PlanetaryHerb's Soil Grow 2.0 - Mystery Seeds - T5's - 600W HPS - Perpetual

Re: PlanetaryHerb's Soil Grow 2.0 - (Mystery Seeds, T5's, 600W HPS, Perpetual)

hope everything is going well, what other lights are u working with besides the t5? you should consider getting a single MH opposed to a bunch of CFLs for your veg. it seems like it would be harder to direct the light of all those individual bulbs than a single one with a more even footprint. I've noticed them MH lights create some tighter internodes too if your able to control the temp and slam em

Hi there! Here is my response to your question on the first page. Hope this helps.

:welcome:, and thank you! The lights over the seedlings is a T5 panel with four 2 foot tubes rated at 8000 lumens by Hydrofarm. If you want to check out my first grow, there is a link in my signature, I started out using two 600 watt MH's on that grow. However, I've learned that seedlings don't require that much light and it's a lot more expensive to run those. So this grow I will be using the T5 panel for seedlings/clones and will be getting a 200 watt fluorescent bulb for veg to help cut down on cost. Then they will be moved into the flower tent which will be lit by a 600 watt HPS.

:peace:

Hi there! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

This is the update I said I would do last night. The seedlings are looking great. I'm planning on transplanting them either the 15th or the 16th, but we will see how things are going.

Day 11 from seed

IMG_131019.JPG
IMG_131114.JPG
IMG_131211.JPG
IMG_131313.JPG
IMG_131513.JPG
IMG_131614.JPG
IMG_131716.JPG

Late bloomer going strong.

IMG_13148.JPG

Today is week 2 from seed. I'm going to try to transplanted sometime within the next week. I'm going to go to the hydro store today too see if they have the bulb I want. I already checked 1 and they only had the 125 watt cfls so hopefully the other one has the 200 watt I'm looking for. If they don't I'm going to go ahead and order it today on 2 day shipping and hope it makes it here in one piece. Once they have been transplanted I will be starting them on a 1/4 dose of the Earth Juice Grow on the second watering. I will update later on the bulb situation. That's it for now.

2 weeks ago today.

IMG_12979.JPG
IMG_12984.JPG

Today

IMG_131813.JPG
IMG_131911.JPG
IMG_132015.JPG
IMG_132112.JPG
IMG_13229.JPG
IMG_132311.JPG
IMG_132618.JPG
IMG_132513.JPG
IMG_132713.JPG

Little one still catching up.

IMG_13249.JPG

looking awesome mate, they've really taken off! i've noticed the purple stems on a couple of em... is that a natural occurrence or an indication of N deficiency? mine are about a week from seed now and i'm experience purple stems on my seedlings as well. Perhaps the strain maybe? but i feel like its still too early to show characteristics

looking awesome mate, they've really taken off! i've noticed the purple stems on a couple of em... is that a natural occurrence or an indication of N deficiency? mine are about a week from seed now and i'm experience purple stems on my seedlings as well. Perhaps the strain maybe? but i feel like its still too early to show characteristics

Thanks dabmonster! I'm not really sure what's causing the purple stems on the seedlings. However, I don't think it's a deficiency of any sort because the leaves look just fine. I also found this on another page on the site, it might help shed some light on the topic.

DO NOT PANIC. A seedlings purple stem doesn’t necessarily indicate an unhealthy plant. Please take the following possibilities into consideration:

1 - Purple Stems could be a result of that wonderful thing we call genetics, if this is the reason, you are to expect a purple stem throughout the life of the plant. It must be noted that purple stems aren’t a dominant trait, and are rarely genetically induced.

2 - A baby sprout with a purple stem is almost always 100% natural. Young seedlings are still adjusting to their environment and may be slightly lacking in a Nutrient. If this is the case, healthy plants will regain their green/greenish-brown color within a few days to a week or two.

3 - If you have ruled out the possibilities of genetics and the seedlings adjustments to life, you should begin looking for a nutrient deficiency. Purple stems are commonly caused by a Phosphorous (P) or Magnesium deficiency, if there is a P deficiency you may also notice symptoms such as brittle leaves or greyish spots. To assist the uptake of Phosphorous (as well as most other nutes) you should ensure the pH is slightly acidic-- 6.0 will suffice.

Author: KidKind

Ok, after doing some more research and reading and talking to the guys up at the hydro store I decided that I'm going to trash the plans to use the CFL bulb and just go ahead and use the MH set-up I already have with the 250 W MH bulb. I should have it set-up within the next couple days and have the seedlings transplanted by this weekend.

Well I was off work today bored with nothing to do so I decided to go ahead and start updating the tent to get it ready for the next phase of the grow. I will be transplanting within the next week and then will begin to start more seedlings a couple weeks after to continue with the plans of making this a perpetual grow. Here's what I have done so far.

IMG_132816.JPG
IMG_132912.JPG
IMG_133012.JPG
IMG_13319.JPG
IMG_133213.JPG
IMG_133316.JPG
IMG_133416.JPG
IMG_133512.JPG
IMG_133610.JPG

Plants are lookin' good. :yummy:

One question for you: How do you plan on transplanting from that container with all 10 of them to something smaller? I was going to just use dirt in my tray like you did, but then I ended up going with rapid rooters because I thought it would be easier to transplant. I would rather use dirt if I could figure out a good way to to get one out at a time without destroying the others in the process (trying to flip it upside down, etc).

Plants are lookin' good. :yummy:

One question for you: How do you plan on transplanting from that container with all 10 of them to something smaller? I was going to just use dirt in my tray like you did, but then I ended up going with rapid rooters because I thought it would be easier to transplant. I would rather use dirt if I could figure out a good way to to get one out at a time without destroying the others in the process (trying to flip it upside down, etc).

Thanks! I've never actually grown seedlings in a tray like this that I have had to transplant them out of, but I have bought plants that come in trays like this that you have to pull out to plant. My plan is to just water them really well, squeeze around the sides the tray a little bit, then just pull them out. I'm hoping they will be rooted enough that they well slide out of each little holder pretty easily. But we will see once I actually start doing it.

Well whatever you do, be really careful! I accidentally dropped one of my 1 week old plants during transplant and thought I had killed it. After getting replanted without any root system, it is now like 4 inches with 4 nodes at a month old.

Well whatever you do, be really careful! I accidentally dropped one of my 1 week old plants during transplant and thought I had killed it. After getting replanted without any root system, it is now like 4 inches with 4 nodes at a month old.

Note taken! I'm hoping the soil keeps them stuck in place enough to the point they wont fall out until I squeeze around each individual seedling as I get ready to remove it from the tray. But if I have to I'll just use something to stick through each drainage hole in the bottom of the tray to just push them up out of it before I attempt to turn the whole tray completely upside in an effort to get them out.

I decided to go ahead a transplant the seedlings tonight. I did it close to lights off so that the plants would have time to recover. I got carried away and forgot to take pics until I was on the very last on which of course was the runt of the bunch. You could see the roots coming out of the ball of dirt on all of them. They were actually really easy to transplant once I figure out what to do after the first attempt. I had read to soak them before removing them to transplant, but I tried that on the first one and the roots weren't strong enough to hold all the soggy dirt together and it was all falling apart as I tried to remove it but I managed to get it transplanted. After that I just stuck my finger up through the hole in the bottom while they were still dry and they pushed right out perfectly with all the dry dirt holding itself together. It made transplanted them into their new 1 gallon smart pots a breeze :). Unfortunately my 250 watt MH was burnt out and I had to go to hydro store and buy a replacement bulb. After everything was said and done I got them all nice and tidy in their new homes and under a brand new MH over two feet above them for now. I have the inline fan as low as it will go and its still wanting to suck the doors in haha. I open both the vent and that helps a little, but I'm hoping once I have the flower tent set up and the blower working for both tents that then a lot of the strain will be taken off of this one. 2 new seeds will be planted on the August 27th to replace the 2 plants that will be going into the flower tent 3 weeks later September 17th.

Hopefully they start taking off now that they have more space and more powerful lighting, but enough of the talk on to the pics...

The runt getting transplanted.

IMG_133716.JPG
IMG_133811.JPG
IMG_133921.JPG

New environment

IMG_134015.JPG

IMG_134115.JPG
IMG_134214.JPG
IMG_134318.JPG
IMG_134421.JPG
IMG_134516.JPG
IMG_134616.JPG
IMG_134716.JPG
IMG_134816.JPG
IMG_134918.JPG

Nice looking babies before you know it you will have some full figured girls in the house

Alright, so the end of week 3 was yesterday. I took pics and uploaded them, but became to busy to finish the post so I'm doing it now. They are all doing well under the 250W MH. They really didn't seem to miss a beat even after transplant. As you can probably see from a couple of the pics below that the cotyledon leafs on a couple of the plants are beginning to yellow. I will be starting them on 1/4 strength nutes with the EarthJuice Grow in the next watering which will be either tomorrow or Friday.

Week #3, Day 21 from seed.

IMG_135010.JPG
IMG_135112.JPG
IMG_135210.JPG
IMG_135312.JPG
IMG_135410.JPG
IMG_135513.JPG
IMG_135615.JPG
IMG_135712.JPG
IMG_135817.JPG
IMG_135912.JPG
IMG_136013.JPG
IMG_136115.JPG

Today the plants got their first dose of 1/4 strength nutes. They are really starting to pick up pace so I'm I'm anxious to see how they do in the next couple of days after this feeding. Also can someone here let me know when it is best to start topping plants? How many nodes should there be below the cut off point?

Thanks for any info!

Hi Planet, from the info that I've found, and my own experience, I've started topping at 4th or 5th node. seedlings are looking good.;)

Back
Top Bottom