Planning first grow. have a few questions

manje28

Hi all. Love this site. I've learned a lot here. I'm planning to set up my first grow. I have a space about 3' x 4' x about 14 inches deep. I was planning on using the scrog method since I'll only be able to grow a couple plants. noise and odor have me concerned. I have to get it right the first time or my stealth operation will be over. (I have room mates who like to talk). I also have an old refrigerator that I want to house my mother plant in and then grow clones since seed are hard to come by. I have 150w hps to use in the fridge for the mother and a 4" inline fan that is noisy as heck but I think I can quiet it down by encasing it and sticking it in the freezer. do I need to worry about odor from plants that aren't flowering? not sure if I need a carbon filter on the fridge.
on my main cabinet I plan to use a 400w hps/mh and was planning to use a quiet bathroom fan pulling through a can carbon filter. Is 400w overkill? does anyone have any experience using bathroom fans for ventilation? I plan to pull through the filter as I've read it's more effective.
my last question (for now :) is when the lights are off and the fans not kicking on as often do I need to worry about odor seeping out through my fresh air intake? I was thinking about putting a carbon filter on my intake as well. overkill?
Lastly I was planning on (attempting) to clone in the same space I have my mother plant. is that too much light/heat to try and clone in? after reading about cloning I'm wondering if I need to set up another space for the clones using a cfl.
I appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks

Hi Manje28 :welcome:

Clones and seedlings do not need a lot of light.

30 watt warm white cfls are fine

Filter the intake.

150 Hps would be good to start with as well.

Don't worry about the smell yet, but do have a fan for blowing the air around inside.

Keep it Simple.

Grow with the grow and start a journal soon :thumb:

Hi Ricorico, Thanks for the reply. did you mean I should use the 150w hps in my main cabinet? Not sure if the 400w is gonna be too big for 2 plants in that small of a space.

Hello manje28, you don't need to much worry about that odor from plants is a normal thing, does not affect the flowering, but you know fridge is not good for the ventilation system, you need to keep it ventilate, if not plants is easy get hurt because it can not be cooling. 400w for your space is a little high, you should make good your ventilation first. for cloning small power light is enough about 30~40w it is fine. Hope it can help:;):

manje, take Ricorico's advice to heart bud, that man knows his stuff. he is helping me through my first grow.. i am so confident in what he teaches that i pass his info on to others. and if i dont know the answer, i either link him to the thread or ask him so i know and then i post it.. he is a great teache and a seasoned grower with great experience and seemingly unending knowledge

Thanks for all the advice. I'll stick with the 150w for now. After more research I've also decided to just grow from seeds for this first grow. I'll learn about cloning next time around. Plus I'll only need to build out one cabinet to start with. Probably use the fridge. just have to get ventilation figured out on it. Gonna work on it tomorrow. I'll be posting a journal once I get things going.

:thumb: subscribed, waiting for your journal...

Back
Top Bottom