noobiebean

420 Member
Hi everybody,

I am currently growing 2 photoperiod plants, my medium is coco with some perlite.
The first 2 feedings i used synthetic nutrients because i still had some left, but now I want to switch to a complete organic regiment.
I flushed the two plants with water ph'ed to 6.2, and that is when the plants started sagging. I'm thinking this was because i overwatered, but now even when the pots are dry, they are still drooping. I sprayed a compost tea (compost, worm castings, liquid seaweed and molasses) on them this morning, as well as on the top medium of the soil. (dilluted)
I was thinking the plants might not like the incremental ph changes, but i don't see how else i can make this work.
The plants were germinated in rockwool, then transplanted into coco.
I also topped the plants a couple of days ago which definitely didn't help with the stress.

The plan is to transplant them in a week or 2 into the autopots, with coco, perlite, worm castings, some mycorrhiza, and 2 biotabs.
I have some organic boosters for the plants health such as alg-a-mic (liquid seaweed) and acti vera (aloe vera based supplement.)
The strains are blue gelato 41 and gorilla zkittelz by barneys farm.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Week 4-2.jpg
    Week 4-2.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Week 4.jpg
    Week 4.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 221
Ok, let us take it step by step.
First of all, coco and perlite = no nutrients in it. And it is not soil. Call it medium :) to avoid confusion.
Before the flush, were they looking like this?
What size are the pots?
They seem to want bigger pots and give them nutrients for coco and see

No, I actually have some pictures of before the flush. As you can see on the second picture, one of the plants was already a bit droopy. I'll also attach my nutrient regiment as an image.

Thank you

Attachments

• Week 4-4.jpg
    Week 4-4.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Week 4.jpg
    Week 4.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Schermafbeelding 2019-01-24 om 09.15.23.png
    Schermafbeelding 2019-01-24 om 09.15.23.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 111
Hi everybody,

I am currently growing 2 photoperiod plants, my medium is coco with some perlite.
The first 2 feedings i used synthetic nutrients because i still had some left, but now I want to switch to a complete organic regiment.
I flushed the two plants with water ph'ed to 6.2, and that is when the plants started sagging. I'm thinking this was because i overwatered, but now even when the pots are dry, they are still drooping. I sprayed a compost tea (compost, worm castings, liquid seaweed and molasses) on them this morning, as well as on the top medium of the soil. (dilluted)
I was thinking the plants might not like the incremental ph changes, but i don't see how else i can make this work.
The plants were germinated in rockwool, then transplanted into coco.
I also topped the plants a couple of days ago which definitely didn't help with the stress.

The plan is to transplant them in a week or 2 into the autopots, with coco, perlite, worm castings, some mycorrhiza, and 2 biotabs.
I have some organic boosters for the plants health such as alg-a-mic (liquid seaweed) and acti vera (aloe vera based supplement.)
The strains are blue gelato 41 and gorilla zkittelz by barneys farm.

Thank you so much!
Up pot that girl brother and she'll probably sort herself out. I dont use coco so beyond that i dont really wanna comment lol. @Preston9mm what you think cuz? I know you've enjoyed the coco?

You cannot overwater coco. Especially coco and perlite. Your plan for adding myco's later will be futile since you are not growing in a living soil. Even though you will be switching to all organics you will be growing in a way that is called a soup. Because you will be feeding raw organic fertilizers to the plant. This means that you will eventually probably have some salts laying around at the roots with some of the products mentioned and your mycos wont be able to live in the rhizosphere like they should to really benefit your plant. If you were growing with a soil with castings and minerals that has been precooked and has plenty of microbial life in it then your micos would have a much better chance of living because with your teas you would be feeding the microbes and then you're microbes will chelate the nutrients for you and intern feed your plant. I think you really need some guidance perhaps by @Emilya if shes willing to dive into this one.

You cannot overwater coco. Especially coco and perlite. Your plan for adding myco's later will be futile since you are not growing in a living soil. Even though you will be switching to all organics you will be growing in a way that is called a soup. Because you will be feeding raw organic fertilizers to the plant. This means that you will eventually probably have some salt issues at the roots and your mycos wont be able to live in the rhizosphere like they should to really benefit your plant. If you were growing with a soil with castings and minerals that has been precooked and has plenty of microbial life in it then your micos would have a much better chance of living because with your teas you would be feeding the microbes and then you're microbes will chelate the nutrients for you and intern feed your plant. I think you really need some guidance perhaps by @Emilya if shes willing to dive into this one.
I did think organics and coco not sounding right. Yer she knows her ish!

Thanks for all the quick responses! I read that if I ammend my coco with worm castings it would be able to have a microlife.
On the biotabs website it says that their organic slow release fertilizer tablets are suited for coco use.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2019-01-24 om 09.36.19.png
    Schermafbeelding 2019-01-24 om 09.36.19.png
    676.4 KB · Views: 101
I did think organics and coco not sounding right. Yer she knows her ish!
Well, many or most living organic soils are cut with coco for drainage, pH buffering etc but going from a synthetic 100%coco grow to organic is odd. Right now the plant has no living soil to chelate raw organics too so I can see several major obstacles that will have to be fought. That's where Em may be able go guide.

Thanks for all the quick responses! I read that if I ammend my coco with worm castings it would be able to have a microlife.
On the biotabs website it says that their organic slow release fertilizer tablets are suited for coco use.
Yes, it sure can have microlife however the purpose of microlife is to break down nutrients so the plant can uptake them. Since your ewc's will not be precooked with nutrients and amendments you will have to force feed the plant the way synthetic grows work. You dont have a soil already living with lots of nutrition in it that has been chelated by microbes. You will have to use organic acids/salts to chelate it for your plant so it can eat. Maybe Em will help here because I'm shooting in the dark. Maybe adding some high quality organic bag soil to your ewc's would help. I'm not sure.

Yes, it sure can have microlife however the purpose of microlife is to break down nutrients so the plant can uptake them. Since your ewc's will not be precooked with nutrients and amendments you will have to force feed the plant the way synthetic grows work. You dont have a soil already living with lots of nutrition in it that has been chelated by microbes. You will have to use organic acids/salts to chelate it for your plant so it can eat. Maybe Em will help here because I'm shooting in the dark. Maybe adding some high quality organic bag soil to your ewc's would help. I'm not sure.
On the up side there are bottled nutes that are supposed to be organic? Bio bizz does some that are supposed to work well... but again dont know how well they will work in coco.
I have seen one dude on youtube use just seaweed extract as food in coco?

On the up side there are bottled nutes that are supposed to be organic? Bio bizz does some that are supposed to work well... but again dont know how well they will work in coco.
I have seen one dude on youtube use just seaweed extract as food in coco?
A nutrient line like that may be the best bet at this point. That is all organic but there are a lot of those chelating acids in there that will help the plant be able to uptake the food given to it. I think switching to something like that would be simple but going to and all living soil seems pretty darn tough at this point unless it's precooked and ready to go.

I just transplanted the two plants into the autopots.
I used coco, perlite, worm castings, some potting soil and some mycorrhiza. I also pushed in 2 biotabs per pot.
I think the issue might have been that the plant was rootbound. on the pictures you can see the roots circle around!
I dusted the transplant with some mycorrhiza and watered with liquid seaweed. (PH 6.5)
Let's hope they bounce back!

Attachments

• IMG_20190124_102558.jpg
    IMG_20190124_102558.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20190124_102603.jpg
    IMG_20190124_102603.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20190124_102808.jpg
    IMG_20190124_102808.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20190124_102810.jpg
    IMG_20190124_102810.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 168
I used coco, perlite, worm castings, some potting soil and some mycorrhiza. I also pushed in 2 biotabs per pot.
I think the issue might have been that the plant was rootbound. on the pictures you can see the roots circle around!
I dusted the transplant with some mycorrhiza and watered with liquid seaweed. (PH 6.5)
Yeppp she was rootbound lol. Good shout up potting her. Yah so look into bottled organic nutes maybe? Bio bizz is one i know of but im sure theres one on your side of the water couldnt tell ya what it is though cuz

Hi, Yeah Biobizz is actually produced on my side of the water ;-), I already have a couple of their nutes, being Alg-a-mic and Acti-vera. These are additives though, so the plants won't be able to live on that. I put 2 biotabs in the soil, this slow release nutrient has a npk of 15-7-8 so in flower i'll probably supplement with some guano tea. Thanks for all your guys' responses!

Edit: i'll keep you guys updated on the plants!

Hi everyone... it is possible to grow organically in coco by using organic nutes. It isnt actually true organic growing, but those expensive nutes can definitely help to produce a product that seems a lot closer to an organic grow than not. It is also possible to use myco and those fungi can help root development... as long as the most important organic rule is followed.. no chlorine. The EWC can even be marginally effective in adding some microlife to the grow if attempts are made to keep it alive. Keep in mind that no microlife will continue to grow in this medium since there are no minerals for the microlife to eat and nothing in there to support their population like you have in soil. If you continue to supplement the microlife population and nutrition by using a good nutrient line complete with microlife, you can fake it though.

That's quite a mix of mediums

Interested to see how it works out for ya

Hi everyone... it is possible to grow organically in coco by using organic nutes. It isnt actually true organic growing, but those expensive nutes can definitely help to produce a product that seems a lot closer to an organic grow than not. It is also possible to use myco and those fungi can help root development... as long as the most important organic rule is followed.. no chlorine. The EWC can even be marginally effective in adding some microlife to the grow if attempts are made to keep it alive. Keep in mind that no microlife will continue to grow in this medium since there are no minerals for the microlife to eat and nothing in there to support their population like you have in soil. If you continue to supplement the microlife population and nutrition by using a good nutrient line complete with microlife, you can fake it though.
Thank goodness you gave some input :rofl:. At least I know I wasn't totally wrong on everything here, just some things ;-)

Back
Top Bottom