Planning to start first grow - Need help with tent dimensions for small stealth grow!

mackdaddyerb

Hey guys,

I am planning to build my first grow setup

I want it to be as stealthy as possible because I live in a shared accommodation. This means little smell, noise and space obstruction

I plan to setup the grow tent in my wardrobe with a MARS LED (not completely sure which model yet - potentially the mars 2 400w but maybe this is too much but does allow for expansion later)
Mountain Air 4/6" carbon filter
Regular hydroponics 6" inline fan (I plan to purchase the Vortex s-line 600 in the future with speed controller for very quiet setup).

I plan on growing 1-2 auto flowering plants for personal use.

The main problem is that my wardrobe is only 55cm deep or 22" which is really restricting the tent size I can go for. Annoyingly it is just short of 60cm depth which their seems to be a lot more choice for. So here is the problem I face:

Would I be better off with:

A

40cm x 40cm x 120cm (possibly 140cm option) allowing less width but more height
Or
50cm x 50xm x 100cm which allows greater width but what seems to be very short amount of growing height taking into consideration the plant pot, LED and carbon filter

Will these restrict yield or be fine for auto flowering seeds? I saw a thread elsewhere where someone had the 50x50x100 for a single plant, but he had to LST the plant later on to stop it touching the light. I have heard that LST autos isn't the best idea>?

The tent I originally planned on getting was this:

Mars II 400 LED Grow Light Veg Flower Hydro Plant +70x70x160cm Indoor Grow Tent | eBay

but after checking my wardrobe I realise it is too big. (shame because this tent seems to tick all the boxes)

Should I focus on getting a bigger wardrobe and stick with my original tent option?

I want to rely on this tent setup for consistent personal supply, should I instead focus on two plants? or achieving a great yield with one carefully chosen auto strain?

Thanks for reading this and for any input you can offer :)

Cheers! :)

Re: Planning to start first grow. Need help with tent dimensions for small stealth gr

Hey guys,

I want it to be as stealthy as possible because I live in a shared accommodation. This means little smell, noise and space obstruction

I plan to setup the grow tent in my wardrobe with a MARS LED (not completely sure which model yet - potentially the mars 2 400w but maybe this is too much but does allow for expansion later)
Regular hydroponics 6" inline fan (I plan to purchase the Vortex s-line 600 in the future with speed controller for very quiet setup).

The main problem is that my wardrobe is only 55cm deep or 22" which is really restricting the tent size I can go for. Annoyingly it is just short of 60cm depth which their seems to be a lot more choice for. So here is the problem I face:

A

Or
50cm x 50xm x 100cm which allows greater width but what seems to be very short amount of growing height taking into consideration the plant pot, LED and carbon filter

Will these restrict yield or be fine for auto flowering seeds? I saw a thread elsewhere where someone had the 50x50x100 for a single plant, but he had to LST the plant later on to stop it touching the light. I have heard that LST autos isn't the best idea>?

Mars II 400 LED Grow Light Veg Flower Hydro Plant +70x70x160cm Indoor Grow Tent | eBay

but after checking my wardrobe I realise it is too big. (shame because this tent seems to tick all the boxes)

Should I focus on getting a bigger wardrobe and stick with my original tent option?

I want to rely on this tent setup for consistent personal supply, should I instead focus on two plants? or achieving a great yield with one carefully chosen auto strain?

420-magazine-mobile1077747046.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Re: Planning to start first grow. Need help with tent dimensions for small stealth gr

Hey guys,

A

Or

Hyper fan is quiter and draws a third the watts

Awesome chart, thanks for that man, definitely helps.

Awesome chart, thanks for that man, definitely helps.
I'm about to buy one for my grow box build so I'll post a review on my thread

What got me was at 12 cents a KWH running 18 hours a day that an $8.10 saving over a regular 200 watt fan so in a year it pays the difference between it and regular fan

Dude, I was really struggling to find the s-line fan anywhere, and was gonna have to pay £80 shipping from USA, just found the hyper fan on eBay UK £135 with postage. Mega happy. Thought the vortex was the quietest fan I could get too, and was a little worried about the power consumption. thanks so much bro.

I will keep an eye on that review, I think I will go for the 6" personally, you think that will be plenty for my tent size? and do you have any opinion on my tent size dilemma? would love to hear.

Re: Planning to start first grow - Need help with tent dimensions for small stealth g

Congratulations on entering this planning stage. It's fun. Since you are growing in a specific wardrobe, why not build it out custom...instead of squeezing a purchased tent in there? If you took some pictures I could give some more specific guidance on how to build it out. You could install a false door, zipper, or Velcro to separate the space just like a tent would do. It's a little more work, similar cost, and maximizes the wardrobes potential.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Re: Planning to start first grow - Need help with tent dimensions for small stealth g

Thanks man, I am definitely excited. What would I make it out of mate? and does it matter that it is a standing wardrobe, not built in/walk in? Good idea dude keen to find out more

Can anyone advise me on the tent options I stated?

I run a 6"s line fan and am truly happy with it I have it on a speed control and my tent is right next to my bed it sounds like I'm in a motel next to the ocean kind of a white noise sound

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Haha, thats funny you say that, every night for the past few years I have an app on my phone that plays wind/rain type white noise, i love it, so not too worried about the fan, I just want it as silent as i can for peace of mind (stealth)

I think I am now settled on a 6" hyper fan by Phresh.

Does anyone have an opinion on Rhino pro vs Phresh carbon filter? Realised the mountain air is too long in length to fit my tent, so i will need a filter that is 300mm length
The rhino is £67, the phresh around £110 but i have heard bad things about newer made rhinos :(

I am now looking at insulated ducting and a DIY silencer (unless I splash out for a Phresh silencer at £70 but seems like quite a basic tool i could replicate)

Cheers.

Can anyone advise me on the tent options I stated?

I say with LED lighting, you won't need that extra 20cm height. I'd go for the 50X50X100 tent.

Also, remember that you *could* always cut out the bottom of the tent in such a way that the pot hangs out through the bottom of tent. So, for example let's say your pot is 20cm tall. The pot sits on the wardrobe floor. The tent sits on some kind of wood blocks or something to raise it 15-20cm above the floor of wardrobe. That leaves only a very small amount of pot visible from inside tent.

That's a good way to maximize space in smaller tents .

Sent from a hand built ganja phone I made entirely out of cannabis buds.

Sounds like a great idea dude, wouldn't there be leakage? how could i avoid this?

Thanks mate

Sounds like a great idea dude, wouldn't there be leakage? how could i avoid this?

Thanks mate

The simplest solution would be a saucer or shallow pan to catch the runoff. This runoff could be pumped or vacuumed out of the saucer. This method would get annoying quickly.

Slightly more elaborate (if you have sufficient height) would be to use something like a plastic utility sink cut short to maybe 20cm deep and mounted under the tent. Plants would sit in modified sink. Sink would drain into a bucket you can easily dump down a real sink in your home.

I have personally done something very similar with a utility sink I purchased from lowes.com for $25

A "water heater drain pan" could be helpful too since it has a drain pipe on the side which could empty into a bucket.

Back
Top Bottom