterilise your pee with h202 ?
could this by used in a hydro setup if the potash is finely filtered ?

Hello guys .

has anyone experimented with their urine mixed with pot ash for their nutrients ?
can you sterilise your pee with h202 ?
could this by used in a hydro setup if the potash is finely filtered ?
Anything is possible but why?

Spent a fortune on nutes from shogun , won’t be doing it again .
An interesting feature of permaculture came to light in my research that pee has been used for feeding plants as it provides a lot of nitrogen and other things , mixed With pot ash it wouldn’t cost anything .
just wondering had anyone experimented with this .?

Spent a fortune on nutes from shogun , won’t be doing it again .
An interesting feature of permaculture came to light in my research that pee has been used for feeding plants as it provides a lot of nitrogen and other things , mixed With pot ash it wouldn’t cost anything .
just wondering had anyone experimented with this .?
I have read about it here and there, just never needed to try it.

I’ve a small nursery and the fertilisers are super expensive here in Ireland . We are also stopping peat from being removed from our bogs .
This is going to open up a big marker for sustainability in gardening in general , more composting and reusing of substrates , doing this an organic but safe way is paramount to the permaculture way I’m trying to adopt , I want to Move away from chemicals like weed killers and petroleum based nutes .

I’ve a small nursery and the fertilisers are super expensive here in Ireland . We are also stopping peat from being removed from our bogs .
This is going to open up a big marker for sustainability in gardening in general , more composting and reusing of substrates , doing this an organic but safe way is paramount to the permaculture way I’m trying to adopt , I want to Move away from chemicals like weed killers and petroleum based nutes .
Makes sense now. :thumb: I miss the smell of peat.

This video is the most detailed I've seen on the subject I think the main problem is ammonification but he does reckon it's viable and has been done. The video is talking about soil based plants but I'm sure it would directly transfer to hydroponics.

The people who used to steal birth control pills and dissolve them into their plants' water "to get more females" used to do it, lol. I suppose you can take a daily multivitamin (extra points for chewing it up ;) ), wait three hours, urinate into a bucket, and fill the bucket up with water.

Be sure to follow all local laws in regards to full disclosure of using human waste to feed the plants in your nursery. Also, there might be a mandatory waiting period before use. In the USA, human waste has to sit one year before such use, if I remember correctly. That's generally composted fecal material - but I think the language is human waste, so it would apply to urine, too. I know you stated you are located in a different country, so your local rules and regulations may be different. The thought just occurred to me that storing urine in such a way that you can - and prove that you can - be assured that a particular... batch is at least as old as your local laws require might get somewhat unwieldy.

The real show-stopper for me (well... the second one; first being that I assume aged urine does not have a pleasant scent) is that, without lab testing each batch, there would be no real way to know exactly what's in it, even if you ate and drank exactly the same amounts of exactly the same things every day. Test kits for determining this, although not intended specifically for this application, lol, are available. However, I have never seen one that covers every element cannabis needs, they're not exactly cheap, and the one I had - which came from a municipal wastewater treatment plant's laboratory, so it can be assumed that the purchaser was not buying the cheapest one available - was not all that exact. It was like the non-mechanical pH test kits, and each entry was a (quite wide, for our application) range. As opposed to informing you that the sample contains 102 parts per million of calcium, for example.

By the way, I glanced at the Shogun Fertilizers website, and it greatly reminds me of Advanced Nutrients. Ergo, I am wholly unsurprised by your report that their products are expensive. Perhaps, instead of going to a do-it-yourself nutrient program that'll likely require some complicated storage plan, piss (lol) off some of your customers, be inconsistent in regards to content, and leave you wondering exactly what that content is... you would be better off to simply choose a different brand. While this is not a recommendation, as Scotts Miracle-Gro bought the company and I cannot recommend anyone give that entity money... General Hydroponics' three-part Flora Series is inexpensive (and good). It is also available in six-gallon containers (on Amazon, for a USA customer, the FloraBloom component so YMMV) for just $138.10, which works out to a mere $5.74 per (US) quart - which is a significant savings in comparison to buying it by the quart. They also sell it in larger quantities, either a 35- or 50-gallon barrel, and by the pallet, which might have some appeal if your small nursery isn't all that small (or you don't mind storing it), and it becomes even cheaper when buying it in bulk. Their dry two-part Maxi series is available in 2.2-pound sacks, 16-pound jugs, 50-pound buckets, and larger quantities, and it's extremely inexpensive, compared to most other brands. They also have a commercial line, with more products (both liquid and dry) which will come in various sizes, for example 25-pound sack of dry (granular) nutrients. The stuff is probably so cheap because it's a general purpose nutrient brand that's marketed to cannabis growers, home gardeners, and farmers, and has been in existence for decades. You can easily tailor your feed to suit your plants - and you'll know exactly what you're feeding them... regardless of what you eat. JR Peters, Inc., started by Bob Peters in 1947 (and still run by his son, Jack, if I'm not mistaken), has a huge number of products, so you can put together a pretty exact set of nutrients with this brand, too (or you can use one of the common cannabis recipes). These are dry products, and are also pretty inexpensive. The company, like General Hydroponics, has products intended for commercial/farm use as well as home gardening, so you'll be able to purchase in whatever quantity you need, to save money.

There are other brands available that are like those two, high quality and inexpensive. Because they're not "cannabis products" - they're for feeding plants. General Hydroponics has been and is used by universities, has been used by NASA, et cetera. So it's probably safe to use on your plants :D .

Back
Top Bottom