Plants that just wont flower

shirt120

First of all hello everyone ive read alot but this is my first post and I have an delima im running a sour desiel and it will not flower indoors or atleast i can not get it to, now for the details i have a rather small box i use 4'w x 3'l x 6' h witch is split in half one side houses the moma and the other has three tears for cuttings all fitted with cfl's only 12 on the moma and 8 per teer all grow with soil. once my cutting get good and rooted i repot them and move them under 2 400w sodium's at this time they will be between 10"-14" now this is were my problem starts within 4 weeks they jump to 4.5-5ft and no signs of flower but tje ones i set outside r doing great and will be ready in a couple more weeks this is my first run like this and dont know what i am doing wrong im sure its lightinng but why i keep the hps about 12" above them all the way up and now im out of room

You have not mentioned flowering time cycle of lights ?

For flowering to begin you need your timer set to 12/12 that is like 12 hours of light & 12 hours of darkness...

Plants when flowering will stretch also for the first few weeks another factor to include in total head room if height is an issue.

oh yes i run 18/6 for veg. and 12/12 for flower. I am coming up on the end of week five and nothi.g but they look great. Including the height of the lights i had 8ft of room not thinking i would need it i expeced a foot or two but not 4+ ?!?! I was tryi.g to run shorter clones to save space and easyer to move being i bud elsewere

or if youre running the right light schedule 12 hours on 12 hours off and they are still not flowering perhaps you have light leaking into your flowering area during its dark period which is stopping it from getting the full 12 hours straight of darkness even a torch light during their dark cycle can stop them flowering. it must be DARK

In my time here at the forums i've only encountered one other related problem to yours !

This went largely unsolved ?

Even after dropping light timing to to 10/14 on/off... but suggest its worth a try at least.

Its a pretty much a rare occurrence to which i'm unsure of what cause's this problem at present & may be an in depth process to work it out !

In the short term it may well be best to get a fresh clones/seeds of another strain to maintain personal MMJ requirements...

Or we may have start to look at environmental issues or source of clones, age of mother plant or clones from clones over a prolonged period etc etc

I have the exact same issue. Started this plant in beginning of summer, 18/6 lighting with 250W grow CFL, sharksbreath strain, growing in DWC with GHE nutes. It's now been in 12/12 for almost 5 weeks, and the only sign of flowering are a few pistils here and there... The plant looks pretty good (from my perspective), and the pistils are nice and white.

I had some problems in the beginning, with slime in the reservoir and some root rot. I solved both, but it meant the plant had to stay in veg for a few more weeks to gain size. Could that be a factor in the long ass flowering time?

As I live in Norway, it's getting cold, and the room where I keep the plant is at around 14º (~57F), and I'm having trouble getting the heat up without wasting too much energy.. Could that be a factor?

The only Co2 source I have is 5 liters of fermenting apple cider (refreshed every 2 weeks or so). I know I should have a bigger source of Co2, but I can't afford a dedicated system, and I'm not able to drink enough apple cider to warrant another 5 liter fermenter. :D are low Co2 levels a potential factor?

Edit: Oh, and I have no light leakage. I have covered up the windows to the room, the dark period is during the night, and the room is not in regular use.

And just for kicks, a photo.
20131012_122701.jpg

Lol, she looks really lopsided in that photo, but that's just because I had just rotated her and hadn't remembered to adjust the lst strings...

Of all the concerns mentioned above, the one that stands out is temperature. A long vegetation period would only allow the plant to become more sexually mature. All that I've read says that CO2 addition is only of real value in extreme heat situations. I think the low temps is the cause of your slow flowering. See if you can get the heat up into the high 60's/low 70's amd I'll bet she takes off. :goodluck:

Of all the concerns mentioned above, the one that stands out is temperature. A long vegetation period would only allow the plant to become more sexually mature. All that I've read says that CO2 addition is only of real value in extreme heat situations. I think the low temps is the cause of your slow flowering. See if you can get the heat up into the high 60's/low 70's amd I'll bet she takes off. :goodluck:

That is a really good point...

Low temperature can slow growth even stunting plant development :thumb:

If temps are the problem, then I'd suggest hanging a few CFLs in there, they'll provide a constant heat source during lights on and your plants will get more light and development will be better. The common CFL (20-23w) will use about 8kw a month running 12 hours a day, I don't know how much money that is where you live but here that's merely USD$1.5, that is one dollar and fifty cents per CFL per month. I don't know how much heat they put out (in BTUs or whatever other measurement)

So that's a cheap option for heating, if you cabinet is more or less well insulated the temp shouldn't go down all that much. And you get the extra boost of a few more lights. Some people say that CFLs don't work for flower.. they're very wrong.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and happy growing!

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've sat a small heater outside the intake holes, and now the temps are 18-20. Can go higher, but would I want to?

Let's hope this works!

If they don't flower, turn the light off even for 72 hours and they will :)
I actually read about non-budding strains and it seems to be a breeding issue!

Back
Top Bottom