Planning 1st Time - Small Tower Closet Conversion?

Yatti420

Hello All,

I am new here. I am in the process of planning my 1st grow.. I have little\no supplies at the moment. (Few low watt cfl bulbs for around the appt..) (entire appt is already on cfl entirely)

I want to turn something like this small area of space.
IMG_22121.jpg

Preferably into a relatively concealed operation with very little if any smell emerging.. I guess I will need some sort of door there aswell.. Sliding doors would then move infront of all.. I am on a fairly tight budget and don't want to be over investing.. Shelving is removable.. Roughly 50cm across without the shelving holder things.. 47cm with them..

I was thinking a 2 compartment setup type.. Maybe bottom with lights 24\7.. Up top can be used for big stuff.. When shelving is flush with the holders there is about an inch gap in the back..

https://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I3635014/name/fixture_flrscnt_strip_light_18?

I have 6 sockets in the room on its on circuit back to the panel for the appt. Unfortunately nowhere near the closet.. I can run extension cords I guess..

Would egnough of these lights work? The reason being I dont think I have egnough room for anything else..

Maybe with some high wattage CFLs aswell added in aswell?

On a side note I am running a crap load of computers for Stanford's Folding @ Home project.. I guess ill be shutting a few of those off to compensate for increased power usage etc..

In my opinion, I wouldnt use those lights. I would just invest in some 42 watt CFLs they cost about 10$ each. or you could go with a BUNCH of 23 watts which iv found to be as cheap as 1$/a piece. Your closet looks like it could possibly work but your going to have a few problems. Venting and heat. Luckily CFLS dont use to much heat so you wont be too bad there, but if your really hoping for this to be odorless you have a problem. There are a few techniques in keeping the odor to a minimum but they require expensive machines or ionizers etc etc. The cheapest way to to attach a carbon scrubber to your venting system, but that would mean you will need to set up a venting system. Im no expert on all this stuff but if you do some reading on this site you will become quite knowledgeable. As for the outlets, just get one extension cord in there and get a power strip. You should be alright with just that, if you realllllly need it then get two power strips. Also look into investing in some timers, there like 5-10$ and they are pretty essential because you want your plants to have the same 18/6 20/4 or 12/12 cycle every day. So even if your going 24/0 for veg once you go to flowering 12/12 i would suggest getting that timer. Not sure how much help this was to you but good luck man, cant wait to see what your closet looks like in the future!

P.S. As a side note, you might want to try and do some research into a strain that doesnt get very bushy. Preferably you will probably want something with 100% or a higher % Sativa. Im sure there are ways to make the plant grow more vertically but thats just something to think about. Also you wont get as much bud production from the sides if you have all the lights up top so if your using CFLS i suggest having some on the sides of the plant as well. But becareful not to burn your plants so you will have to judge yourself whether or not it looks safe to have bulbs there (for your wall and your plants, dont want to burn a hole in ur wall heh)

Well yeah, generally CFLS are just used as lighting for underneath the plant and on the sides and then you have your HID light set up on top. But for us poormen CFLS can be used for everything =). Glad I could help.

Hi all...

@Racefan
I've been reading that thread.. Some very interesting stuff..

@Sportsman

Venting system is gonna be tricky espescially trying to conceal everything.. Heat will naturally end up at the top.. and vented somehow.. Smell would become an issue eventually im sure..

Materials I Have So Far..

1 Oscillating Fan

SYLVANIA - 4x 13w - 120V - 60hz - 0.22A - 3000K Colour -
CF13EL/SuperMiniTwists - LUMENS = 880/BULB - FLOWER

PHILIPS MARATHON - 2x 15W - 120V - -60HZ - 220Ma - Mini Decorative Twisters- SOFT WHITE COLOUR - VEG

Bulbs are already installed around appt..

Various Extension Cords and taps.. Ill be picking up some new surge protectors soon..

Baseboard heater in room installed to regulate heat.. window as well (although its winter)..

Any ideas for mounting bulbs in there.. I do have a Rubbermaid container which is practically perfect size for the bottom area.. Ive seen Y adapters for lights and such.. Not sure how im going to approach this quite yet.. I may purchase a 400w grow bulb but then I need a fixture etc assuming it will fit in that space..

Whats up man....Hippie here....new here too. The light thing will always be an issue depending on who you talk to. As far as the closet you got.... take the first two top shelfs space and turn that into a vag. area, clones, and seedling action. The top then would deffinatly work on cfl, keep the light seperate from the flowing room you will make down low. As for the door you can use as little as thick black plastic with velcrove attached to shut it ( Mr. Green props there). CFLs dont use crap for energy as far as noticing it on the meter or anything like that. Dont wory with hooking up with a "foxtail" strain though...I would shoot for something like a "lowrider" strain as far as the room you have for her too grow. peace.... :) (sorry for bad spelling....I am just a hippie :)

Ya.... I forget the name...it is like heavy duty yard waste bags, that thick. and then just put strips of velcro down both sides and just keep enough hanging so you can put something heavy on the bottom to seal it off. When you need to go in, just roll it up too the seiling and tie it off!!!! sweet and cheep...more money for a sack while your waiting for the "GOoD" to grow. :)

Ya.... I forget the name...it is like heavy duty yard waste bags, that thick. and then just put strips of velcro down both sides and just keep enough hanging so you can put something heavy on the bottom to seal it off. When you need to go in, just roll it up too the seiling and tie it off!!!! sweet and cheep...more money for a sack while your waiting for the "GOoD" to grow. :)

Awesome Ill Look Into That!..

Back
Top Bottom