Pj's Perpetual: Take Two

Thanks for stopping in Amy! Been loving your journal. Very informative.

the next few pics were taken friday, one thing i know for sure is that i suck at taking pictures of cannabis lol everyone makes it look so easy!

in hindsight, i wish i had done way more defoiling in the first few weeks of flower especially since my light isnt anywhere near intense enough to power through to the lower stuff. Be lots of flakey buds for butter or oils or whatever i want to try...

I was considering harvesting the taller colas and lowering the light for another week maybe 2, but looking into my little veg cab, some of the clones look like they are getting rootbound, or deficient in nitrogen... Perhaps a little of both... So i think i will just chop them at 60days (4/20 woo woo) so that i can up pot a few clones into the same pots the big girls are in and let them veg for 2-4 weeks so i can train them and get the closet runnin smoothly... Not sure what im goingto do about up potting seedlings yet... Going to have to take some measurements and see if i can get any square pots that will give me the best usable space out of what ive got to work with... Killer queens have very long legs but the fan is on them blasting them in hopes of making some thick trunks.

:thanks:for stopping by!

Looks like a good harvest coming up Pj. :goodjob: :Namaste:

Thanks brightlight! I am looking forward to it, just need to keep my itchy trigger finger at bay long enough... Lol

btw not sure if you saw my post in vans journal(that place moves quick), over on shn, duke diamond has opened his vault to try and raise money for his mother with alzheimers, has a bunch of unreleased genetics and some rare ones going to auction only... Just incase you were in the market! I see a few neat ones id love to get my hands on, but money isnt my friend at this particular moment.

Thx Pj.....yes I did see those. Tempted by his Space Queen "re-make"......love Romulan. Held off for now. Plan is to only go after "targeted" genetics this year, but already 7 packs this year in less than 4 mos. :p

lol the temptation is tough to resist isn't it?
:p i believe coastal seed co had some romulan they were working with, hopefully a bx ... I had the chance to try some..supposedly.. Was very nice smoke if it was haha

Today is day 52... I think, havent checked lol... Took these last night.. Getting very close now... Going to try to hold off chopping for a few more days i think...

thanks for stopping by!
:thanks::passitleft:

update! Post 420 harvest!

first thing i have to note is how light and fluffy the lower buds are. Not surprising considering i dont have the most intense light source, my canopy was extremely uneven, and i really did not feed them at all other than water and whatever the soil had to offer.

that being said, i dont think they turned out all that shabby considering....

PRE-CHOP

Being the stoner that i am, i got busy working at trimming, my phone was no where to be seen, so i didnt even think to grab pictures of them all trimmed up until i was finishing up on the last one. Here is the topped lady in all her glory!

PRE-CHOP TRIM

so they are all cut and hung to dry... Ill add some more pics tonight of them, as well as whats been moved around in the closet! Hope everyones have a great green day!

I think if you work on better space utilization and canopy control, you will be ready for some really improved harvests.

You don't need a bunch of bottled shit to grow good plants. Good soil, clean healthy water and decent light and environment and your stuff will be just what you want.

Don't buy into the hype you need this bottle of this new product and that bottle of this enhancer. My goal is to get to where I don't have a bottle of anything in the house.

Start thinking about training as you best friend.

What Stank said! Well done PJ, congrats on the harvest.

A good way to not have fluffy buds down low is to keep them to a minimum. Trim off stuff that's not going to be productive so the plant can concentrate on the flowers that are productive and closer to the light source.

That said... if there's enough light intensity, the lower buds will be OK - I actually prefer to smoke the lower stuff when the flowers are just harvested or freshies. It's a little smoother tasting.

Translocation is a thing - which is the plants ability to move nutrients around where she needs them, and down low they will get some nutrients just have to limit the amount of the little stuff down low so she doesn't re-direct too much energy away from the main colas.

Thats the down side of too long a veg. We end up with too much low down LAF - all that needs to be done is trim most of it off and thin out the insides between colas. More flowers less leaves.

We get a feel for it as we gain more experience. I'm still learning... hopefully I won't ever stop learning. Hanging here, lots of great growers sharing and we all learn from each other.

Congrats on the harvest... smoke em if ya got em! :passitleft:

A Few Days Later

i am fairly impressed with what is coming from these ladies. Stinking up the house thats for sure, going to start trimming and jarring tonight, they are ready. Have not yet tried any... Have some bc kings kush from a friend thats very tasty so its been helping me fight the temptation to indulge:cool:

Coming Up Next

the next 3 ladies to get their chance are going to be the clones of the topped lavenderxp75. I managed to get 4 clones off of her and two clones off of the untopped girl. Will update on the veg box later though.

so all i did was pick the worst 3 looking clones to up pot. I ripped the stalks and roots of the old plants out, stuck my hands in as far as i could and turned the soil to break it up and make it loose. I did leave it for 24hrs just to settle before planting. Then i took out the babies, removed them from their solo cups, gave the roots at the bottom a shake as they were a little root bound, dug holes, planted and covered. I did add about a cup of pure hen manure to each plant as they seem to be a bit nitrogen? Defecient. It is water soluble so releases when watered. Gave them a good watering and put them on 18/6under the T5, probably going to be 2-3weeks before they are ready to flip again. Hopefully in future this time frame will shorten as i get better.

oh and you will see my cool double stalk clone... Not sure how it happened but ive got two plants in one, love it!
:passitleft:

I think if you work on better space utilization and canopy control, you will be ready for some really improved harvests.

You don't need a bunch of bottled shit to grow good plants. Good soil, clean healthy water and decent light and environment and your stuff will be just what you want.

Don't buy into the hype you need this bottle of this new product and that bottle of this enhancer. My goal is to get to where I don't have a bottle of anything in the house.

Start thinking about training as you best friend.
What Stank said! Well done PJ, congrats on the harvest.

A good way to not have fluffy buds down low is to keep them to a minimum. Trim off stuff that's not going to be productive so the plant can concentrate on the flowers that are productive and closer to the light source.

That said... if there's enough light intensity, the lower buds will be OK - I actually prefer to smoke the lower stuff when the flowers are just harvested or freshies. It's a little smoother tasting.

Translocation is a thing - which is the plants ability to move nutrients around where she needs them, and down low they will get some nutrients just have to limit the amount of the little stuff down low so she doesn't re-direct too much energy away from the main colas.

Thats the down side of too long a veg. We end up with too much low down LAF - all that needs to be done is trim most of it off and thin out the insides between colas. More flowers less leaves.

We get a feel for it as we gain more experience. I'm still learning... hopefully I won't ever stop learning. Hanging here, lots of great growers sharing and we all learn from each other.

Congrats on the harvest... smoke em if ya got em! :passitleft:

thanks to you both! Appreciate the comments, definitely learned alot from every grow ive done, this one by far the most successful so far.

i do have some bottles of dutch pros nutrients thatbi bought like 5yrs ago with the t5 light... Only one i have opened was the rooting hormone for clones... But ive got some aloe plants growing for the future. I hope to never use bottles of anything, perhaps ill run a comparison with what ive got someday, but i really just want to set up a solid perpetual system and run through lots of strains so i can determine what i would like to grow/breed... With the way legal weed seems to be going i want to keep a good supply of some genetics around... Just my hunch, gmo weed once big pharma gets their hands in it.

training and translocation... Two very important words as i move forward. Definitely needed to trim off the laf and thin out in between the colas... Thanks for that @bobrown14.... Alot of this fluffy stuff could have made bigger colas, eapecially since with limited light.

Training i will be doing more of, i think lst more than topping... I am interested to see final weights and whether topped or untopped weighed more... I really loved the au naturale stature of the untopped, and i think with more light intensity it would have really out performed the topped girl.

since i am a little tight for money right now, and a timber would kill me with exchange and fees, i was looking at getting some of these to replace the 5yr old bulbs in my light, thinking because i have 6bulbs to go 4full spectrum and 2 reds for flower... T5 LED Retrofit Bulbs - Grow Light Bulbs - Grow Lights ... Also thinking i am going to top dress the clones with some EWC tonight, hopefully help them perk up a bit..... Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!

You can top and LST. They work very well in conjunction with each other. I would start with LST to try and get the side branching into some decent light and then hit her with a topping to send the signal for all the other shoots to take off. You will see an explosion of growth.

Not to disagree with Van & bob as both good guys & growers, but I'm all organic & have been for a decade. Can still mix soil with the best but switched back to low soil ppm over high ppm organic mixes. Most organic mixes run high ppm. Works fine but our plant prefers much lower nutrient levels in soil. Health & yield are impacted. Harvest times extended due to slowed plant metabolism. I still mix mild soil & augment with "bottles"......but use only pre-digested fully organic ingredients. Plus I use heavy amts. of aminos & enzymes mostly offered via liquids in bottles. I've re-evaluated each organic ingredient I've used (& still have) to see what should stay & what should go...even if organic. E.g., every organic & even non-organic grower thinks EWC is about as good as it gets. Lots of benefits but few know that EWC ingredients are mostly all in nitrate forms, which I avoid. I also soil test for ppm & pH regularly, which is blasphemous to many organic growers. So find your own way if you are going to grow organically.....many ways to do it. :Namaste:

Not to disagree with Van & bob as both good guys & growers, but I'm all organic & have been for a decade. Can still mix soil with the best but switched back to low soil ppm over high ppm organic mixes. Most organic mixes run high ppm. Works fine but our plant prefers much lower nutrient levels in soil. Health & yield are impacted. Harvest times extended due to slowed plant metabolism. I still mix mild soil & augment with "bottles"......but use only pre-digested fully organic ingredients. Plus I use heavy amts. of aminos & enzymes mostly offered via liquids in bottles. I've re-evaluated each organic ingredient I've used (& still have) to see what should stay & what should go...even if organic. E.g., every organic & even non-organic grower thinks EWC is about as good as it gets. Lots of benefits but few know that EWC ingredients are mostly all in nitrate forms, which I avoid. I also soil test for ppm & pH regularly, which is blasphemous to many organic growers. So find your own way if you are going to grow organically.....many ways to do it. :Namaste:

sheesh... Thanks bl! I have so much to learn... What you mentioned about lower ppms makes sense... It is a weed, probably grow in the crack on a sidewalk given a chance... Especially when i think about all the hydro growers who use nutes at 1/4strength or what have you.

do you have any books/resources you can point me in the right direction too? Or have you learnt this all through trial and error? Organic is definitely the way i want to go, theres just a million and 3 ways to go about it.

ill add some pics below... My soil mix for the last run was a 50/50 split of the two types of soil... Around the 4 week mark, i added about a TBSP of the veggie 4-6-8 fert to each plant.

now for the new run, i just broke up all that soil and replanted the clones into it, gave them a handful of hen manure each and watered. Over the last 3 days ive noticed they are getting darker again, and the new growth is becoming much more active, so hopefully they will regain their legs and explode soon....if you have any opinion on the soil im using please share! Constructive criticism is my bread and butter!

Do you use ACTs?? I was going to give them a go this time around, but i do not want to over do it.... So many decisions to be made.... I just go with my gut for the most part, keep it simple stupid.

i really wish we could all get together for a big 420 forums collab... Would love to sit and smoke with everyone and listen/learn/pick peoples brains about this awe inspiring plant!

veg update coming soon!

I'm organic because working with bottles and nutrients pre-made is WAY above my pay grade.

I am however results oriented. Will give Bravo job well done, all around for sure.

Steer clear of the tomato ferts ... because containers.. unless your growing outdoors then pour away!

Topped vs not topped.

There's a difference you can see in the pics!

Steer clear of the tomato ferts ... because containers.. unless your growing outdoors then pour away!

Topped vs not topped.

There's a difference you can see in the pics!

steering clear! Thanks for the warning, will save for veggie gardens.... If you were in my shoes, what would you do to get your little ladies perked up and happy again? Will add pic below as i can already see them regaining some life, leaves darker, praying up to the light...

if i am not mistaken, @bobrown14, I believe you are a fan of the natural flowering shape? I havent got around to checking final weights yet, im just curious what your far more experienced eyes have seen, in terms of yield nattural vs training?

@brightlight @Van Stank

just figured i would tag you guys... Ever seen a little one do this?!?!

normal killer queen below

group shot below

Whorled phyllotaxy is a relatively common cannabis mutation, and causes three leaves to grow from each node rather than the usual two. Along with the extra leaf, an extra branch is also generated at each node, meaning that plants with whorled phyllotaxy often grow extra bushy!

Back
Top Bottom