Plants leaves are turning yellow!

DaHui

A buddy of mine is growing and he's got some problems. I haven't checked out the plants yet, but I will very soon.. I'll take pics and all.

What I know is the following:

Indica strain, exact name is known..

He started them from clones, all was good in vedgin, he got them up to 12" to 14" in height and set them to 12/12 22 days ago.

He's got them in 8" pots and stuck three 6-12-6 nutes in there close to 2 months ago.

He's got a 400w HPS in there. It's presently about 3 feet from the plants (to high up right?)

Problem:
After a week, the plants started loosing all its lower leaves, turning yellowish like if they were burnt.. Now 3 weeks in the flowering stage he's only got the main cola that has leaves and the ends are starting to burn too..

I told him that he should of transplanted them into larger pots before he his the flowering stage cuz 8" was to small.. And that he might put to much nutes in there.He doesn't wanna trim the end of the yellow turning leaves, and I dont know what else to say cuz I'm not a grower.. The 6-12-6 nutes are completly dissolved in the earth and he's been trying to flush it to save everything from getting burnt.

What's making the leaves got yellow? PH level to high? To much nutes? How can we save these babies?

Also, he wants to accelerate the flowering cycle, so he set the light to 10/14 and in a couple weeks he'll bring them to 8/16.. Good? Bad?

I need some green thumb advice.

Thanks and much love to all.
:bongrip:

Those plants are stunted and will grow no more but stay alive.
Root mass is binded and they are choked. A transplant would have help but at this stage you would do the work for very little gains. Sometimes, some things are to late. Your dealing with living plants and when the root mass gets compromised, so does the canopy. (This is why hybrid vigor doesn't tranfer over to the clones, the way the roots are born. I could elaborate but then it just becomes boring mumbo jumbo.)

Thanks for all you help Dank and Herban Legend.

Yeah, 8" is very small, I told him that.. Is it to late to tranplant? Will it stress the plant out? I was thinking of going for it anyways but he wasnt up to it..

Yeah, my buddy hasn't come to this site yet.. Hopefully he will in the near futur.

I'll keep you guys posted.

So from what I've been reading on the site, he might have a potassium deficiency. This is what we taught of, I just forgot to mention it initialy and I think my reading have confirmed this. And since he used 6-12-6, should he flush and then try to get some higher N and K nutes in there to regain leaves and flowers? Or just a get a potassium only nute?

He's been flushing his soil very slowly for the last couple of days, he doesn't wanna over water... I suppose flushing will also reduce the ph, right? I suppose the important thing would be to get a regular PH level so that the macronutrients are absorbed properly, how would we do that?

I am sorry but flushing will do nothing but make things worse. As long as those roots are binded, you have no more room for growth. With the restricting and choking the roots are going thru, she is going to slowly die.
Already roots are rotting, thats why the leaves fell off, oldest leaves first.
The root mass can nolonger support this and will slowly shed everything down to the buds being last. Even a transplant at a late stage in flower will help very little cause the damage is done. The choked out roots will and is rotting so any deficiencies the plant shows will be directly related to the dieing roots.

I am unaware of flushing causing a problem. in fact, I never heard that it could, as long as proper drainage is there.

that container is definitely too small. that seems to be the only thing us 'growers' agree on.

I have never seen roots rot because the container was too small, but I guess he has 'years' of experience over me, so who knows?
Pleaes don't think I am a bragging queen madona, I am not. I am here to learn through others and pass along what info I have learned. I personally think you grow very well. So well that problems like this you had because you better prepared yourself before you dived into this hobby.

There is no such thing as proper drainage for a root bound plant. Infected areas of the root mass start to slime and flushing just moves it around.
Over bounded roots can work as a basket and hold too much still water in place yet large amounts of water still drain thru. This is also known as pocketing and or pooling.
Anybody that has experience this learns that when roots bind up into a single mass its own roots will and can strangle each other causing death and decay and rot is very hard to get rid of, the plants stay stunted.(You never heard of putting to many plants into a single container and one plant chokes out the other?)
I understand why you guys try to keep a optimistic view of the situation but we all know there are good grows and there are bad grows. This is a bad grow with damage so bad that yeild and size will never be achieve. This is part of getting experience and will either make the person quit growing or strive to get better at it.
And Dank, flushing is over watering and can be very stressful to a soil grown plant, especially one thats already weakened by mistreatment and disease. (would you also flush a plant thats been damaged from overwatering?)
Years of expo mean nothing if you don't learn from your grows. And I don't say this to be mean, its just a fact in life. You learn from your mistakes.
Besides, why are you ready to diagnose other problems when the person won't fix the main problem.
If you want to prove me wrong, please be my guest. It won't be the first time and it won't be the last.
This person has less than 38 days to the normal harvest date and has lost almost all its leaves. That is just not enough time for the plants to correct this problem. More than likely you will have to harvest early when all growth seems to stop and all the pistils dry and friz.

Well I thank you all for every explanation and solution you have given me. Like I said, this is not my grow, it's my buddy's.. He told me stuff was wrong and I knew were to come to get help :) Hopefully he'll get his plants back into shape.. It's his call.

Also, like I had mentionned, I transmitted the information that was given to me and I have not seen the plants yet. The lyellow leaf issue might not be as bad as he says or it might just be worse.. LOL Once I see them, hopefully I'll be able to "diagnost" the problem and find a "treatment" according to everything that you guys explained. I'll also take pics and post them.

Once again, thank you!

Mk, I just spoke to him, so here's an update..

He's got 6 plants growing so we were thinking he could salvage (or doom, lol) 2 and try transplanting them in a larger pot.. He's got two 5 gallon buckets... Like Akorn mentionned, a "no food" type medium to fill up the rest of the bucket will be used. The others will get a flushing and then some nutes. Now about that.. I'm reading that at the vegetative stage, a fertilizer high in nitrogen is required. When the plants start flowering, I should change to a formula higher in phosphate and potash. But let's remember that the plants have been in the flowering stage for the past 3 weeks.. Does that make a difference, or should I concentrate on boosting the nitrogen level up right now and then deal with the rest later? So what's a good nutes ratio?

By the way, for everyone's enjoyment and good laughter (according to the grower), pictures will most probably be up tomorrow late afternoon. Hopefully you green thumbs will give us better input once you see what's up with them, lol. Thanks dudes.

Hello Dahui, :cheesygrinsmiley: Thanks again and feel free to come visit whenever you want to see the ladies grow. I can't wait to hear the replies to the pics.:laughtwo: Just a reminder, I'm off Mon-Thu. :bong:

S.

^^Ahhh, the man of the hour.. Ladies and gentleman, the grower^^

I just finished uploading the pictures to the gallery. I'll be making a thread in the grow journal section.
I was seriously impressed, the ladies aren't that bad after all. Let's hope for the best.
:bongrip:

Talking about pot size, I have 8'' pots with good drainage. When I look at this video
It seems they have 6'' pots and they grew perfectly.....
S.

Yeah I'm pretty optimistic about the transplant. It'll take a couple days for them to settle back down, hopefully we'll see positive results in the next week or so. Don't forget to rotate the plants in the room so they all get even light ;)

Hi Dank! When we transplanted them, the roots were white and dry not slimy. The root ball held up but barely. Too much Miracle grow? I read the instructions and it said to put 4 sticks in the pot but i put 3 only. I know you think, why didn't i get the real stuff? Well that's a long story. It is my 3rd try and the first time 6 plants yelded about 8 ounces dried. But I had 3 M39 and 3 red rooster. I gave them a bunch of products that the guy at HydroMax sold me. + the PH tester and PPM tester. Oh ya, they were in Hydro cubes.... The 2nd time was my 1st experience in soil and bought new products. They were in 12 inch plastic containers, about 2 gallons... and they didn't yeild a lot. Mind you i know with a 400 watt HPS lamp not to expect miracles.. Anyways this time i got lazy... not an excuse i know but really I was expecting Miracle grow to take care of it. It says Miracle no? lol
thanks for the reply, when DaHui comes over again in a couple of days we will take new pictures to see the progress...
S.

Back
Top Bottom