Planting germinated seeds while weather is cold?

delta.9

My seeds have germinated and I want to plant them but it's pretty cold outside (50-60*). Should I keep them in my garage until it warms up with a fluorescent light on them? Or can I just leave them outside? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :grinjoint:

I'd keep them inside till the nighttime temps are in the 50 's.

Flourescent lights ( double bulb 48 inch shop lights )should work fine . The more the better , and keep them as close as possible . 18 - 6 is OK. How many plants , and how big are the pots ?

Flourescent lights ( double bulb 48 inch shop lights )should work fine . The more the better , and keep them as close as possible . 18 - 6 is OK. How many plants , and how big are the pots ?

I have a hydro setup, so I'm using the 36" fluorescent fixture I had for that. The only reason it's cooler out is because of some rains we were having but it's supposed to be warming up tomorrow indefinitely. Therefor this should only be temporary. Each seedling (4 total) is in it's own 10" pot with organic soil and plenty of perlite.

What do ya think?

Only 4 ? One light will be fine if it's going to be short term. Good luck in your endeavor.:allgood:

also keep in mind that if you dont have heating in your garage then it is going to be just as cold in the garage as it is outside and florescent lights dont give off much heat.

^so true ! ^

That being said, what is the coldest temperature they can tolerate? Tonight it's supposed to be 50* and from then on it will be no colder than that.

They can survive anything above 32 degrees , as long as the water in the cells of plant tissue doesn't freeze and rupture the cells. Colder temps also will promote mold , fungus problems, and will greatly retard growth , and possibly cause an unwanted ratio of male to female plants. It's been my experience that warmer optimal temps are best , especially in the seedling stage. :peace:

They can survive anything above 32 degrees , as long as the water in the cells of plant tissue doesn't freeze and rupture the cells. Colder temps also will promote mold , fungus problems, and will greatly retard growth , and possibly cause an unwanted ratio of male to female plants. It's been my experience that warmer optimal temps are best , especially in the seedling stage. :peace:

Shiza lol...I hope it warms up QUICK! I guess 60s+ are ok (crosses fingers)

unfortunately the balast on my light blew. so no light :(

BUUUUT they are doing really well so far and have already started growing the 3rd set of leaves. Some are bigger/healthier looking than others, but I guess that's Mother Nature doing her thing.

Back
Top Bottom