Plant drooping

Allhailthebud

420 Member
Hey guys, thought I would get opinions on what you think is happening with my ladies. The 1 plant is drooping a lot, I've been giving them 4 liters every 4 days or so, they are just starting week 3 of veg, letting them dry out, then giving them more. Please keep in mind they are under white cobs so the plants look more yellow then they are, their color looks pretty nice and green the pics dont do them justice in this regard. I've been giving them some cal mag with nutes, phed between 6 and 6.5 after everything is added. Some of the plants are doing ok, but the 1 is laying down a lot. This picture was taken 3 hours before they go to sleep, running 18 and 6 until flowering. What do you guys think. Daytime temps are around 22ish degrees, nights do get cool, around 15ish degrees Celsius. I've been keeping rh around 50% let me know what you guys think, thanks for any information take care....

20210224_062839.jpg

You said it was taken 3 hours before lights out. Does your plant look like this through the whole day, compared to the others? Or is this more pronounced before lights out.

Our plants get in tune and wake up before lights on and some get lazy when they know their rest is coming.

Are these all the same strain?

I find it odd as well if all are being treated equal, that one goes rogue and does it's own thing, unless perhaps it's a different strain and the urge to relax before lights off is more pronounced in that particular strain's genetics.

Just thinkin'...

Howdy do. What medium are you growing in? It looks like the bushiest and heavyweight of the 4. It may need a little more water than the rest. Some drink more than others . How dry is the medium in that pot and have you got any close up pictures. As PP, said some plants will wilt a few hours before lights out. They put themselves to bed for the night.

The 1 plant is drooping a lot, I've been giving them 4 liters every 4 days or so, they are just starting week 3 of veg, letting them dry out, then giving them more.
Hi @Allhailthebud and welcome to the forum!
Yours is a classic problem of new growers of weeds. You are overwatering by watering too often. You are thinking for your plants and giving them water when YOU think they need it, not when THEY actually need it. You are obviously just drying out the top of the container, whilst there is still a lake full of water in the bottom half of the container.

In veg, the plants should be able to use their water faster and faster, until they use it so fast that they need to be uppotted. With every watering the roots should get stronger, and more able to drain the water you give them, and the time between waterings should steadily drop.

So you have been coming along and rewatering every 4 days, before the water is used up and you have been keeping your lower roots under water all of this time. They think they are in a flood, so they have had to protect themselves by covering themselves with a protective coating, and being so protected, they can not produce the water pressure needed to raise all of the leaves up. The roots at the bottom, the important tap and feeder roots are dying, being drowned to death and the only active roots at the moment are the top spreader roots that exist in the first 4-5 inches of soil. When you refill that lake of water in your container every 4 days, for a while those upper roots are happy and getting the plant what it needs, so temporarily the plant rises up and looks happy again. As soon as the plant has used enough of that water to drop the water table below the spreader roots, the plant is in trouble again, barely able to get enough water to survive through those atrophied lower roots.

Instead of checking the top for moisture, use the lift method to tell when it is time to water. Fill up another similar container with DRY soil. Lift it in one hand. Now lift your plant in the other hand. Feel the difference? That is water weight... and it because of gravity is sitting in the bottom of that container. Do not water again until the two weights are similar. Your soil should feel as dry as the sahara desert, and should be pulling away from the sides and maybe even showing cracks on the surface. The first time you wait for this to happen, it could take a week to 10 days if your lower roots are that damaged, but then every watering after that will come sooner... until your plant will be able to drain that container in 24-36 hours. When it can do that, your roots are strong, and it is time to uppot to start building a new rootball in the larger container.

Please read my how to properly water article, referenced in my signature lines. This very popular article will show you the importance of a strong wet/dry cycle while in veg, as well as why we uppot, and a little bit about pH adjusting too. Give it a read while you wait for your plants to dry out properly... I think it will be well worth your time.

Hi Emilya, I am sorry to bother you, but i just wanted to make sure. For that 1 plant that is drooping, as long as i let it dry out it should recover then right?
yes, I think once you learn how to use the wet/dry cycle that this plant needs, that you will do just fine with this plant.

Can't tell if thats coco or soil.
If its coco you're probably underwatering, if its soil its possible one may not be transpiring as much as the others and could have wet feet, meaning the lower half of the pot could be saturated thus deprived of oxygen.
First NEVER half fill a pot, thats never good and can cause a microclimate that can cause problems especially in the first week or so.

You are way too cold also, 59 to 71 degrees with 50% humidity your VPD is a bit off.
You should get your temp up to about 77 to 80 and your humidity to about 65-70% at this stage.
Your roots will warm up and the plant should transpire more, using more water and taking up more nutrients.

Ty all for your responses, valuable information and I will take it gladly. My medium is soil for those wondering with about 30% perlite mixed in. I hear what your saying nunya, unfortunately for some reason soil is hard to come by during the pandemic where i am, so i bought what they had, and could only fill my 5g smart pots about 3/4 full. It is cool in my grow tent, however they are all indicas and so usually a little cooler is ok right? Emiliya was spot on with her advice, so I am just gonna let that 1 drooping dry right out, hopefully those lower roots will recover, i have so much to learn lol...

Ty all for your responses, valuable information and I will take it gladly. My medium is soil for those wondering with about 30% perlite mixed in. I hear what your saying nunya, unfortunately for some reason soil is hard to come by during the pandemic where i am, so i bought what they had, and could only fill my 5g smart pots about 3/4 full. It is cool in my grow tent, however they are all indicas and so usually a little cooler is ok right? Emiliya was spot on with her advice, so I am just gonna let that 1 drooping dry right out, hopefully those lower roots will recover, i have so much to learn lol...

yes, I think once you learn how to use the wet/dry cycle that this plant needs, that you will do just fine with this plant.
Hey Emily, I would like to re read your watering guide, could you link it or tell me where I could find it? Sorry but I can't seem to find it, I read it awhile back and it was excellent information. Tyvm :)
Hi Emily, sorry to bother you again, I cant seem to find your watering guide. Would you be able to link it or tell me where it is? It's an awesome guide and I could use the help, ty so much...

Hey Emily, I would like to re read your watering guide, could you link it or tell me where I could find it? Sorry but I can't seem to find it, I read it awhile back and it was excellent information. Tyvm :)

Hi Emily, sorry to bother you again, I cant seem to find your watering guide. Would you be able to link it or tell me where it is? It's an awesome guide and I could use the help, ty so much...

Right here on my signature file:

Hey nutty, thx for the response. I actually did cut the pots last week, I agree completely with what u said, now they are getting better airflow which should help. I've posted some recent pics if any of you guys are interested on where the ladies are at now...

20210228_041346.jpg

20210228_041340.jpg

Nunya has some sharp eyes. It's more than the folding over. The damage appears to be a critter. If it is mites, you may not see them. They are microscopic and difficult to see.

When I had mites, I never saw them but the damage was undeniable. They chew on tender young leaves and when those leaves grow out, the damage is visible.

Back
Top Bottom